Your Best Coliseum Memories

StupidGenius

Apr 1, 2013
I remember screaming myself hoarse at my first Oilers game, a win against the Habs in the mid 90s. I remember hanging around the bowels of the Coliseum before WWF events, and even managed to meet Bill Guerin, Marty McSorely and Ron Lowe while down there. I remember my skin crawling with unbridled energy as the Oilers hit the ice for game four against the Wings in 06. I'll never forget seeing Roger Waters perform Dark Side of the Moon in its entirety while under the influence of mushrooms, or the insanely great Iron Maiden show in 2008.

I bleed Oiler blue

Dec 29, 2005
Lots of memories..........ones that stick out:

1) First game 1982, Andy Moog shuts out the Jets 3-0

2) Watching the Oilers win the Cup in 87

3) The 3-0 comeback game against Dallas, everyone left but my buddy and I stuck it out.

4) The retirement games, Gretz, Kurri, Fuhr

5) First concert I ever saw was Heart.....

6) Played in the building 4 or 5 times, great ice, hot in there

Probably a bunch more but really was a great place to grow up watching hockey

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't have many memories. I only ever watched three games there.
1. Sometime around 1994 to 1996, I saw the Edmonton Oilers and Chicago Blackhawks come to a 0-0 draw. My older brother had bought the tickets (he was in high school at the time - I don't hear many high school students buying tickets to hockey games anymore. :( ) and we sat in the nosebleeds.It was fun as far as I remember it.

2. Oil Kings game. Home opener, I think two or three years ago. They show-cased the WHL trophy thing. It was a company function.

3. Caught a pre-season game this year of the Oilers. I think it was against the Jets. The tickets were given to me by my boss who was coming down with a sickness. Couldn't find anyone in the short time I was given to find someone so I went alone. 'Twas fun.

I spent more time walking by the Coliseum as I walked my way to Axe Music from the LRT station. It's a bit tough hauling music equipment by the Coliseum to the LRT station but I managed, lol.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
This thread has happened before.

Anyway.

First time ever was the Oilers first game at the Coliseum 1974 against Cleveland.

FF to seeing Kiss with back up Cheap Trick. First concert I saw at the Coliseum.

Best concert at Coliseum was arguably Black Sabbath 1980 Mob Rules tour. Or just most electric. Sabbath were gods to me.

Yes 9012live. Got 2 shows for price of one as they filmed this one for world distribution. They were on top of their game.

Rush several times.

Iggy/Pretenders was pretty good.

Smashing Pumpkins at their height.

One I'll never forget is the legendary Golden Earring. Huge fan. On this continent you get about one chance in a lifetime to see them.

People have already heard all my hockey memories. Been to multiple SC wins. Was at the comeback in 97(I never left, lol I was in SRO, grabbed someones seats that did leave and when hey came back and asked for seats back I said Hey, you left. we stayed. go stand in SRO if you're going to leave a game like this. They actually did, they were embarrassed. I'm an ahole apparently. :laugh: But really leaving a hockey game early, especially a playoff game is certifiable in my books. if you do that you should come bag with a bag on your head.

Anyway..

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
I went to several as a young kid back in the day and I can barely remember watching Gretz play with the Oilers. I only remember more after the trade.

I believe I was at Gretz' 1st or 2nd game back as a King. It was awesome.

Also as a young kid my Dad would take a seat at the top of the aisle in the lower bowl and I would walk down to the glass and watch guys like Mess and Kurri and others during the pre game skate. We would then go down where bar is and watch the Oilers come out of the locker room. Jesus, Francois Leroux was a big dude LOL

The Leafs are my #1 team so my Dad and I went to several Leafs-Oilers games. My 1st as a Leafs fan was during the mid 90's and my Dad said Gilmour would light his Oilers up. Err Wrong!! Oilers won 6-0. Wasn't impressed. But I got my revenge back more than once. Its WW3 in my family when the Leafs-Oilers get together.

Dallas-Oilers Game 3 in '97 we were at my aunts watching till it was 3-0 we got home and my cousin called us and said the Oilers tied it. My Dad's response "What do you mean they tied it?" Turned on the tv just in time to watch Kelly get the winner. Game 7 against Dallas too I was doing homework on the computer listening to Phillips. My Dad and bro were in the other room. Absolute mayhem when Marchant got the winner. Never heard my Dad yell that loud ever.

Frank The Tank I was at that same game against Avs you posted. It was nuts.

Saw WWE cards a couple times, Tatanka ran by and slapped my hand.
1st concert was Bon Jovi. Saw The Hip 5-6 times there. RHCPX2 FFx3 Nickelback(before they went Top 40) and probably one of my fav concerts of all, Metallica in 2012.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
As a younger fan who was still quite young even for the 06 run, here are the moments that stick out to me.

Especially the energy in the pre-game

Most of these (except the last) I didn't get to see live, but they definitely stick out to me as Rexall moments, whether I saw them on TV or in person.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
The '84 cup win. After that it might be Anderson scoring in game 7 of the Philly series to put the game away. But in a way just getting to see Gretzky do so many incredible things.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
A man, so many memories. Ill list a couple.

Only went to 1 game as a child but I remember being there to watch Gretz, but thats not what I remember (to young) I remember my cousin spilling his snow cone on a leather jacket of a guy in front of us hahhaah we didnt tell him, we were scared the rest of the game.

15 years ago I went to a hockey game with a mutual friend that brought a couple friends as well. One of those friends he brought was a lady, that I have been together with everyday since and call wife.

06 run in the playoffs is just to hard to explain. Had to be there to understand, I was fortunate to go to 6 games that spring, just incredible experience.

Kerricthebig

Jovial Imbecile
Nov 9, 2011
1st game I ever went to was at the Coliseum, I was all of 10 or 11 years old, don't remember much. We had seats in the lower bowl right up against the back wall so we could come and go as we pleased.

In the playoffs in 97-98, Buchburger coming in with a huge two handed chop on Belfour when he went to spring the Stars PP on a fast break.

Also, taunting Belfour and Roy in those series in the late 90's.

I wasn't able to go to any of the games in the 05-06 playoffs, but I remember quite clearly in the first game back after San Jose fans booed the Canadian anthem, and we sang the American anthem with pride, and then after the anthems were done I went to go back to work and promptly tripped and broke my nose.

Oilception

Oct 11, 2012
St. Albert
My bets moments actually being at the rink (so not great moments i wasnt there for)

1. Ryan Smyth Fastest hat Trick in Oilers history and 500th career point.

2. Mark Messier Retirement night!

3. When I was a kid my dad would only take me to game if we were playing Dallas cause they were the biggest rivalry and if he was paying he wanted to see Dallas. So I always remember everyone doing the BELFOUR chant and thats a fond Memory

4. When I was a kid we used to get to play on Rexall Ice maybe once a year if we were lucky and it was always the coolest day

5. I saw my first ever concert (Green Day) when I was in jr High I think

6. Was at a game against San Jose in the play offs with my grandfather and we couldnt even talk it was to loud.

And then countless times me and my friends went and just had a blast watching hockey. Some people like vacations, some people like to buy fancy stuff, do crazy activities, all my extra money just went to being able to attend Oilers games with friends, saw more games this year than I ever have before and even with such a poor product always have a great time at Rexall.

Oilerfan4lyfe

Mar 22, 2014
My first game...1998 we lost 3-1 to the Islanders and Tony Hrkac scored with a wicked slapper from the slot.

My best memory will always be Hemsky scoring against Detroit in 2006 with a little over a minute left. People were going berserk. I was randomly hugging people I didn't even know when he scored. It was so loud that I couldn't even hear the goal horn or the goal song.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
My bets moments actually being at the rink (so not great moments i wasnt there for)

1. Ryan Smyth Fastest hat Trick in Oilers history and 500th career point.

2. Mark Messier Retirement night!

3. When I was a kid my dad would only take me to game if we were playing Dallas cause they were the biggest rivalry and if he was paying he wanted to see Dallas. So I always remember everyone doing the BELFOUR chant and thats a fond Memory

4. When I was a kid we used to get to play on Rexall Ice maybe once a year if we were lucky and it was always the coolest day

5. I saw my first ever concert (Green Day) when I was in jr High I think

6. Was at a game against San Jose in the play offs with my grandfather and we couldnt even talk it was to loud.

And then countless times me and my friends went and just had a blast watching hockey. Some people like vacations, some people like to buy fancy stuff, do crazy activities, all my extra money just went to being able to attend Oilers games with friends, saw more games this year than I ever have before and even with such a poor product always have a great time at Rexall.

Was that in the mid-'90s? I remember being upset because the lead singer stormed off the stage 2/3 way through their set because some idiots kept flicking pennies at him. It was worst concert I have ever been too; even worse than the Velvet Revolver show where we waited 3+ hours for Scott Weiland to sober up enough to become conscious, leave his hotel room, and perform.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
A man, so many memories. Ill list a couple.

Only went to 1 game as a child but I remember being there to watch Gretz, but thats not what I remember (to young) I remember my cousin spilling his snow cone on a leather jacket of a guy in front of us hahhaah we didnt tell him, we were scared the rest of the game.

15 years ago I went to a hockey game with a mutual friend that brought a couple friends as well. One of those friends he brought was a lady, that I have been together with everyday since and call wife.

06 run in the playoffs is just to hard to explain. Had to be there to understand, I was fortunate to go to 6 games that spring, just incredible experience.

That's the ultimate story. Buildings are more than just places, they have this impact on our lives.

Hey, I might've been that guy in the Leather Jacket.. :D

Oilception

Oct 11, 2012
St. Albert
Was that in the mid-'90s? I remember being upset because the lead singer stormed off the stage 2/3 way through their set because some idiots kept flicking pennies at him. It was worst concert I have ever been too; even worse than the Velvet Revolver show where we waited 3+ hours for Scott Weiland to sober up enough to become conscious, leave his hotel room, and perform.

No the first time I saw them was the American Idiot tour which I think was in 2005. Im only 22 wasnt even born till 93.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad