Your 2019-20 Expectations

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Expect a 6-10 (bottom obv) finish and hopefully a Top-3 pick and more selling off of guys like Kreider, Strome, Names etc.

But, I also expect to see some positive signs from the kids and that includes ADA & Buch

(Love to see Zbad get even better!)
Probably the most realistic prediction yet. Would I love to see us back in the playoffs? Without question. That’s the next goal. But our maturity / development and skill just aren’t up to par.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
I expect this team to be a streaky one.

There will be times where it looks like we can score at will, and there will be times where we are all frustrated.

I think this team as a whole will be too mentally immature to really manage the emotional highs and lows of a full season.

I think we will ultimately fall short of the playoffs, but I wouldn't be totally shocked if we somehow snuck in.

I would be surprised if we are as bad as we were last year, and I would be equally surprised if we end up comfortably in the playoffs.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
expect us to compete for a playoff spot if healthy. a fun team to watch.

expect us to be better defensively for sure.

special teams substantially better. PP top 7 in the league. PK top 15

5v5 well be stingier

the goaltending tandem will be a strength of this team.

right to the wire for a playoff berth

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
They will be bad again. Much more fun to watch than last year, but still bad.

People predicting playoffs are out to lunch IMO. The center depth is gross and the defense is being led by a #3 and a #4. Short of a mircale led by Panarin, Zib, and Hank/Georgie they'll be bottom ten again.

Reactions: I Eat Crow and jas

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I'm expecting a rough first half of the season where the team is bottom-5 in the standings but players work hard. Goalie controversy and whinging about Quinn over-playing vets and not gifting kids top-six and top-4 minutes. Strome crippling the assured-dominance of Kreider and Kakko on a line. Staal dragging down everyone on the blue line. McKegg, Fast, and Names all getting far too much time out of the press box. Quinn's clear North American bias as he puts Howden, Nieves, and Lindgren in the lineup over Hajek, Rykov, and Kravtsov. Frantic waiving of spreadsheets and bitching about 'toffnuss' and intangibles. Calls for Quinn to be fired before the new year.

Then sometime around January some players start to find their game. The team starts to creep out of the bottom-5 and fans panic about the team's lack of a plan and assume they'll be buyers at the deadline. Rumors start flying about DeAngelo holding the team hostage after building on a great season and whether or not they should trade him at the deadline. A random post by a "long-time-lurker" asking if we should trade Panarin for some lottery team's unprotected first so we have a better shot of getting Byfield, the center we desperately need. Dagoon shows up to complain that we don't respect him and to remind us that Hank is in fact, deep down, a huge ****. Some new fancy metric is released showing that Corsi isn't granular enough and that "times a player thought about attempting a shot" -- or "TAP-ThAAS" -- is indeed a higher-frequency event and thus the new standard. However, the only way to view the accurate stats model is through an Oculus VR headset while chanting "Dan Girarid was never a top pairing defensemen." Chaos ensues. Ultimately all coinciding with the team trading Kreider, Fast, and Names just before the final moments for way less than people think the market should've dictated -- largely due to the fact that someone reminded us that Paul Gaustad once returned a 1st at the deadline, ergo Kreider should've returned at least 4. In the distance, calls for signing Nakladal.

Kravtsov and Chytil are recalled from The Pack to replace Kreider and the others. They struggle. The team lands in the 9th spot again. The rebuild is deemed a failure. ODC blames McIralth. Edge finally starts swearing at people regularly in his posts. MSG is in flames. Lias Andersson is named interim-GM for some reason after Gorton flees the country.

Last edited by a moderator:

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I think they'll be a lot more entertaining to watch and possibly have a top 5 PP in the league if everything clicks, but I don't think they'll make the playoffs.

And while I think that the goaltending will be very good, outstanding at times, the team GAA will still not be good enough to win close games and they'll lose a lot of points because of it. George and Hank will only be able to do so much. They'll look a lot better than their numbers will suggest. If they aren't good - then this team will be putrid, bottom barrel.

So a lot rides on the D. Which will be the weakest part of the team. I am not sold on the Trouba/Skjei pairing being sold as a "true top D pairing". Staal should've been the one bought out and he's gonna be worse than last season which is saying something. I expect a good season from ADA but he needs to be a lot better in his own zone to round his game out. I really like Hajek and Fox (I think Hajek should start in the NHL) but they will have just as many boo-boo's in their own zone as they will good moments on the other side of the puck. Which is to be expected, really.

Overall their lack of center depth and defensive prowess is going to bite them, but there could be some good that comes from it. If Quinn can drill into the forward's brains a defense-first system with a strong forecheck and puck protection, it will set up good habits for future seasons. If it progresses quicker than expected, this team could challenge for a playoff spot this season but it is asking a lot from a lot of young developing skaters - so I don't see that happening.

From a future standpoint, the best thing that could come from this season is to continue to build a hard-working-take-no-nights-off culture and have a few players (Kreider, Fast, Namestnikov, Strome) remain healthy and have solid years to be traded off for additional picks and prospects at the deadline. Personally I would love to extend Kreider but I dont know how they are able to do that. Then hit the road running in 2020 & 21.

LGR

Reactions: InfernoDaLuz

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
I'm expecting a rough first half of the season where the team is bottom-5 in the standings but players work hard. Goalie controversy and whinging about Quinn over-playing vets and not gifting kids top-six and top-4 minutes. Strome crippling the assured-dominance of Kreider and Kakko on a line. Staal dragging down everyone on the blue line. McKegg, Fast, and Names all getting far too much time out of the press box. Quinn's clear North American bias as he puts Howden, Nieves, and Lindgren in the lineup over Hajek, Rykov, and Kravtsov. Frantic waiving of spreadsheets and *****ing about 'toffnuss' and intangibles. Calls for Quinn to be fired before the new year.

Then sometime around January some players start to find their game. The team starts to creep out of the bottom-5 and fans panic about the team's lack of a plan and assume they'll be buyers at the deadline. Rumors start flying about DeAngelo holding the team hostage after building on a great season and whether or not they should trade him at the deadline. A random post by a "long-time-lurker" asking if we should trade Panarin for some lottery team's unprotected first so we have a better shot of getting Byfield, the center we desperately need. Dagoon shows up to complain that we don't respect him and to remind us that Hank is in fact, deep down, a huge dick. Some new fancy metric is released showing that Corsi isn't granular enough and that "times a player thought about attempting a shot" -- or "TAP-ThAAS" -- is indeed a higher-frequency event and thus the new standard. However, the only way to view the accurate stats model is through an Oculus VR headset while chanting "Dan Girarid was never a top pairing defensemen." Chaos ensues. Ultimately all coinciding with the team trading Kreider, Fast, and Names just before the final moments for way less than people think the market should've dictated -- largely due to the fact that someone reminded us that Paul Gaustad once returned a 1st at the deadline, ergo Kreider should've returned at least 4. In the distance, calls for signing Nakladal.

Kravtsov and Chytil are recalled from The Pack to replace Kreider and the others. They struggle. The team lands in the 9th spot again. The rebuild is deemed a failure. ODC blames McIralth. Edge finally starts swearing at people regularly in his posts. MSG is in flames. Lias Andersson is named interim-GM for some reason after Gorton flees the country.

comic gold

see now thats something i can grab hold of.

the edge swearing stuff though... thats just weird @Trxjw :laugh:

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Quinton Byfield. We're winning the lottery again, damn it. :)

It happened last season, exactly like this. Season hasn't started, in my gut there is this clear cut BPA (size, skills, smarts, determination). "Pls, somehow let us win the lottery so we can pick Kakko". And it happened. This year Byfield is my Kakko. Make it happen.

But I don't see it really, unless we pull a Chicago and win a lottery ticket sitting at 12.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers were on pace for 83 points last season. The Rangers traded Kevin Hayes and Mats Zuccarello. The Rangers went 5-10-5 after the deadline. It was something like that. The Rangers ended up with 78 points. Subtract those two players and add Artemi Panarin upfront and Jacob Trouba on D. It’s a wash.

The Rangers 2nd line center is Ryan Strome. Chris Kreider’s production is going to suffer. He had 28 goals playing mostly with Mika Zibanejad and some with Hayes. Hopefully it doesn’t hurt his trade value.

The Rangers are young at center and on D. They are only the two most important positions on the team. It’s disappointing Filip Chytil had a bad camp. Brett Howden was not much better. Lias Andersson had a very good camp. Libor Hájek has 5 career NHL games on his resume. Adam Fox has no pro experience at all on any level.

It’s going to be a long season. The Rangers finish up between #6-#10 in the lottery. The best thing for the organization. The Rangers sell off at the trading deadline. See ya Chris.

Reactions: I Eat Crow

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I'm expecting a rough first half of the season where the team is bottom-5 in the standings but players work hard. Goalie controversy and whinging about Quinn over-playing vets and not gifting kids top-six and top-4 minutes. Strome crippling the assured-dominance of Kreider and Kakko on a line. Staal dragging down everyone on the blue line. McKegg, Fast, and Names all getting far too much time out of the press box. Quinn's clear North American bias as he puts Howden, Nieves, and Lindgren in the lineup over Hajek, Rykov, and Kravtsov. Frantic waiving of spreadsheets and *****ing about 'toffnuss' and intangibles. Calls for Quinn to be fired before the new year.

Then sometime around January some players start to find their game. The team starts to creep out of the bottom-5 and fans panic about the team's lack of a plan and assume they'll be buyers at the deadline. Rumors start flying about DeAngelo holding the team hostage after building on a great season and whether or not they should trade him at the deadline. A random post by a "long-time-lurker" asking if we should trade Panarin for some lottery team's unprotected first so we have a better shot of getting Byfield, the center we desperately need. Dagoon shows up to complain that we don't respect him and to remind us that Hank is in fact, deep down, a huge dick. Some new fancy metric is released showing that Corsi isn't granular enough and that "times a player thought about attempting a shot" -- or "TAP-ThAAS" -- is indeed a higher-frequency event and thus the new standard. However, the only way to view the accurate stats model is through an Oculus VR headset while chanting "Dan Girarid was never a top pairing defensemen." Chaos ensues. Ultimately all coinciding with the team trading Kreider, Fast, and Names just before the final moments for way less than people think the market should've dictated -- largely due to the fact that someone reminded us that Paul Gaustad once returned a 1st at the deadline, ergo Kreider should've returned at least 4. In the distance, calls for signing Nakladal.

Epic post.

Where is silverfish anyway?

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
too much negativity here.

you take pionk out and add trouba and fox. you have a full season of ADA and probably hajek.

the D has to be better. the PK and PP both better as well.

you add panarin and kakko and keep CK. that's a huge improvement over the plugs we had last year inc. kevin hayes.

Reactions: leetch99

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
The Rangers were on pace for 83 points last season. The Rangers traded Kevin Hayes and Mats Zuccarello. The Rangers went 5-10-5 after the deadline. It was something like that. The Rangers ended up with 78 points. Subtract those two players and add Artemi Panarin upfront and Jacob Trouba on D. It’s a wash.
On one hand it's a wash, but on the other hand it absolutely is not a wash.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
6e0d23bd6c7449eb6d3947905824f06d.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes