Your Best Coliseum Memories

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Be it Rexall, Northlands or Skyreach (was it something else as well, dont recall).

-I remember going with my dad when I was a kid and having to run to the lounge during intermissions so he could chug a beer. You couldnt drink in your seats back then. Not sure how I got into the lounge...?

-I didnt see a whole bunch of games, but was at game 7 in the 1984 BOA (my first game ever - Oilers won. Got to sing na na hey hey goodbye to the Flames), the Dallas 3-0 comback with 3 minutes left in the 3rd (the OT goal should not have counted due to the skate in the crease - ha) Gretzky's last game (when he was a Ranger) and one game (game 3) of the SC Final in 06.

-Saw Guns n Roses roses there in 1993.

Anyone got some good ones?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Hey Mods, can we make sure this doesn't end up as a den of negativity. Keep one thing positive.

For me:
-Seeing Taylor Hall's first Hattrick against Atlanta
-Seeing McDavid's first goal at home, against Detroit, what a goal.
-Watching the Golden Bears win the University Cup in OT (I want to say 2006-ish)
-Watching the OilKings beat the Whitehawks to in the WHL.
-Seeing Rush
-Taking my Son to his first 2 games, one against the Yotes (dog of a game) and a win against the Nucks.

Great building I have many great memories.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
First game I went to the Coliseum was with my uncle and he treated us to 2nd row seats right beside the Canucks' bench. All I remember was being wowed seeing Gretzky in person, watching a fight go down about 5-10 feet directly in front of us, and Garth Butcher looking over at me from time to time and scaring me spitless with his ugly mug.

McDynasty

Nov 11, 2013
I have so many memories from that building, first game I ever went to was in 1981 vs. the Kings. Over the years I've seen a lot of great games throughout the decades.

What stood out most though was a period of games between 1987 and 1990. I can divulge this bit of info cause the statute of limitations has expired.

In that time period I was a teenager, security was not that great in the building, My friend figured out a way to get into games for free. It was simple, show up to the coliseum 3 hours before the game and enter through the door where employees went through.

Back then you didn't need ID, you would walk up to a desk where an old security guard sat, on the table in front of him was 6-8 sheets of employees names that worked there, you would just write a check next to a name and walk through.

The first few times we got in but got busted by security cause we would be literally be walking around the building until game time, ample time for someone to say "hey who are you guys?" So we figured we needed a place to hide until game time. The Bathroom was not good enough to wait 3 hours.

What we did was found a mechanical room just behind the nosebleeders seats, right next to the concession stand they had up there. There was a locked door, but no roof to the room, so we boosted each other over the wall, and someone would go and open the door for the rest.

This was a perfect set-up for us and we milked it for almost 3 years, we would hide up in the room until game time, then find a empty seat. Over the years it became obvious that no one ever went in there because no one ever cleaned up our mess.
The cool thing about that room was that you could look into the guts of the place, you could see the main floor concessions 80ft below, and there was a ledge you could jump on and literally walk the whole inner circumference of the Coliseum. Not a cat walk, but a place really no human should go, and no one would ever see you.

Eventually we got too old to pass as teenage workers, and I think they finally wised up to the scam. But I will always treasure those games and memories.

Last edited:

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
1) First game I ever went to. My Grandpa took me to game 5 of the 1988 Campbell Conference Finals (series clincher) vs Detroit. I was 9 years old. The first Oilers goal the crowd erupted, scared the **** out of me and I spilt orange pop all over myself. Had never been around that kind of noise/fervour. Oil won 8-4, Gretzky had a 6 point night IIRC. Little did I know he'd only be an Oiler for 4 2/3 games beyond that.

2) The game against Atlanta with the line brawl. Nurminen and Conklin square off. Bishai somehow ends up in the Thrashers bench, yet continues fighting the Thrashers player still on the ice. Me and my brother had whiplash from looking left and right, back and forth, trying to see everything at once.

3) Don't immediately recall which series it was that Dallas swept us, but everyone got a white towel at the door. The Oilers had 2 brutal calls where a goal was called off, all within a few minutes of each other. One was goalie interference, the other was a glove save made behind the line. Everyone chanted bull **** and threw those towels on the ice. I look to my right, and a sixty year old granny is chanting "bull ****." I look to my left, and a young kid who couldn't have been older than 10 is chanting "bull ****," occasionally looking up at his dad in fear of disapproval. It was an eery, yet satisfying feeling seeing 17,001 unified in rage.

4) The Yak celly. There was just something about that game where you knew something was going to happen. After the Gagner disallowed goal, I hadn't seen the building that loud since the playoffs. I remember all the debris flying on the ice, particularly a 1L bottle of Coke that - upon impact against the ice - shot it's cap off and torpedoed across the ice. There also appeared to be a visible nacho cheese stain on one of the face off circles. When Yak tied it with a few seconds left and did the slide, the building somehow managed to get even louder. I remember after the game, racing home and re-watching the celly about 100 times.

Last edited:

McDeathbyCheerios*

The last playoff run we had is the reason i got into hockey... So that

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Oilers first playoff win beating the Canadiens in 1981.

Game 6 - 2006 Stanley Cup Finals. Loudest I've ever heard Rexall.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
I missed all the fun times at Rexall. My first game was in the 2007/2008 season. A 2-1 SO loss to Dallas.

I guess my best memory was beating the Hawks 9-2(4?) a few years ago. The next game VS the Hawks would have been even better to watch though, Gagne's 8 point night.

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
My favorite game was the Yak slide. The place was electric after the goal was called off, and when Yak put it in that place erupted. It was awesome. What made that night was going to Chop downtown with some friends and seeing Yak and Gagner there with some friends. We bought some shots for Yak and his table, and he declined them because he didn't drink, I remember he said "We do shots when we win the cup." That was so ****ing cool. I'm gonna miss him.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
my first game in 1993 during the original Dark Era...I was 9 years old and the Oilers won 4-3 in OT over the Hawks

game 4 of the 2003 playoffs against the Stars....first playoff game I ever went to...sooo freaking loud despite the loss

May 1st, 2006...I still can't believe they beat the Wings that year....what a comeback in the 3rd

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England
first NHL game, 18th March 08, Oilers beat Coyotes 8-4

been back a few times since, but having only seen low level hockey in small arenas before that it was an awesome experience to take in for the first time.

Glad I was able to get a couple of games in this year, a puck getting shot over the glass and landing beside me 2 days prior to my birthday was a pretty sweet present.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Re-post what I mentioned in the Main Board thread:

Best game I attended at the barn was the 2-0 win over the Avs in Game 6 of the 1st round in 1997.

[NHL]263144[/NHL]

"Hexing" Roy by chanting his name mockingly for 60 minutes left me hoarse after the game. The building was so loud in 1997 and 1998 for the upset series over the Stars and Avs, respectively. Wish I could have experienced a playoff game in 2006 to see the even crazier atmosphere, but alas I was no longer around Edmonton regularly at that point.

Watching the video reminds me that the "toe in the crease" rule was just as horrible as I remember it being.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Gretzky Cup in '88 or the Hemsky-Samsonov goal in 2006 or that big comeback vs. Dallas in game 3 1997.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
'85 Game 5 versus Philly. My brother trying to throw me over the glass onto the ice after the win. A cop blocking me and pushing me back into the seats.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I remember Doug Weight scoring a ridiculous goal against the flames. I forget what year. 96 or so. Only BOA game I've ever been to excluding pre season. I also remember Radek Dvorak scoring a ridiculous goal in the playoffs sometime in the early 2000's. That was the last playoff game I went to.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Being grounded at around 18 or 19 years old after a Van Halen concert because I reeked of weed the next day. Got the whole "don't you know impaired driving isn't just alcohol related?" from the mother.

She didn't buy the whole "it was people your age around me smoking all night".

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
First NHL game on December 15, 2005. The Oilers trailed the Habs 3-1, tied it on goals by Pisani and Torres, and then Moreau let loose with a slapper from the faceoff circle to score on Jose Theodore with just over a minute to go in the third. Pisani sealed the win with an empty netter - and I've been a hockey fan ever since.

November 20, 2007 - the Oilers went 3/7 on the powerplay and defeated Vancouver in a 5-4 shootout win.

January 20, 2009 - Hemsky scores two goals, including a zipper of a wrister with 34 seconds left, as the Oilers defeat Columbus 4-3.

January 2014 - Hemsky scores twice in his final game as an Oiler, a 3-2 win over Ottawa.

January 2016 - The Oilers beat the Hurricanes in overtime 1-0 on a goal by Andrei Sekera. It's the first and last Oilers shutout I ever see at Rexall.

the4thlinegrinder

Jul 25, 2011
The Bench
I'll repost this from the PGT:

A video I made for the last game at Rexall Place. Hope you guys enjoy.

My best memories are of the Stefan empty net game, the first game my dad took me to which was in 1999 vs Anaheim, and watching a BoA game from the press box in 2011.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
for none NHL events

Seeing ACDC there a couple of time

Seeing Jerry Lee Lewis have a meltdown when he found out he was not playing Northlands but the stage set up at he shed next door for k-Days(I was working security at Northlands at the time)

Standing six as a buddy of mine shagged a girl by the LRT station at 4am

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Like a lot of people first game attending with my Dad. Battle of Alberta when it was a real thing.

Remember walking up the sidewalk to the place and it seemed so big and my own palace. To the magic of the moment of stepping off the concourse through to the stairs and seeing the ice and sheer size of an NHL arena. Seemed like a dream that was coming true. To be a kid again, I will give my son the same experience at the new one.

sOILing McSelf

Aug 18, 2011
For me it was every game I attended in the 2006 playoff run. I was 19 at the time and my brother was 21. We weren't close (sibling rivalry extreme) but my dad had 2 seats to 1/2 of all home games because he split seasons tickets with a friend of his. My dad gave us all of his tickets because he had watched all 4 stanley cup home ice wins and according to him "had his memories, it was time for us to make some". Went to game 4 vs DET (loss), game 3 vs SJS (3OT win), game 6 vs SJS (2-0 win and series clincher), and game 3 vs CAR (win). With all of those games sitting beside your brother, being crazy and not caring what he might think, my brother and I bonded and are now very close. From then on we went to games together, including the world juniors CAN vs US new years eve in 2010(?).

That's what Rexall Place means to me. A place that can build relationships.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
As a young kid in the mid-80s, nuns behind me were screaming at the top of their lungs at Glen Anderson and Kurri. From then on, I thought all hockey games were full of nutty people. Maybe it's just Oilers fans :)

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00