Your 3 fave upcoming series

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Assuming NYR/Carolina series is in your top 4, let's discuss the 3 series that seem very interesting to you and will bring you to watching those games as well.
Some may watch EVERY series if possible.....but, break it down to 3. Please state your reasons as to why, and let's go from there.
If you prefer 4 others over the Rangers/Hurricanes that is fine, but doubt it.

For Me......
1. Islanders/Panthers. Living in Florida, I guess I am a closet Panther fan and go to every matchup with us. Would LOVE for them to destroy the Isles, then again Rangers/Islanders somewhere down the road would be quite the buzz.
2. Nashville/Arizona Kind of like the Coyotes from afar, good up and coming team and like their management finally getting it together. Dont care for Nashville much, especially Rinne. They are blowing their window.
3. Calgary/Winnipeg This series should be a rock em', sock em' drag out fight coupled with being exciting, high scoring affairs. Expecting at least 9 goals every game, regardless of who is in goal.
4. NYR/Hurricanes For obvious reasons, just wanna say, that I believe our team has quite the surprise for us and IN them. Yes, Carolina is good, but young as well and they can be had. IGOR, might be our ACE in the hole to carry us past them.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
WPG/CGY
VAN/MIN - Just because I really liked the 2004 series in the Gaborik/Wes Walz days back when I was in high school and hated when my Canuck fan friends experienced happiness.
NYR/CAR - Not because I think it will be a good series, but just because it's such an honor to be even considered against the 81-point Carolina Hurricanes.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Assuming NYR/Carolina series is in your top 4, let's discuss the 3 series that seem very interesting to you and will bring you to watching those games as well.
Some may watch EVERY series if possible.....but, break it down to 3. Please state your reasons as to why, and let's go from there.
If you prefer 4 others over the Rangers/Hurricanes that is fine, but doubt it.

For Me......
1. Islanders/Panthers. Living in Florida, I guess I am a closet Panther fan and go to every matchup with us. Would LOVE for them to destroy the Isles, then again Rangers/Islanders somewhere down the road would be quite the buzz.
2. Nashville/Arizona Kind of like the Coyotes from afar, good up and coming team and like their management finally getting it together. Dont care for Nashville much, especially Rinne. They are blowing their window.
3. Calgary/Winnipeg This series should be a rock em', sock em' drag out fight coupled with being exciting, high scoring affairs. Expecting at least 9 goals every game, regardless of who is in goal.
4. NYR/Hurricanes For obvious reasons, just wanna say, that I believe our team has quite the surprise for us and IN them. Yes, Carolina is good, but young as well and they can be had. IGOR, might be our ACE in the hole to carry us past them.

Good choices but I think you have been watching Arizona from really really far away lol From the games I watched especially in the latter part of the season they were very very disappointing and I don't really see much upside for their future. Hopefully with the break they get their shit together hopefully a Healthy Kuemper. I know their goaltenders have been injured but they really need to play better then they have. With a 100 percent Kuemper they have a chance to beat Nashville especially since Rinne is beatable.

Winnipeg could be a real darkhorse. They definitely have the size and ability up front to do some damage. The Calgary goaltending leaves a lot to be desired. The other series out West that could be fun will be the star power in the oilers/Hawks series. One would think it would be up and down high scoring.

Maybe I'm biased but I'm interested in all of the East series. The Jackets being healthy make their series with the Leafs very intriguing. Especially so much riding on the line for us if Toronto loses.
I know the Canadiens are really a long shot but a Crosby/Price series could be fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
WPG/CGY
VAN/MIN - Just because I really liked the 2004 series in the Gaborik/Wes Walz days back when I was in high school and hated when my Canuck fan friends experienced happiness.
NYR/CAR - Not because I think it will be a good series, but just because it's such an honor to be even considered against the 81-point Carolina Hurricanes.

Good one. :thumbu:

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Chicago and Edmonton should be the most entertaining, in my opinion. Chicago isn’t great so Edmonton’s offense could run wild, but the Blackhawks still have some guys who could light it up and a ton of playoff experience. Can’t ever write Patty Kane off in the playoffs.

Calgary and Winnipeg. Winnipeg is a good hockey team overall, IMO and Calgary has some interesting pieces but never seems to put it together. Not a Johnny Hockey fan at all but I do love me some Matt Tkachuk.

Otherwise I guess it’s Toronto and Columbus. Columbus seems to just find ways, even after losing so much talent this off season. Toronto... can they ever live up to their own hype?

Ratelleitlikeitis

Apr 7, 2011
Guelph
I just have a feeling Toronto is going to surprise. Their defence is healthy and certainly not the patchwork affair it was for most of the season. They obviously have scoring. If Anderssen is hot from the get go, they may make a run when least expected. I hope I'm wrong.

Reactions: CasusBelli

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Interested to see if Columbus can humble another team that thinks too highly of themselves. Toronto is not as good (nor as insufferably smug) as Tampa but the reaction will be so sooo sweet if they lost to the Jackets in the play in round. Heads will roll.

Also , Nashville vs Arizona because that seems like the worst matchup on paper so maybe it will be good?

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Winnipeg-Calgary: Has the makings of a fantastic series. If somebody who never watched hockey in their life was going to watch one series from this round, I would tell them that it HAS to be this one. There may end up being better series', but on paper this one is a powder keg.

Edmonton-Chicago: A battle of generations. Edmonton looked so much better this year, but the playoffs are a different beast; and Chicago is full of guys that have fought those wars time and time again.

Columbus-Toronto: f*** Toronto.

Reactions: LokiDog

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
1. NYR/CAR - favorite team duh
2. CHI/EDM - McDavid, Kane, fast paced hockey. Interesting matchup between very experienced & inexperienced teams
3. TOR/CBJ - I hate the Leafs, Jackets were my favorite team until Nash became a Ranger, and the Leafs losing helps our draft pick
4. VAN/MIN - My hometown team, still go to around 8 games per season even though I don’t like them lol
5. PIT/MTL - I enjoy watching MTL play and think it’ll be a fun matchup
6. CGY/WPG - CGY is a blast to watch, WPG is a bore
7. ARI/NSH - Meh
8. NYI/FLA - 2 boring teams

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
MIN-VAN sounds like Ambien to me. Ditto ARI-NSH.

CGY-WPG could be interesting because Calgary is such a Jekyll/Hyde team, and Winnipeg doesn’t know how to play defense.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I’m still waiting for Toronto to actually do something. They have to make a run with that amount of star power eventually, right? Right...?

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I’ll be watching Chicago/Edmonton to see the experienced Blackhawks core versus the inexperienced star power of McDavid/Draisaitl.

I think Calgary/Winnipeg has all the ingredients for a great, explosive series with some hostility.

Toronto... they’re an exciting and talented young team but I also take pleasure in watching them fall flat. So it’s either watching them live up to their high potential, or watching them flop. Both are entertaining.

Florida/Islanders sounds like watching paint dry.
Nashville/Arizona sounds a bit better.
Minnesota/Vancouver is right in that same mix.
Montreal/Pittsburgh could be interesting. If Pens are healthy they added Zucker and some good pieces and could be a sleeper. Montreal can be entertaining or awful.

Our series should honestly be a fairly good one. Top 3 entertainment value for the play in rounds.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
The only series I give two shits about is NYR/HurriKarens and TOR/CBJ. Those are the only two series that really matter to us in the 1st round.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
C'mon, give me 2 more.......with insight maybe?

Superstar power in the first pair. Two of the better overall roster quality, evenly matched plus intra-Canadian rivalry in the other.

I will give you also Toronto vs CBJ. Opportunity to see an underdog beat a favorite.

McDonagh

Slow it down 30GHz
Mar 8, 2009
rangers canes they voted no

edmonton chicago should be good no goalies

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
WPG/CGY

lololololol

legends in their own minds

Reactions: Thirty One

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
hard to pick 3

i like the idea Carey Price vs Pens, he gets hot, sends them home, they regret taking the long view and being passed by Flyers
I like Torts' guys against the hyper-pressured Leafs
and Calgary-'peg could be close and intense, but Jets goaltender might make it 1-sided

but also McDavid/Draisaitl vs Toews/Kane/Keith could be fun to watch
and Vanc, trying to prove they are trending up, vs Wild, trying to prove they're not trending down, could surprise

and of course rooting for Quenneville/Bob/Barkov/Ekblad to send Isles home ahead of NYR

'yotes, Preds, meh, rather see a pack of real Coyotes in cage with a real Sabre-tooth tiger 8^)

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
If I was a neutral fan the only two series that would really grab my interest are NYR/CAR and CGY/WPG. The former because I think the two teams are among the best in the East as well as teams who play exciting hockey, the latter because the teams do have good top-end talent and it is somewhat of a rivalry so the series could become very chippy.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Toronto and Columbus is going to be pretty interesting. Toronto can outscore anyone, but they can't play any defense. Torts has put in a system for Columbus that has them all buying in and playing hard. Columbus went on a run last year and I'm wondering in a short series if the foundation of the system will outweigh the talent. Columbus is either getting run out of the building or they are going to go on a run themselves.

Winnipeg and Calgary should be fun as well. Top end talent on both teams, one has a good defense and meh goaltending, the other has great goaltending and a meh defense. Depth up front is pretty close and Hellebuyck probably balances out the defensive differences.

Going to go out on a limb and go the Canucks and Wild series is going to surprise a lot of people. Wild have horrific goaltending with their veteran team and the Canucks are a very young explosive team. Little playoff experience at the top of the lineup, even with Miller and Toffoli on the roster. The Canucks bleed shots, but have tons of talent. Could be a high scoring series and will be closer than I think most will lead on, but the Wild's goaltending is going to ruin their chances of winning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad