Youngest Player to score a goal in a Stanley Cup Final?

TooMuchMan

Sep 29, 2010
Deep Space Nine
While doing reaserch for a Van-Bos series breakdown, I read somewhere that Jaromir Jagr was the youngest player ever to score a goal in a SC Final, at 19 (in 1991). However, research on the topic showed me this is not in fact the case, as Jagr did not score a goal during the 1991 SCF vs. the North Stars. He scored his first Stanley Cup Final goal in 1992 during the Penguins' first game of their sweep of the Blackhawks on May 26th. Jagr was 20 years and what I've calculated to be 101 days old at the time. I believe he is the youngest in the past 20 years, but I don't have the resources (or skills) to determine if he's the youngest ever.

I'm particularly interested at this time because B's rookie Tyler Seguin will be capable of being even younger at the time of his first SCF goal at 19 years and 119 days old at game one.

So, out there in HF Board-land, does anyone know who actually owns the record for the youngest player to ever to score a goal in the Stanley Cup Finals?

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Ted Kennedy

While doing reaserch for a Van-Bos series breakdown, I read somewhere that Jaromir Jagr was the youngest player ever to score a goal in a SC Final, at 19 (in 1991). However, research on the topic showed me this is not in fact the case, as Jagr did not score a goal during the 1991 SCF vs. the North Stars. He scored his first Stanley Cup Final goal in 1992 during the Penguins' first game of their sweep of the Blackhawks on May 26th. Jagr was 20 years and what I've calculated to be 101 days old at the time. I believe he is the youngest in the past 20 years, but I don't have the resources (or skills) to determine if he's the youngest ever.

I'm particularly interested at this time because B's rookie Tyler Seguin will be capable of being even younger at the time of his first SCF goal at 19 years and 119 days old at game one.

So, out there in HF Board-land, does anyone know who actually owns the record for the youngest player to ever to score a goal in the Stanley Cup Finals?

Ted Kennedy - TML scored 7 goals in 13 playoff games in 1945 while he was only 19. Chances are at least one was in the finals.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Pat Lafontaine in 1984 would have to be right up there, and was a month younger than Seguin will be this year.

Iain Fyffe

Hockey fact-checker
A quick perusal of some early Stanley Cup series goal-scorers provides the following:

Billy Gilmour: age 17 in 1903
Russell Bowie: age 18 in 1899
Shirley Davison: age 19 in 1896
Tommy Phillips: age 19 in 1903

There are surely a few more, but I think Gilmour has a pretty solid chance of holding the record. Certainly no modern NHLers are going to score a Stanley Cup goal before their 18th birthday.

TooMuchMan

Sep 29, 2010
Deep Space Nine
Thanks for all of your quick and helpful responses, it seems that should Seguin score, he will become the youngest since Pat LaFontaine in 1984, and one of the youngest ever.

Cheers!

Unaffiliated

Aug 26, 2010
Richmond, B.C.
In case this somehow becomes relevant these playoffs, I vividly remember Alex Tanguay scoring 2 goals (including GWG) in Game 7 of the 2001 SCF (COL def. NJD). [age 21]

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Since the formation of the NHL the youngest would be John Harms with Chicago in 1944; he was a couple of weeks shy of his 19th birthday. LaFontaine is second.

Once in awhile at trivia contests or conversations, someone will word a question like "Who was the only player to do such-and-such before his 18th birthday?". The answer would always be Henri Richard (born on Feb. 29th)

mpleafan

Jul 7, 2010
Since the formation of the NHL the youngest would be John Harms with Chicago in 1944; he was a couple of weeks shy of his 19th birthday. LaFontaine is second.

Once in awhile at trivia contests or conversations, someone will word a question like "Who was the only player to do such-and-such befo
re his 18th birthday?". The answer would always be Henri Richard (born on Feb. 29th)

Simon Gagne too, he got a goal in last years final and his birtday is also....February 29th.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad