4. James McFadden
5. James McFadden
6. James McFadden
7. James McFadden
8. James McFadden
9. James McFadden
10. James McFadden
11. James McFadden

team looks a bit unbalanced and I don't think faddy is much of a keeper either :laugh:

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
Kahn
Maldini-Nesta-Gamara-R.Carlos
Redondo
Figo - Rui Costa - Ronaldinho
Romario - R9

Subs: Messi (LOL), Riquelme, Nedved, Cannavaro, Weah, Rivaldo, Kaka.

Last edited:

johnsherdy10

Jul 27, 2017
For me
-----------------------Van Der Sar-----------------------

Neville----------Vidic---------Ferdiand-----------R.Carlos

---------------Ronaldinho----Zidane--------Paul Scholes-------

---------------Neymar---Raul-------C.Ronaldo------------
Start-Where-You-Are-Quotes-1-545x545.jpg

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
Messi is so much better than Rui Acosta it's not even funny. Ronaldo has also surpassed Figo.

Rui Costa was a classic #10 play maker and quite possibly the most elegant player I've ever seen. Watching the guy play was like poetry in motion. Look at the team that I put up there, Messi is not a prototypical #10, he wouldn't fit on there.

CR7 is better than Figo at scoring goals and that's about it. Figo's footballing abilities are three galaxies removed from what CR7 could ever dream of accomplishing.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Messi literally fits on any team and could play a number of roles. He's the best player ever.

As for that Figo vs. Ronaldo statement...oy.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
Kahn
Cafu-Maldini-Sammer-R. Carlos
Zidane-Vieira-Xavi
Messi-Ronaldo (Brazilian)-Iniesta

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yes, Roberto Carlos was immensly overrated. Big shot and quick. Never a great defenseman.
Though I agree with the main point about Messi (imagine him in goals).

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
---------Dasaev--------
Thuram-Blanc-Desailly-Lizarazu
----------Fernandez--------------
--------Giresse-Tigana--------
----------Platini-------
-----Messi-Ronaldo (brasilian)

Dasaev is the most impressive goalie I've ever seen.
I chose units for defense and midfield. Possibly the best defense ever lined up in a WC, the Carré Magique which was both great AND fun.
And I chose Messi and Ronaldo (de Lima) over Ronaldo (whose character I hate), Van Basten (too injured), the Trezeguet/Henry combo (which Domenech broke up), the Cantona/Papin combo (highly underrated), etc...

Too many Frenchies. A team without Diego, Marco, Johan and Franz don't seem right. Renat usually is/ was under the radar, maybe because of the sick Van Basten goal.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
It says favorite and Beckenbauer was before my time.

I've seen him once live (and Sepp Maier, Gerd Müller) when I was a small kid at Olympia stadium in Munich. So (at least for me) it counts.:laugh:

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Out of curiosity, how far back do you go? Like in hockey if you were to make a team of stars, I'd hesitate to put anyone in who had their peak before the mid-90s outside of Lemieux, Messier, and Greztzky, possibly Bourque. I wouldn't even have Orr in there despite him being one of the all-time greats.

I'm guessing you could go back a bit further here or no? I don't think the Prem got flooded with international players all that much till at least the mid-90s either right?

According to the op, you include anyone you've watched in your time.

In terms of going back through different eras, the thing to recall where football is concerned is the checks and balances from different eras. Rules regarding tackling, offside and backpasses have all been altered since 1992 to benefit attackers with the express intention of more goals being scored. The quality of pitches have improved too, and footballs have been designed with the goal of moving through the air more.

All these considerations need to be played off against developments in coaching, preparation, speed, strength etc.

As for the English top flight, foreign players really began arriving in larger numbers in the late 90s. If memory serves, freedom of movement to work anywhere in the EU was enshrined in 1992, but the floodgates really opened up in 1996. That summer European Championships had showcased the transformation of English football's infrastructure and culture, and at the same time the Bosman ruling had ushered in what was tantamount to genuine free agency, making it easier for English clubs to acquire foreign talent for cheaper than home grown players.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Rui Costa was a classic #10 play maker and quite possibly the most elegant player I've ever seen. Watching the guy play was like poetry in motion.

He played football beautifully, and his partnership with Batigol was glorious.

From 1994-2000 Fiorentina scarcely gave you a dull moment.

Theon

No longer Reek
Jan 17, 2008
Stockholm
van der Sar
Lahm - Rio - Vidic - Roberto Carlos
Beckham - Iniesta - Modric - Ronaldo
Rooney - van Nistelrooy

allyb

Feb 19, 2004
wishaw, scotland
Players that I have seen play live

Pat Jennings

Danny McGrain Alan Hansen Bobby Moore Stevie Nichol

Jimmy Johnston Graeme Sounness Liam Brady Bud Jonstone

Kenny Dalgleish KH Rumminnegge

Subs Goram, Butcher, Laudrup, Durrant, Larrson and D.Farirclough(the greatest supersub ever)

Last edited:

xavi4life

Mr. Irreverent
Jun 30, 2007
Los Angeles
Here we go:

F8XDuYr.png

Bench:
GK - Yashin
RB - Dani Alves
CB - Maldini
LB - Marcelo