YoungBloods up and coming

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I'm still not sold on Hoffman although I like his speed & passing abilities. But until he starts to put up pts consistently in the NHL like he has in the AHL the court is still out on him. He could turn out to be another Conacher who management eventually got tired of waiting for him to break out & score.

My money is on Puempel to at some point next yr to take that LW spot away from Hoffman. I also like Schneider but I see him on the bottom six as opposed to the top six which is where I think Puempel eventually ends up. I think Stone is a keeper.

I agree with this take 100%. I like Hoffman, but until he consistenly shows offense he is not assured of a spot on this team. In fact, he's probably the guy that makes the most sense to move if you're looking for top 9 help.

I also really like Schneider and was slightly disappointed the Sens didn't call him up to take a look at him for 3 or 4 games.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Give Hoffman time. Keep him on the 3rd line and let him develop.

He has the speed, the shot and the stickhandling. Even if he doesn't have the toolbox, which is yet to be determined, he can be very useful.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Give Hoffman time. Keep him on the 3rd line and let him develop.

He has the speed, the shot and the stickhandling. Even if he doesn't have the toolbox, which is yet to be determined, he can be very useful.

Or use him as trade bait to get a top 9 guy with experience - like a Chris Stewart for Ottawa's 3rd line (not that I'm totally sold on him). At this point, Hoffman is a nice piece to have if you oodles of time to develop him, but the Sens might be much better off with some experience in there, especially if Lazar is indeed making the team.

83DIZ65

Sep 8, 2011
halifax
Stone will be here. Lazar will get atleast the probationary period and may very well play his way onto the team. Dacosta will be here or he will be in the KHL.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I think we'll still have to be patient in the next few years, and will definitely have a few voids at forward until some of the young blood matures.

Stone is ready for prime time, and will be pencilled into the top 6 most likely, at least top 9 with a spot on the 2nd PP. Staying healthy is really the only x factor for him.

Hoffman is certainly going to get an opportunity to contribute based on our current forward depth chart and deserves it based on his late season play. But let's not forget he passed through waivers twice last year. He probably wouldn't have the 3rd time, only because it was end of season and wouldn't cost a team a roster spot (or $'s) to claim him and retain his RFA rights. He has marginal value in the NHL trade market though (late round pick), so best for us to hold on to him for now. I liked the way he played, even in a bottom 6 spot, bringing some speed and energy.

Lazar will clearly get a look, but we can't count on him. He has the type of game that conceivably will adapt quickly to the NHL, but he has basically never played against men before, other than a short stint at last year's training camp where he got injured almost immediately, so we need to be cautious. When a player with his compete level plays against men while not being totally filled out and developed, things like shoulder injuries happen. He'll likely get a bottom 6 spot next season though, when all is said and done, but either way, he is still probably a few years away from being a steady 20 goal scorer at the NHL level.

Puempel and Prince might get a sniff this year, but need more seasoning. But both have been decent two-way guys, so they might get 20-30 games next year depending on injuries. I think Lazar might have even slid behind these guys a bit if he was AHL eligible, but the team will feel pressured for him to make the NHL next year given he won't have a lot more to prove in the WHL.

On D, I expect Ceci to regress a bit at some point in the next two seasons. It's quite common for a young defender when he arrives in the NHL to really simplify his game (it's what they are told to do) and this is obviously a good thing. Ceci did this very well. But as they get more experienced, they often try to physical assert themselves more, either by being more aggressive offensively or defensively. It's a natural thing for them to do, and is also encouraged. This is where set backs happen, which is fine and expected, but when it happens at the NHL level (in stead of AHL) it can be seen as a much more significant set-back in their development. Confidence can also take a hit. We've certainly seen this with Cowen, who was pretty terrific in his first 80 NHL games as a steady d-man, but has struggled since while trying to be more physical in particular (We need Steady-Jared, not Run-around-Jared).

Boro is ready, hopefully he can stay healthy. He will add something we really need to the back-end (some nasty). Claessen will get a look too, depending on injuries.

Overall, while Turris-Zib-Lazar are a nice trio to work with, I think at least one of Zib or Lazar will end up on the wing, and we need another young center in the mix. Pageau is really more of a bottom 6 guy, albeit a potentially terrific one. Maybe he'll evolve into an NHL scoring center, but hopefully he'll be a bottom six guy for us for many years, similar to what David Bolland provided Chicago for many years.

Getting a young center in a potential Spezza deal I think is important. Obviously with Spezza here, center depth is very good in the short-term.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad