Your best scouting hits and misses?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Being in a few keeper leagues let's me track this pretty well. Hit on Kucherov in both leagues I am in, drafted him out of Rouyn in both. I'll also admit I missed on Drouin, I thought he was going to be a future art Ross winner. I nailed Cowen, called it the moment I saw him play with any regularity.

Bought in on Kaigorodov believed the hype, noticed he was perimeter but still believed. That was a big miss.

Huge believer in Drysdale, I think I'm on the right track with that guy. As people know I'm all in on Jack Quinn I think that's still up in the air, he is very early on in his development. Once he gets stronger I think he will be a player.

Hit on Brayden Point. Hit on Zegras, may have missed on Turcotte, I've been hard on him but he looks good to me now I'm probably wrong on that one. Hope I'm right about Logan Brown, drafted him high I liked the raw tools but really think if it does happen for him it won't be here.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
I was super high on Shawn Lalonde. Thought he was gonna be the next offensive dman star in the NHL.

Reactions: Matsens15

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
High on Runblad. Got that wrong. That was a stat watching thing

DeCosta and Weircioch. Got those right. Didn't see either.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Thought Petr Schastlivy was going to be a big time player for the Sens. Was on the Kaigorodov hype train thinking we finally have at 2C to play behind Spezza.

Projected Chara to be a Norris winner, got laughed at.

Reactions: cudi

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Thought Petr Schastlivy was going to be a big time player for the Sens. Was on the Kaigorodov hype train thinking we finally have at 2C to play behind Spezza.

Projected Chara to be a Norris winner, got laughed at.

Schastlivy is a great one. Def thought he would be a player.

I remember being high on Ivan Ciernik too.

Reactions: armani

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Hits:
Mark Stone (Sole reason I found out about HFBoards/ Hockeysfuture)
David Pastrnak (Wanted Ottawa to trade up to get this guy SO bad)
Robin Lehner (Took him awhile but he got there)
Ryan O’Reilly (Biased personal story)
Adam Henrique (People thought he was a product of Taylor Hall, not from what i saw)
Lawson Crouse (Saw him play, saw his stats and was baffled that he was ahead of some of the guys in ’15, he’ll be a good 3rd/4th liner but at #11 in THAT draft!!?)
Drake Batherson (Remember seeing that first rookie camp and how impressive Batherson was over guys like Brown)

Misses:
Josh Ho-Sang (Still baffles me that he didn’t make it, skill, speed, smarts)
Alex Chaisson (I was enamoured by his start in the NHL, 7pts in 7gp)
Mitch Marner (This was just me hating on the Leafs)
Mikael Wikstand (Still believe this guy would have made it in the NHL had he not gotten homesick)
Curtis Lazar (Mem Cup, makes Sens at 19y/o then captain at the WJC!!? Sign me up!!)

Reactions: Xspyrit

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
High on Runblad. Got that wrong. That was a stat watching thing

DeCosta and Weircioch. Got those right. Didn't see either.

What he was doing in the SEL was genuinely nuts. Even had the guy who drafted Karlsson fooled.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
I like to think our ridiculous hype campaign helped maximize his value when he was eventually traded.

We're heroes.

He had one of the filthiest highlite youtube vids I've ever seen.

He taught me to take those with a grain of salt since it only shows what players do well for the most part lol

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
Mostly the same as everyone here (Rundblad and Kaigorodov) but one of the first I remember was Mark Mancari, a dman every 67s fan will remember. He was taken as an D+1 overager by Buffalo in the 7th round of 2004 after having a huge season with the 67s. He was ppg in the AHL from age 21 onwards, is a big lad (6'3"), led his AHL team in points from age 22-25. Received several callups but never stuck in the NHL.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Mostly the same as everyone here (Rundblad and Kaigorodov) but one of the first I remember was Mark Mancari, a dman every 67s fan will remember. He was taken as an D+1 overager by Buffalo in the 7th round of 2004 after having a huge season with the 67s. He was ppg in the AHL from age 21 onwards, is a big lad (6'3"), led his AHL team in points (as a dman) from age 22-25. Received several callups but never stuck in the NHL. Still produced well enough for a dman in his brief NHL stints (13pts in 42 games).

I wonder if he could have hacked it as a 4th line forward in the NHL instead of playing the more difficult dman role.

Mancari was a forward lol

Mark Mancari at eliteprospects.com

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I was convinced Spezza was clutch and the missing ingredient to win Ottawa a Cup

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Definitely thought Alex Chiasson was going to be a top line winger for us...

....then I watched him play his first game....

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I was sure Eaves was going to be a star. He almost sort of proved me right late in his career.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Not going to go through all, But I was skeptical of Chabot due to his lack of urgency/actually poise when he first game in the league. I thought it was a bit too casual and it got him in trouble, but he figured it out fast. I have the same problem with Logan Brown, but don't see him overcoming it. I knew Mark Stone was going to be good, I recall boasting about him before he tore it up in the World Juniors. Runblad, I was rooting for him but when people were saying he was going to be a better Karlsson, I knew that wasn't the case and laughed at that idea. I was hoping Brian Lee was going to be what Karlsson became LOL. Jared Cowen, thought he was literally one of the worst NHLers ever.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I remember being furious when the Rangers passed on Brent Bilodeau and picked some nobody named Alexei Kovalev.

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown
Super fun thread!

Hit: I was obsessed with Ottawa acquiring Bishop. I was certain he was a future Vezina calibre goalie.
Miss: I was also obsessed with Ottawa acquiring LeClaire. Granted, injuries derailed him, but ya, I was SO sure about him.

In both cases I was elated and then later extremely disappointed (for sifferent reasons obviously).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad