Your alltime PP1-lineup?

100mph slapshot

Nov 19, 2005
Finland
Which 5 players would you choose to go out on the ice for a 5 on 4 or 5 on 3 powerplay? If possible, try to arrange the right/left-handed shooters so that they match.

Mine:
Mario Lemieux (R) - Wayne Gretzky - Jaromir Jagr (L)

Brett Hull (R) - Paul Coffey (L)

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Which 5 players would you choose to go out on the ice for a 5 on 4 or 5 on 3 powerplay? If possible, try to arrange the right/left-handed shooters so that they match.

Mine:

I would think Bobby Orr was a great pointman.

BigKahuna*

Mine:

Id easily take Lidstrom on the point over Coffey.

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
Mario is the unchallenged leader in PP stats, so he gets a spot.

Bobby Orr is second only to Mario so he gets the first point spot.

Needing someone for the front of the net, we'll go with the all-time garbage goal king in Phil Esposito.

While I'd like to find a spot for Potvin, I want a righty shot from the point, so I have to go with the big Al MacInnis slapper.

Since the Isles have the all-time best PP team during the late 70s - early 80s, I have to find a spot for one of them, so the last spot goes to Mike Bossy.

Esposito - Lemieux (R) - Bossy (R)

Orr - MacInnis (R)

For a pre-expansion lineup:

Hull - Beliveau - Howe (R)

Max Bentley - Shore (R)

BigKahuna*

That's your choice.

Coffey has about the same number of PP-points in his career than Lidström has EV+PP-points.
And no one carried the puck to the zone better than Coffey. (ok, maybe Orr did)

He's also played about 300 more career games then Lidstrom has.

100mph slapshot

Nov 19, 2005
Finland
He's also played about 300 more career games then Lidstrom has.

So what? The point is Coffeys offensive talent is in a different level compared to Lidström. I don't know why you had to bring Lidström into this discussion at all. Yes, Lidström is a fantastic player and one of the best all-around Dmen ever, but purely for this thread, there are number of players I'd choose before him: Coffey, Orr, Bourque, Leetch, Potvin, MacInnis, Housley, Murphy, etc.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Dino Ciccarelli-Adam Graves-Ray Sheppard-Al Iafrate-Al MacInnis

They would play the umbrella, and pass along the puck allot, kind of like Nylander and Jagr in NY. :sarcasm:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I'll do one without using any of the big three (Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr).

Mike Bossy (R) - Adam Oates - Pavel Bure (L)
Al MacInnis (R) - Ray Bourque (L)

I love Bure, but man could he screw up a PP. He just weren't good there. The PP goals he scored all came from great individual efforts.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
To me, a good powerplay has:
A low boards/half boards playmaker
An infront of net screen/deflection/rebound expert
A in the slot sniper
A cannon from the point
A pinching defenceman.

So that means:
Gretzky or Lemieux, Lemieux was better on the PP.
A littany of players, including Esposito, Drillon, Andreychuk, Neely, etc. I'm going to go with Dave Andreychuk because I would like to have a natural LW.
Plenty of choices, including Brett Hull, Mike Bossy, Maurice Richard, Charlie Conacher and many more. I'm gonna go with Conacher to have a bit of old school flavour.
No contest, Al Macinnis
No contest, Bobby Orr

So...

Andreychuk-Lemieux-Conacher
Orr-MacInnis

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
I'm pretty sure this guy named Al MacInnis would be on the point before a Lidstrom or Coffey. He is exactly what you need from one point, a hard shot. On the other point, you put a puck-moving defenseman, maybe a Lidstrom or Orr.

100mph slapshot

Nov 19, 2005
Finland
I'm pretty sure this guy named Al MacInnis would be on the point before a Lidstrom or Coffey. He is exactly what you need from one point, a hard shot. On the other point, you put a puck-moving defenseman, maybe a Lidstrom or Orr.

That's why I put Brett Hull in the lineup. During his prime he had a deadly slapshot and rarely missed the net. MacInnis is also a good choice. Coffey is the puckmoving pointman, much faster and better at the job than Lidström IMO.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
That's why I put Brett Hull in the lineup. During his prime he had a deadly slapshot and rarely missed the net. MacInnis is also a good choice. Coffey is the puckmoving pointman, much faster and better at the job than Lidström IMO.

Coffey was NOT good as a pointman. He could carry the puck up ice and put up points on the rush, but once the zone was gained and the PP was set up, he's not good at all. Lidstrom is a far better PP QB.

DayWalk3r

YouTube Guru
Sep 13, 2005
Northern Hemisphere
Forsberg Gretzky Neely
Bourque Orr

Dont think that line would work out very well. There is to many puckhandlers, playmakers on that line, add a player like Brett Hull instead of maybe Neely or Forsberg (I would personally hold on to Forsberg instead of Neely, but thats just my opinion) and take out Bourque and add MacInnis on the point instead and you have a solid PP-unit :)

Just my 2 cents.

100mph slapshot

Nov 19, 2005
Finland
Coffey was NOT good as a pointman. He could carry the puck up ice and put up points on the rush, but once the zone was gained and the PP was set up, he's not good at all. Lidstrom is a far better PP QB.

Can I atleast disagree? Please?

I've seen both play and Coffey was better IMO even during his stint in Detroit (past his prime).

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00