YoungBloods up and coming

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Agreed.

I'd rather see Lazar get another year in junior and really dominate offensively. We have enough young guys who can slot into the bottom 6 roles. We need to start developing guys who are top 6 capable.

Although giving the kid 5-6 games at the start of the season to give him a taste of the NHL won't hurt.

A 5 game try out will be beneficial imo. Let him know what the next level is like.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I've always thought of Da Costa as a guy that can center a scoring 3rd line, and jump into the 2nd line when needed. If we can give him decent wingers (ie not Neil, Kassian, types) he could thrive.

He's a pickpocket that can distribute the puck nicely, and doesn't shy away when things get physical (though he isn't really physical himself).

Here's hoping a potential Spezza trade gives him the opportunity to get an extensive look.

thesensguy

Apr 5, 2014
Ottawa,Ontario
sens under 25 potential

We have a team filled with many defencemander the age of 25, and happily they mostly comprise our core. My question being what do you see as the potential for pur players and prospects. This is my take:

Karlsson: generational offensive talent, #1 dman and if he improves his defensive game potential #1 dman in the league (70+ points)

Turris: Fantastic 2-way centre who plays a responsible non risky game and his +/- Reflects it. Potential first line centre(60-70 points)

Cowen: Large physical defensive defenceman. We have seen his potential but this year has seriously regressed. I think he can only get better. Currently a #6 defenceman but has the potential to be a solid #3, like a more physical methot.

Lehner: Pretty inconsistent backup goalie at the moment but has the potential to be a solid starter goalie, like Crawford. (.920 save percentage)

Stone: has lots of potential, could be a solid 2nd liner. (40-50 points)

Hoffman: similar to stone, has loads of potential. Could be a fringe 2nd liner or good 3rd liner. (30-40 points)

Zibenejad: potential to be a 2nd line centre/first line winger. Currently a good 3rd line centre (40-60 points)

Ceci: way ahead in the typical development of a defenceman. Has a lot of room for improvement. Currently a #5ish defenceman but has all the potential to be a solid #3
Two way.

Wiercoch/Gryba: currently both are solid #5-6 and have the potential to be a good pp guy and good shutdown guy while being regular 3rd pairing players.

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
Karlsson and Turris have proven what they are. As for the rest they have shown a touch of their potential here and there but until they are consistent it's unclear what we have.

Cowen looked pretty awesome during our playoffs and the first few games in the AHL during the lockout, got injured and had a pretty disappointing season last year.

Hoffman and Stone have had some good nights, some invisible nights, and some bad. I would be happy if one of them pans out to be a regular in our lineup.

Lehner can be awesome but can also suck. It doesn't help that our defense was horrendous last season but he wasn't much better on some nights. When Andy went down he had a chance to show that he was ready but failed in that stretch. I think he pans out to be something special though once our teams learns how to defend.

Zibby is and will be good. He was compared to Fisher before and I think that is fair in terms of 2nd line center being his role.

Ceci was great and bad. Can't really blame him seeing how he had very little time to develop before he got put into the show. I expect him to be even better next year and be one of our highlights on defense.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
Gut feeling that Ceci will suffer some sophomore slump next year. Happens more often than not. Afraid of too much too soon for him. Better if we have a fail safe, insulating vet to add to the mix on the right side instead of just Gryba who runs hot and cold in his own way.

WhiteLight*

Gut feeling that Ceci will suffer some sophomore slump next year. Happens more often than not. Afraid of too much too soon for him. Better if we have a fail safe, insulating vet to add to the mix on the right side instead of just Gryba who runs hot and cold in his own way.

I'm a big Ceci fan but I agree. Ceci should not be slotted into the top 4 going into next year, even though he could play at that level.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

should have taken maatta

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
I'm a big Ceci fan but I agree. Ceci should not be slotted into the top 4 going into next year, even though he could play at that level.

Yeah, definitely. It's no knock on him or his future here. He's capable for stretches but you can't rely on him maintaining a high level of play over an 82 game sched in that role just yet I think.

should have taken maatta

Why is that?

I don't think so. Ceci has the higher ceiling still IMO. Plus, does Maatta even play the right side? He's a left hand shot but not sure how Pit utilizes him.

WhiteLight*

Karlsson: 85 points, Norris winner.

Turris: 65 points, two-way 1A centre.

Zibanejad: 65 points, two-way 1A centre.

Lehner: 0.920+ save %, franchise goalie.

Ceci: 40 points, #2-3 D.

Cowen: 30 points, #2-3 D.

Wiercioch: 40 points, #3 D.

Stone: 50 points, top six right wing.

Da Costa: 40 points, middle six forward.

Hoffman: 35 points, 3rd line left wing.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
You must be pretty pissed at your boy Timmy for that pick.... Though I imagine that when you discover that he heavily supported the pick you'll probably change your tune...

just trying to make myself look smart. i thought maatta would be the more steady reliable guy and a pick we might regret. course too early, ceci could turn out better all round. (doubt it though)
so far maatta is the better player. but killer did say "if you like doughty you gonna love ceci" and i do like doughty.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I like Turris, but I wouldn't call him a 1a center. If he's our top center, it's a position that we'll constantly wish we could upgrade. That's not to say he can't fill that top center role, just that he's not ideal. I think he could be ok as long as we have a very strong second line.

thesensguy

Apr 5, 2014
Ottawa,Ontario

I think that's a little over optimistic. I like it ;) I think if we had 2 solid "1 and a half lines" it would compensate for not having a powerhouse first line. There are very few teams that have their three best players on their first line. If we have the following (in terms of rank of our best in each position we should be fine.

2-1-2
1-2-1
3-3-3
4-4-4

And for d:

3-1
2-4
5-6

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
just trying to make myself look smart. i thought maatta would be the more steady reliable guy and a pick we might regret. course too early, ceci could turn out better all round. (doubt it though)
so far maatta is the better player. but killer did say "if you like doughty you gonna love ceci" and i do like doughty.

He he, just poking a little at you... ;)

I agree that Maatta looks pretty good, we can only hope Killer knows what he's talking about!

Its a tough one though since we REALLY do need defencemen. Maatta may end up being the better player, but Ceci might end up being the better pick for us.

I support BPA for sure, and maybe the staff will have been wrong in the end, but perhaps the difference in level will be somewhat mitigated by positional need.

We shall see.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I like Turris, but I wouldn't call him a 1a center. If he's our top center, it's a position that we'll constantly wish we could upgrade. That's not to say he can't fill that top center role, just that he's not ideal. I think he could be ok as long as we have a very strong second line.

I think the Sens want 3 Cs down the middle that can all produce at a 50+ point pace. Turris, Zibanejad and Lazar, with Smith being the 4th line C sounds like a great plan to me.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
I think the Sens want 3 Cs down the middle that can all produce at a 50+ point pace. Turris, Zibanejad and Lazar, with Smith being the 4th line C sounds like a great plan to me.

DaCosta and Pageau have to figure in here somewhere. If they sign DaCosta, I suspect that this is the year Zibanejad gets a hard look at a wing position.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
DaCosta and Pageau have to figure in here somewhere. If they sign DaCosta, I suspect that this is the year Zibanejad gets a hard look at a wing position.

I don't know if they 'have' to figure in at this point. Don't get me wrong, I think both have a chance of making the team, but I doubt the Sens are gonna drastically change things to accomodate either of those players. I guess the good news is Lazar can play wing as well, so the battle might come down to training camp for Da Costa and Pageau.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
I don't know if they 'have' to figure in at this point. Don't get me wrong, I think both have a chance of making the team, but I doubt the Sens are gonna drastically change things to accomodate either of those players. I guess the good news is Lazar can play wing as well, so the battle might come down to training camp for Da Costa and Pageau.

They have to resign DaCosta this year, and I seriously doubt he'd sign another two way. That means he'd have to play here. He's worth a chance based in his time before the injury/demotion and what he's done for France this month. Give him good guys to play with and see what happens. That's where I see Z heading to the wing as its tested out.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
They have to resign DaCosta this year, and I seriously doubt he'd sign another two way. That means he'd have to play here. He's worth a chance based in his time before the injury/demotion and what he's done for France this month. Give him good guys to play with and see what happens. That's where I see Z heading to the wing as its tested out.

MacLean has stated several times that he thinks Zibanejad is better suited to C, so I doubt there's any chance he plays anywhere other than C unless it's on the PP. Pageau might be the one who has to play wing, but I'm gonna have to challenge as to where that would be. Unfortunately for him, he looked only ok in his last call-up, while Da Costa looked really good IMO. I also don't think Da Costa could fit in as a wing either, so that might limit him right off the team.

I don't like making prospective lineups because we know nothing as fans, but I'd say it might look something like:

MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Acquisition from Spezza trade - Zibanejad - Stone
Lazar - Da Costa - acquisition (Stewart perhaps)
Greening - Stone - Neil
Condra

Unfortunately this leaves Hoffman as trade fodder for Stewart or a comparable big forward with a history of scoring goals.

The Fuhr*

We have a team filled with many defencemander the age of 25, and happily they mostly comprise our core. My question being what do you see as the potential for pur players and prospects. This is my take:

Karlsson: generational offensive talent, #1 dman and if he improves his defensive game potential #1 dman in the league (70+ points)

Turris: Fantastic 2-way centre who plays a responsible non risky game and his +/- Reflects it. Potential first line centre(60-70 points)

Cowen: Large physical defensive defenceman. We have seen his potential but this year has seriously regressed. I think he can only get better. Currently a #6 defenceman but has the potential to be a solid #3, like a more physical methot.

Lehner: Pretty inconsistent backup goalie at the moment but has the potential to be a solid starter goalie, like Crawford. (.920 save percentage)

Stone: has lots of potential, could be a solid 2nd liner. (40-50 points)

Hoffman: similar to stone, has loads of potential. Could be a fringe 2nd liner or good 3rd liner. (30-40 points)

Zibenejad: potential to be a 2nd line centre/first line winger. Currently a good 3rd line centre (40-60 points)

Ceci: way ahead in the typical development of a defenceman. Has a lot of room for improvement. Currently a #5ish defenceman but has all the potential to be a solid #3
Two way.

Wiercoch/Gryba: currently both are solid #5-6 and have the potential to be a good pp guy and good shutdown guy while being regular 3rd pairing players.

I agree with all that but other then Karlsson they are all conplentary pieces... This team has no game breaking offensive talents and need that to win the cup.

Bobby Ryan our best forward is best used as a teams third best offensive forward... Team needs two offensive forwards better then him

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'm still not sold on Hoffman although I like his speed & passing abilities. But until he starts to put up pts consistently in the NHL like he has in the AHL the court is still out on him. He could turn out to be another Conacher who management eventually got tired of waiting for him to break out & score.

My money is on Puempel to at some point next yr to take that LW spot away from Hoffman. I also like Schneider but I see him on the bottom six as opposed to the top six which is where I think Puempel eventually ends up. I think Stone is a keeper.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad