Speculation: Your 2016/17 tank lineup. What place do we finish?

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
Let's say leafs go full tank again next year. This is the team we currently have on contract.

Jvr kadri komarov
Greening nylander soshnikov
Michalek bozack hyman
Leivo laich brown

Reilly marincin
Gardiner carrick
Hunwick corrado

Bernier Sparks

That's pretty much the most I can strip our lineup down right now. No top draft pick, no marner, no stamkos, no Zaitsev, no vesey, no resigning pap/boyes/grabner. No magically making nhl contracts appear or disappear.

What place do we finish? Also to continue discussion. What changes would you make? stamkos? Marner? Zaitsev? Whose spot do they take, and where does the replaced player go? Remember who's waiver eligible when discussing.

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Last.

Unless I'm missing something, this thread seems kind of pointless.

Leafin

Apr 2, 2009
If thats the lineup next season i'll puke.

That is bottom 3 without question. I just don't see us being that bad on paper next season.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Can we not wait until at least mid-July or so before making lineup predictions and what not?

So much can happen... Seems rather pointless.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
Can we not wait until at least mid-July or so before making lineup predictions and what not?

So much can happen... Seems rather pointless.
It's not really a lineup prediction. It's our lineup. With no new signings.

Mad Brills*

Even if they are bad next season, they aren't tanking. They'll be like the sabres of this season.

If I had money, I'd bet a lot that the roster from the end of the season + JVR isn't the one that's coming back.

And kadri is coming back unless he's traded. They aren't walking away from him.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
Even if they are bad next season, they aren't tanking. They'll be like the sabres of this season.

If I had money, I'd bet a lot that the roster from the end of the season + JVR isn't the one that's coming back.

And kadri is coming back unless he's traded. They aren't walking away from him.
Basically I want to find where this teams floor is with this thread. I didn't want to speculate on kadri, but worst case scenario for our 2016/17 team, he's traded for draft picks so I left him out. We don't know what's going to happen with him. However, the rest of these players are still under contract, so without making trade speculations, or buyout speculations, or signing speculations, or drafting speculations. This is what we got worst case scenario.

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Does that mean we're allowed to be happy about wins around here or do we still have act all angry if they beat someone? :)

You were always allowed to cheer for wins, that just meant you weren't a true fan!

Mad Brills*

Does that mean we're allowed to be happy about wins around here or do we still have act all angry if they beat someone? :)

No, you can cheer for losses, but realize that the goal isn't to tank, like it was this year.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
Last.

Unless I'm missing something, this thread seems kind of pointless.

A team very similar to this just needed to be split up to ensure last place. Why do you assume with another years growth, this one finishes last?

This lineup establishes our teams ground zero. These contracts all need to be accounted for. Leafs may want to move some of them. They may want to pick up a few free agents. They also may not always get what they want (eg. Paranteau at deadline)

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Of course that line ups last..
But why exclude near sure things in Kadri, Marner, Zaitsev and Matthews/Laine/Puli/Dubois?(each of which will likely play in the NHL)

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
Of course that line ups last..
But why exclude near sure things in Kadri, Marner, Zaitsev and Matthews/Laine/Puli/Dubois?(each of which will likely play in the NHL)
kadri could be gone if he asks for too much money or we draft Matthews. If he is gone, he could be replaced with a positional need, a prospect, or draft picks. Some of those options might not help our team next year.

Is marner more nhl ready then hyman/soshnikov/brown? Maybe, but then u have to move those contracts. Is that the right decision?

We don't know if Zaitsev signing is a sure thing until it happens. Simple as that. And we don't know how he stacks up against our current nhl dmen on North american ice in the nhl.

While most likely, Matthews plays in the nhl, maybe the others too.. We only have a 20% chance at matthews. It is also a viable option for management to put those players in the ahl to get accustomed to North American ice, while seeing what some of our prospects who we could risk losing to waivers have to offer.

To summarize. Those are less likely to be sure things then contracts already in place.

horner

May 22, 2007
Let's say leafs go full tank again next year. This is the team we currently have on contract.

Jvr bozack komarov
Greening nylander soshnikov
Michalek holland hyman
Leivo laich brown

Reilly marincin
Gardiner carrick
Hunwick corrado

Bernier Sparks

That's pretty much the most I can strip our lineup down right now. No top draft pick, no marner, no stamkos, no Zaitsev, no vesey, no resigning kadri/pap/boyes/grabner. No magically making nhl contracts appear or disappear.

What place do we finish?

Not with Babs in charge and the talent coming up.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
kadri could be gone if he asks for too much money or we draft Matthews. If he is gone, he could be replaced with a positional need, a prospect, or draft picks. Some of those options might not help our team next year.

Is marner more nhl ready then hyman/soshnikov/brown? Maybe, but then u have to move those contracts. Is that the right decision?

We don't know if Zaitsev signing is a sure thing until it happens. Simple as that. And we don't know how he stacks up against our current nhl dmen on North american ice in the nhl.

While most likely, Matthews plays in the nhl, maybe the others too.. We only have a 20% chance at matthews. It is also a viable option for management to put those players in the ahl to get accustomed to North American ice, while seeing what some of our prospects who we could risk losing to waivers have to offer.

To summarize. Those are less likely to be sure things then contracts already in place.

Sounds more like your just having a rough day...
1. Kadri is at least 90% sure to sign and be back next season.
2. Zaitsev is at least 90% to sign and slot in as a 3-6 dman.
3. Marner scored over 2 PPG in the OHL season and almost 2.5 PPG in the playoffs so far. Sending him back is downright lunacy. And its completely realistic for a 18 year old to put on 10-15 lbs over 4 months before camp.
4. Matthews, Laine and Puli are all NHL size and skill and will all be in the show. Chances are we get one of them. Even so, I would bet that whoever is drafted 4th(Dubois, Chychrun) is also ready for the NHL.

I fully expect each of those players on the leafs next season, and with a vet signing or 2, this team is out of the basement.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
Sounds more like your just having a rough day...
1. Kadri is at least 90% sure to sign and be back next season.
2. Zaitsev is at least 90% to sign and slot in as a 3-6 dman.
3. Marner scored over 2 PPG in the OHL season and almost 2.5 PPG in the playoffs so far. Sending him back is downright lunacy. And its completely realistic for a 18 year old to put on 10-15 lbs over 4 months before camp.
4. Matthews, Laine and Puli are all NHL size and skill and will all be in the show. Chances are we get one of them. Even so, I would bet that whoever is drafted 4th(Dubois, Chychrun) is also ready for the NHL.

I fully expect each of those players on the leafs next season, and with a vet signing or 2, this team is out of the basement.
1. You want to sign kadri as a future 3c to 6 mill with term? That is what he'll eventually be if we draft Matthews. Which is A 20% chance. I think ur 90% stat was pulled from your ass.

2. Your Zaitsev stat stinks of ass too.

3. So trade hyman/Sosh/brown? Put em on waivers? What if nobody gives us fair value? They all looked better then marner did at camp that's for sure. Or are we putting marner on a pedestal?

4. Laine and pul have never played North American hockey. Should we put leipsic on waivers then if we can't trade him?

I'm not saying those guys won't be on the team. But saying there's a 90% chance they're all there without accounting for the contracts there replacing is just being ignorant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad