Your country's most disappointing World Juniors

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
All of them since 2005?lol

The one that bugged me was the Varada coached team with Dostal, Necas, Zadina and Kaut. I felt we could've done something there to win the quarters and fight for a medal.

Last year was really disapointing because Jenik looked to be on another level and he got hurt in game 2 or 3. Lauko was our second best forward coming from AHL and got hurt in the first shift. It happens to everyone but losing our 2 best players with 6 periods was disapointing.

As long as we sneak out a win over Austria, this year won't be disapointing. Maybe in OTL or OTW and I'll be celebrating like the Oil just won the cup.

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
Actually, if Slovakia doesn't fall down, it is a good championship.

That is an unnecessarily negative view. Yes of course it is true, but still it is cynical. I believe this is the 35th year of SVK in the WJCU20, with no relegations and two bronze medals. Of course they have had teams that have disappointed and teams that have overachieved.

A disappointment for me was the 2005 team. The core of the team won silver at the WJCU18 in 2003. Halak in net, the smooth skating Andrej Sekera on defense along with Andrej Meszaros who one year later would be named to the NHL all rookie team. Halak posted a .916 SV% that tournament and a 2.17 GAA, but the team could do no better than 7th place.

I did not much care for 2010 either. The entire top line of Panik-Viedensky-Tatar returned after their 4th place finish in 2009 but the team really struggled one year later.

Reactions: Czechboy

Weast

May 16, 2011
2011 Team Canada for me.
Having the shit eating grin smacked off my face when the Russians wiped a 3-0 lead was devastating lol

Reactions: Sweetpotato

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
That is an unnecessarily negative view. Yes of course it is true, but still it is cynical. I believe this is the 35th year of SVK in the WJCU20, with no relegations and two bronze medals. Of course they have had teams that have disappointed and teams that have overachieved.

Yeah, but in U18 they were relegated down 2-times. One shity game and it could be over. There was one Championships recently when actually another game decided, that Slovakia will stay in A group.

Again to topic. Team 1999/2000 was full packed with offensive stars from junior leagues and high drafted players. There were some from famous Bronze team in 1998/1999.
But the result was very very disappointing. Relegation games with Ukraine. First one lost 1:3. Emergency call to Slovakia for another head coach Jan Filc. He came, he saw, he won.
The decision came in shootout! So, the disaster war really close.

novisor

Feb 6, 2012
Kitchener, ON
In my memory of this tournament (2005 - ) it's gotta be 2013 - you just knew they weren't good enough. The semi-final against the American's was an ass kicking that you knew was coming.

Lartsaman

Aug 2, 2018
Finland
Most of the tournaments have been more or less disappointments apart from the ones we won gold. Of course the relegation disasters(2013 and 2017) are on the top. Im talking about Team Finland.

Last years tournament was also hard to watch sometimes. Only the game against the US was good.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
For Czechs it has to be 2010.
Lost 10-1 to Sweden in the first round robin game.
Ended up in relegation round that year.
Definitely the lowest point I think in Czech hockey.
Gudas was the best guy that year.

Finland was weak as well.

Reactions: Czechboy

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
So 60% of all world juniors and 7 out of the last 10 have been a MAJOR dissapointment. Got it.

Yes. You probably think you're flexing but you really just look clueless.

That, or you've never been to Canada or just live under a rock. It really is a major disappointment whenever Canada doesn't win at this tournament. It's funny how people don't realize how seriously Canadians take this event. Most people I know care about the juniors a hell of alot more than any other hockey event, Stanley Cup playoffs/finals included.

Last edited:

novisor

Feb 6, 2012
Kitchener, ON

That, or you've never been to Canada or just live under a rock. It really is a major disappointment whenever Canada doesn't win at this tournament. It's funny how people don't realize how seriously Canadians take this event. Most people I know care about the juniors a hell of alot more than any other hockey event, Stanley Cup playoffs/finals included.
You're mostly right. I am one of those people that probably cares more about the WJC (just given the tradition and time of year) than a run-of-the-mill NHL playoff series. However, I wouldn't say it's a "major" disappointment everytime Canada loses. For example, getting silver in an OT loss to the Americans after 5 straight gold medals in 2010? Disappointing ending but not a "major disappointment". Failing to medal in 2013 and getting our asses kicked by the Americans in the semi-final, after 3 years without gold? Possibly "major" category, especially when viewing the roster, but even that's up for debate. It really depends on a few factors, how loaded the team is, where it's being hosted/played, and how long it's been since Canada has won Gold. So for example, if Canada were to have lost the 2015 tournament, with McDavid, Domi, Reinhart, Duclair, etc., on home ice after not medaling in 2013 & 2014 (and not winning since 2009) would definitely have been a "major" disappointment, and possibly autopsy-inducing.

snu22fint

Jun 19, 2016

You don't know what major dissapointment means. At least not in this context. As a swedish hockey fan I too care a f***ton about this tournament, its the highligt of every year apart from best on best mens tournaments, and they don't happen that often. Sweden made the semis more times than Canada during the last 10 years and have only one less finals appearance. We are fighting for gold just as much as you are. Not getting to the semis is a pretty big dissapointment for any swedish hockey fan. Not making the finals is a dissapointment too ofc. And loosing a final is obviously a dissapointment. When the majority of all events ends width a dissapointment you'll have to reserve the MAJOR tag to special cases. Otherwise hockeyfans from USA, Canada, Sweden, Russia and Finland can all just say that not winning gold is a MAJOR dissapointment and we have nothing to discuss.

Canada do have more hockey fans than anyone else. So collectively you feel more pain when you are not winning but induvidually between you and me, it probably feel just about the same.

WaW

Mar 18, 2017
You don't know what major dissapointment means. At least not in this context. As a swedish hockey fan I too care a f***ton about this tournament, its the highligt of every year apart from best on best mens tournaments, and they don't happen that often. Sweden made the semis more times than Canada during the last 10 years and have only one less finals appearance. We are fighting for gold just as much as you are. Not getting to the semis is a pretty big dissapointment for any swedish hockey fan. Not making the finals is a dissapointment too ofc. And loosing a final is obviously a dissapointment. When the majority of all events ends width a dissapointment you'll have to reserve the MAJOR tag to special cases. Otherwise hockeyfans from USA, Canada, Sweden, Russia and Finland can all just say that not winning gold is a MAJOR dissapointment and we have nothing to discuss.

Canada do have more hockey fans than anyone else. So collectively you feel more pain when you are not winning but induvidually between you and me, it probably feel just about the same.

Your post, (which is ridiculous, and I'll explain why) is based around this idea of mutually exclusive nonsense.

This is a 10 team tournament, where 5 countries can ever expect to win gold, and 3 of them every year at this point (Canada, Sweden, and USA). Fans of these teams are always expecting gold because the field is so limited. Just because Swedish fans can also feel significant disappointment at their result doesn't mean Canadian fans can't also feel a sense of major disappointment for falling short in the same event. You completely lost me with your argument on that one.

Other than that, you're trying to start a fight over the word "major", and have overreacted in a rather extreme manner to do so. Again, I'm not one for the whole internet flexing thing, so you may want to try your luck elsewhere with that one.

WaW

Mar 18, 2017
You're mostly right. I am one of those people that probably cares more about the WJC (just given the tradition and time of year) than a run-of-the-mill NHL playoff series. However, I wouldn't say it's a "major" disappointment everytime Canada loses. For example, getting silver in an OT loss to the Americans after 5 straight gold medals in 2010? Disappointing ending but not a "major disappointment". Failing to medal in 2013 and getting our asses kicked by the Americans in the semi-final, after 3 years without gold? Possibly "major" category, especially when viewing the roster, but even that's up for debate. It really depends on a few factors, how loaded the team is, where it's being hosted/played, and how long it's been since Canada has won Gold. So for example, if Canada were to have lost the 2015 tournament, with McDavid, Domi, Reinhart, Duclair, etc., on home ice after not medaling in 2013 & 2014 (and not winning since 2009) would definitely have been a "major" disappointment, and possibly autopsy-inducing.

I think this whole thing is people overreacting to my use of a subjective yet pretty harmless adjective because we're in a pandemic and no one has anything better to do.

Rusty7550

Aug 11, 2018
For Czechs it has to be 2010.
Lost 10-1 to Sweden in the first round robin game.
Ended up in relegation round that year.
Definitely the lowest point I think in Czech hockey.
Gudas was the best guy that year.

Finland was weak as well.
I think the lowest point has to be IIHF U18 2007. That team was actually relegated. Lost 3-6 to Germany in relegation round. Jakub Voracek was part of that team if i am not mistaken.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad