GDT: YOUR CAROLINA HURRICANES play outdoors in the "PNC Football Arena...or whatever it is"!

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
Once again the Hurricanes and Raleigh showed the Nation and the NHL how to put on a Special Event. reference the All Star Game and now the Stadium Series. Now the question is will the NHL listen this time or will they continue to ignore the Hurricanes as they have in the past?

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I didn't attend this game in person, but watching on TV, the whole thing gave me chills. I can see how fans of other teams are ambivalent about these games or think they've been over-done, etc.... as I'm not as excited about other teams' outdoor games like I was for the first few either, but when it's your team, it makes is special. Seeing the rink, the crowd, the pyrotechnics, the marching band, and even the fly-over just gave me chills. The whole game I just kept saying to my wife: "this is awesome".

Other than the traffic/lines, I don't see how the NHL and the Canes could have done better. The stadium was perfect, the rink was great, the ice was great, the weather was great and on TV, it just looked awesome. A real feather in the cap for Dundon, the Canes, the NHL and the local area.

You've heard of super bowl babies.....

Soon they'll be talking about stadium series babies. The hospitals will be overwhelmed in 9 months.

But for real...I'm not a very sentimental person and the whole thing was awesome.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
That was an excellent broadcast that was basically a celebration of the Canes. Well called game, aside from the surge the production was pretty spot on. Great night.

Ferraro’s commentary about what we need was pretty interesting. We have enough 200 ft players we could use a 50 ft player that specializes in burying those two or three chances per game. Felt like he knows that’s exactly what we are going for.

surfzone365

Jan 13, 2021
Ashburn, VA
You've heard of super bowl babies.....

Soon they'll be talking about stadium series babies. The hospitals will be overwhelmed in 9 months.

But for real...I'm not a very sentimental person and the whole thing was awesome.
Feeling like you’re giving birth due to all the food and “beverages” you consumed the prior day also counts!

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
That was an excellent broadcast that was basically a celebration of the Canes. Well called game, aside from the surge the production was pretty spot on. Great night.

Ferraro’s commentary about what we need was pretty interesting. We have enough 200 ft players we could use a 50 ft player that specializes in burying those two or three chances per game. Felt like he knows that’s exactly what we are going for.

I think it's somewhat obvious though. In the off-season, they knew they needed more goal scoring so they went out and got Pacioretty, who isn't a "bad" 2-way player, but he's known for scoring goals and that's what he was brought in for.

Now they are without him, so that need still exists.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Teravainen did let on in his NHL Without a Map episode that the players maybe weren't too into the more extravagant surges and that it was the owner who was kind of insisting...

Seems like there were some players who really got into the extravagant surges and some who were much cooler to them. I'm sure there was a pretty good range of support among the team, but as one of the less enthusiastic participants, I wonder if Turbo might have been projecting just a little bit?

Team captain J Will seemed to be reasonably gung-ho, and the way I recall him telling it ownership kind of nudged the rock over the edge of the hill but the team kept it rolling from there. Of course, both my recall and interpretation may be off . . .

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Looks like Turbo, Koko, and Necas have some nice chemistry.

I'd like to see that line some more.

It makes sense now that we’ve seen it.

It lets Necas be the main play driver instead of feeling like he needs to defer to Svech and/or vice versa, KK become the clear “Svech” on the line, and TT distributes well to both.

Basically, Svech is a combo of KK and Necas’s strengths, so someone’s always gonna take a back seat when those three play together (to this point, obviously KK). Whereas Svech fills a role with Aho and Jarvis that Aho and Jarvis don’t already have between them. KK gets to shine a little more, and then they add a good true playmaker which Aho and Jarvis don’t need as much.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Seems like there were some players who really got into the extravagant surges and some who were much cooler to them. I'm sure there was a pretty good range of support among the team, but as one of the less enthusiastic participants, I wonder if Turbo might have been projecting just a little bit?

Team captain J Will seemed to be reasonably gung-ho, and the way I recall him telling it ownership kind of nudged the rock over the edge of the hill but the team kept it rolling from there. Of course, both my recall and interpretation may be off . . .

- You got these victory dances...
- Storm Surge (some prononciation mockery repeats)
- So where did that begin, who did, how did you come up with the idea to start these celebrations after a home win?
TT: - It was this our new owner Tom Dundon when he came, they are pretty much all his handwriting [creative work], he wanted to bring some experience for the fans and get the fans closer to the gang. He has done a lot of good things to get people into the arena.
- Ok, so you don't develop those yourself? I somehow had the idea that the players make them up, so they com from somewhere..
TT: - Well... the whole idea came from the owner, but of course we have to yourselves develop them some and come up with. Actually all the ideas have pretty much come already so that we are running low of them every now and them. For example yesterday if we had won our new zamboni driver goalie would have come out on the zamboni and entertain a bit, but yeah we didn't get to do that...
- What is your favorite?
TT: - Last year he had this boxing hero come up against Martinook and punch him onto the skull, that was fun. Then we have a lot a really dumb ones so I gotta roll my own eyes that what are we doing here again.
- I found the Thor thing fun, the one where dude hit in the middle and everyone went down, some of them are really cool looking, like on the tv screen when you got the all there... but like you said, there's been ones from the both ends...
- Joakim asks, Teukka what is the last book you read.
TT: - I don't think I have really ever read a book. On junior high we had to read at school, then I realized you don't have to read, you can watch a film made of that same book.

This episode, in 8 minutes 45 seconds, in Finnish:

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Side note. I was in the pretzel line in front of 3 NHL staff wearing badges.

I looked over my shoulder and said, while doing Dr evil quote fingers:
'not a hockey town'

The senior one in the group chuckled and said. Carolina isn't Atlanta. The fan base here is..... Different. The league has taken notice.

I replied - "that's neat. Too bad we were like the 28th or 29th team to finally get this".

His reply was "You've only had a decent owner for about 5 years, and two of those were Covid seasons. Ownership matters".

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Side note. I was in the pretzel line in front of 3 NHL staff wearing badges.

I looked over my shoulder and said, while doing Dr evil quote fingers:
'not a hockey town'

The senior one in the group chuckled and said. Carolina isn't Atlanta. The fan base here is..... Different. The league has taken notice.

I replied - "that's neat. Too bad we were like the 28th or 29th team to finally get this".

His reply was "You've only had a decent owner for about 5 years, and two of those were Covid seasons. Ownership matters".

So pretty much what we already knew. Karmanos’ penny pinching held this franchise back for much of the past…15 years?

Also, antagonizing NHL staff seems like a poor way of getting your message across. Perhaps it came off different than it reads.

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
It makes me unbelievably upset. I was at the game, I wanted to be there for the storm surge and after-game festivities, and we left EARLY because my group was fearful of the traffic. I thought that it was selfish beyond belief, but I didn't fight it because I thought that they would show everything on TV. A part of me just knew that national hockey media was a bunch of incompetent imbeciles and wouldn't show the surge.
I don’t get the leaving early to avoid traffic for a huge event like this. The experience is what you are paying for. Just resign yourself to sitting in the lot after the game for an hour and enjoying a beverage or two. My kids teared me to the NC Stare football homecoming game this year and they were starting to talk about leaving with 10 min left. The game was close. I was not a happy camper

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I don’t get the leaving early to avoid traffic for a huge event like this. The experience is what you are paying for. Just resign yourself to sitting in the lot after the game for an hour and enjoying a beverage or two. My kids teared me to the NC Stare football homecoming game this year and they were starting to talk about leaving with 10 min left. The game was close. I was not a happy camper

Yep. To avoid rideshare hell I set a Lyft pickup for 11:45 at Dorton arena- figuring that'd give me like an hour to spare in case there was OT, and the 15 min walk over there.

What I didn't count on was extra long intermissions between periods plus other time sinks during commercial breaks, so had to leave with 2 min left. Then had to climb over a goddamned fence at the fairgrounds (wife really did not appreciate that) because I didn't anticipate it all being locked down for some other event. Then the Lyft driver, despite having a free and clear lane onto Hillsboro street from the south side of town was thwarted by the cops and wound up being funneled back to the PNC area, and then had to pick us up in the middle of the street under the 440 overpass. Sigh. Oh well, it was a great plan on paper. Still managed to get home by 1230, so all in all not so bad. And we didn't get jammed up coming in either.

What a fantastic event though. Really well done.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
- You got these victory dances...
- Storm Surge (some prononciation mockery repeats)
- So where did that begin, who did, how did you come up with the idea to start these celebrations after a home win?
TT: - It was this our new owner Tom Dundon when he came, they are pretty much all his handwriting [creative work], he wanted to bring some experience for the fans and get the fans closer to the gang. He has done a lot of good things to get people into the arena.
- Ok, so you don't develop those yourself? I somehow had the idea that the players make them up, so they com from somewhere..
TT: - Well... the whole idea came from the owner, but of course we have to yourselves develop them some and come up with. Actually all the ideas have pretty much come already so that we are running low of them every now and them. For example yesterday if we had won our new zamboni driver goalie would have come out on the zamboni and entertain a bit, but yeah we didn't get to do that...
- What is your favorite?
TT: - Last year he had this boxing hero come up against Martinook and punch him onto the skull, that was fun. Then we have a lot a really dumb ones so I gotta roll my own eyes that what are we doing here again.
- I found the Thor thing fun, the one where dude hit in the middle and everyone went down, some of them are really cool looking, like on the tv screen when you got the all there... but like you said, there's been ones from the both ends...
- Joakim asks, Teukka what is the last book you read.
TT: - I don't think I have really ever read a book. On junior high we had to read at school, then I realized you don't have to read, you can watch a film made of that same book.

This episode, in 8 minutes 45 seconds, in Finnish:

In the Rod interview on Spittin Chiclets during the All-star break ( I posted it back then), he said the idea originally came from him (Rod) and Williams. Rod said when he played overseas during the 04 lockout, he said the team would skate and jump into the stands after a win and he thought it was hilarious so he told Williams about it and Williams came up with the Storm Surge.

Maybe Dundon then came up with some ideas? Here it is at 1:16 ish where Rod says he set the record straight on where it came from.

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
Or… maybe I’m overthinking it and sometimes lines just get stale and mixing it up works because it just does and they think it’s fun.
I think TT is still an underrated playmaker for this team, and it seems like wherever he goes players scoring goals aren’t far behind.

I was thinking about Hurricanes HOF potentials so I went to look at all time points leaders for the franchise.

Now I’m a huge Turbo fan, maybe his biggest on this message board but I didn’t quite realize he was 9th in PTS as a Hurricane.

Of the 8 players above him only E Staal and Aho have a higher PPG average than TT wearing a Hurricanes sweater. Looking slightly below him The Wizard is the only one who has a higher PPG. That’s a list that includes J Willy and Rod. Now Turbo has never been a goal scoring machine, far from it. But he’s definitely a guy who’s making things happen on the ice.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Pretty amazing

If they aren't going for that they are idiots. I don't think they idiots.

Reactions: cptjeff and zman77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad