GDT: Young Stars Tournament | Oilers vs Jets | 8:30PM

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
all the moaning about our prospects. you might have noticed the Mark Sheifele was on the Jets prospect roster. He was drafted the same year as RNH. and Yakupov wasn't in our prospect lineup either. might have a bit to do with why their rosters appear better than ours.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
For a guy who we drafted about 3 months ago, and someone you likely have never seen play before 2 days ago you sure are quick to write him off after watching him play 20 odd minutes of ice time.

You know that I have always respected you as a poster. And I've defended your opinion lots. But this is ridiculous.

So far in a handful of posts I've seen you say that Roy will never be an NHLer, will likely play in the ECHL and that he is an idiot. An idiot? Really? An 18 year old 2nd round draft pick who you've never seen play is an idiot? Give me a break. That's just gross.

The guy has been owned in 2 straight games. Has gotten belted multiple times in both games. This guy looks like Hemsky taking hits out there, not in a good way, and Hemsky is much bigger and can better absorb it.

To me the only time I was noticing Roy out there was him getting absolutely hammered.

This is not the successful route for a small player to take to get to the NHL. Really he's getting creamed by peers out there. I'd hate to see what he looked like playing against men. Which we might see next week, if the Oilers ever make a TC announcement.

I'm reactive like I say to hyperbole. The Oilers have been hopeless in this tournament with basically nobody looking any good. Given that it almost pisses me off sometimes how much people try to shine up the turds.

There was easily half a dozen players in the Jets lineup that looked more gifted than Marco Roy.

Idiot was kinda severe. Maybe savant..

jk aside I reacted. Still pissed at the esks being 1-9. Been dismal for sports here.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
For a guy who we drafted about 3 months ago, and someone you likely have never seen play before 2 days ago you sure are quick to write him off after watching him play 20 odd minutes of ice time.

You know that I have always respected you as a poster. And I've defended your opinion lots. But this is ridiculous.

So far in a handful of posts I've seen you say that Roy will never be an NHLer, will likely play in the ECHL and that he is an idiot. An idiot? Really? An 18 year old 2nd round draft pick who you've never seen play is an idiot? Give me a break. That's just gross.

He (ROY) has 8 shots in those 2 games all inside hash marks anyone saying he has played bad is either trolling or clueless to this game.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The players are still using the "nerves" excuse after the game here and that bothers me.

So I guess we need Katz to get them some meds to calm their nerves or something.

He was still minus 2 made one nice play because he fell in offensive zone and puck came back to him He laid out a few hits but was out of position lots why the D+ not Minus and I don't care about Rieder he will struggle at next level as well

He nearly scored early on and also made a good pass to the slot. I missed the last 5 minutes of the game so I can't comment on what happened then. That said he was banging bodies, got into a scrap and didn't look clueless offensively. I liked his game personally. I mistook you for a Rieder fan that was still choked over the trade.

lol Irony. I'm critiquing some little pint sized scrub that won't even end up being an NHL player and isn't worth even talking about and you've spent the last half a dozen seasons trolling Sam Gagner, one of the best players in the org.

yeah, you've written a lot of asswipe. I'll never run out.

ps The great Marco Roy is -4 in two games in the tournament and has 0-0-0 on the board. I must have missed something. Actually missed 5mins of the second period tonight. Apparently Roy was legendary in that 5mins. Can't say I ever noticed him except the times he got swatted out there.

I guess you either need glasses, need a new prescription, or you were tuned into the wrong game because of one of or a combination of all of the reasons that I gave above. He was easily the most noticeable forward out there IMO and one of a small handful that had good games.

The guy has been owned in 2 straight games. Has gotten belted multiple times in both games. This guy looks like Hemsky taking hits out there, not in a good way, and Hemsky is much bigger and can better absorb it.

To me the only time I was noticing Roy out there was him getting absolutely hammered.

This is not the successful route for a small player to take to get to the NHL. Really he's getting creamed by peers out there. I'd hate to see what he looked like playing against men. Which we might see next week, if the Oilers ever make a TC announcement.

I'm reactive like I say to hyperbole. The Oilers have been hopeless in this tournament with basically nobody looking any good. Given that it almost pisses me off sometimes how much people try to shine up the turds.

There was easily half a dozen players in the Jets lineup that looked more gifted than Marco Roy.

Idiot was kinda severe. Maybe savant..

jk aside I reacted. Still pissed at the esks being 1-9. Been dismal for sports here.

His peers? How many 18 year olds are there in this tournament? There are many 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, etc. year olds in this tournament yet he was easily the best offensive forward that we had out there. The Esks are not the Oilers so trying to blame your ramblings on them is weak at best.

MetaOil1993

Jun 22, 2012
Edmonton
D+ for Kessy? What did you expect from him? A hattrick and 3 fights? He had a solid game for a bottom 6 guy. Oh well I guess if Rieder had played it would've been 7-3 instead of 7-2 so I guess that's enough reason to drop Kessy's grade.

Agreed Kessy was better this game.

lol Irony. I'm critiquing some little pint sized scrub that won't even end up being an NHL player and isn't worth even talking about and you've spent the last half a dozen seasons trolling Sam Gagner, one of the best players in the org.

yeah, you've written a lot of asswipe. I'll never run out.

ps The great Marco Roy is -4 in two games in the tournament and has 0-0-0 on the board. I must have missed something. Actually missed 5mins of the second period tonight. Apparently Roy was legendary in that 5mins. Can't say I ever noticed him except the times he got swatted out there.

Roy has been the best forward the young Oil has had the last 2 games, hes 18 btw I guess players never at that old age will never improve.

From reading these GDTs the past 3 days lets get rid of Nurse, Klefbom and Roy, What busts these scrubs are. :shakehead

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
So I guess we need Katz to get them some meds to calm their nerves or something.

He nearly scored early on and also made a good pass to the slot. I missed the last 5 minutes of the game so I can't comment on what happened then. That said he was banging bodies, got into a scrap and didn't look clueless offensively. I liked his game personally. I mistook you for a Rieder fan that was still choked over the trade.

I guess you either need glasses, need a new prescription, or you were tuned into the wrong game because of one of or a combination of all of the reasons that I gave above. He was easily the most noticeable forward out there IMO and one of a small handful that had good games.

His peers? How many 18 year olds are there in this tournament? There are many 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, etc. year olds in this tournament yet he was easily the best offensive forward that we had out there. The Esks are not the Oilers so trying to blame your ramblings on them is weak at best.

That nice pass was the one I talked about him falling in corner and puck flukly came back to him , but was a nice pass missed his scoring chance.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Agreed Kessy was better this game.

Roy has been the best forward the young Oil has had the last 2 games, hes 18 btw I guess players never at that old age will never improve.

From reading these GDTs the past 3 days lets get rid of Nurse, Klefbom and Roy, What busts these scrubs are. :shakehead

If Zharkov was here he'd get the same heat from people that critique players from the way that they interact in the kitchen and just so happened to be part of the Penner deal. Oh well on the bright side Gilbert sure is making us regret trading him, I mean 29 other teams are literally outbidding each other to get his services, there are that many teams in Switzerland right?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
That nice pass was the one I talked about him falling in corner and puck flukly came back to him , but was a nice pass missed his scoring chance.

O.k., he also nearly scored just prior to his fight IIRC. The whistle blew shortly before he put the puck in the net. He looks like a guy that could be a useful role player in time IMO.

MetaOil1993

Jun 22, 2012
Edmonton
If Zharkov was here he'd get the same heat from people that critique players from the way that they interact in the kitchen and just so happened to be part of the Penner deal. Oh well on the bright side Gilbert sure is making us regret trading him, I mean 29 other teams are literally outbidding each other to get his services, there are that many teams in Switzerland right?

This is only the rookie tourney too, I can't wait to see what happens here when training camp starts next week.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I cant stand Gene....I understand he maybe doesn't know all the players/jersey numbers so I will cut him some slack in the consistent play calling department. But his ridiculous rambling about totally unrelated topics, trailing off some inane story just to jump back into the play for a couple seconds only to try and remember his place, and his lame jokes and side commentary are just terrible.
Exactly. Gene was so bad in this game that it was hard to imagine that he has any professional broadcasting experience at all. I have no idea who the other guy was, but he was equally miserable.

When calling a game such as this with a bunch of no name players, the most important thing for the broadcaster to do is to call the damn play - mentioning the name or/and number of the player as often as possible. Really, who is going to bother watching a game between these two rosters? Only a hardcore fan. Gene should realize that and take it into account when calling the game.

I turned the game off at 5-0, and as bad as the team was playing, the bigger reason was I just couldn't stand listening to another second of that brutal commentating. Try to muster some freaking professionalism and concentration for the next game please Gene. Today's effort was unlistenable.

Rest were meh
How about #47? He tuned his man up pretty good, no?

I'm reaching the point where I may have to let his actual performance quell my own biases.
Just wanted to quote these wise words. Something we should probably all give some thought to when posting here. Well said bucks. Sig worthy stuff imo.

Last edited:

scliff

Nov 28, 2009
I'm not sure where you are going with this.
You seemed to be arguing that Thomas is currently a top 5 goalie in the NHL. The point of my post was to highlight the fact that Thomas probably played his last game in the NHL two seasons ago so it probably doesn't make sense to include him in a list of current goaltenders.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
PHP:
Exactly. Gene was so bad in this game that it was hard to imagine that he has any professional broadcasting experience at all. I have no idea who the other guy was, but he was equally miserable.

When calling a game such as this with a bunch of no name players, the most important thing for the broadcaster to do is to call the damn play - mentioning the name or/and number of the player as often as possible. Really, who is going to bother watching a game between these two rosters? Only a hardcore fan. Gene should realize that and take it into account when calling the game.

I turned the game off at 5-0, and as bad as the team was playing, the bigger reason was I just couldn't stand listening to another second of that brutal commentating. Try to muster some freaking professionalism and concentration for the next game please Gene. Today's effort was unlistenable.

Just wanted to quote these wise words. Something we should probably all give some thought to when posting here. Well said bucks.
Yea Bilcke did his job but meh does not have any skill other than fists to make NHL so probably last we hear of him

oilers2k10

Yak Don't Back Down
Mar 18, 2010

Just wanted to quote these wise words. Something we should probably all give some thought to when posting here. Well said bucks. Sig worthy stuff imo.

I wish Gene knew how terrible he was at broadcasting..in one part he said "Trouba gets it out of Troouuble" such a ****ing idiot sometimes,
keep your freakin puns to pre-game warmups.

I wonder if anyone has told him personally how bad he sucks at commentating.

I like the guy, but just stay out of the commentators booth.

MetaOil1993

Jun 22, 2012
Edmonton
I wish Gene knew how terrible he was at broadcasting..in one part he said "Trouba gets it out of Troouuble" such a ****ing idiot sometimes,
keep your freakin puns to pre-game warmups.

I wonder if anyone has told him personally how bad he sucks at commentating.

I like the guy, but just stay out of the commentators booth.

:laugh::laugh: I remember that I was like wtf?, its so stupid its funny, He truly needs to stay away from play by play commentary, Same as Rob Kerr.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
I think the team looked slightly better, not as messy in their own zone and in the last two periods they started to generate some offense. The lack of any real scoring power up front showed while Comrie played well in net.

Our goalie on the other hand was a complete mess and killed any chance of a comeback. Our PP was dreadful, what's up with the three men at the blueline thing?
Most goals against came from individual mistakes, either by our goalie or the skaters. Two massive giveaways, one bobbled puck on the PK when Klefbom read the play but totally mishandled the puck and ending up on the wrong side defensively, Marincin getting walked waaay to easy, the goal after Troubas stretchpass is tricky to tell who of Klefbom and Marincin should have had the cover on a stream you have to see the whole ice to make the call, most likely it's on Klefbom, but whoever screwed up they still did enough for the goalie to save the effort but he didn't, a couple of juicy rebounds from our goalie added to that and there you go seven goals against.

The lack of any high end offensive players became kind of obvious when the offense was pretty much ran by the d-men.

Individually Davidson had the best game imo, Marincin and Klefbom looked good in flashes but both made some big mistakes defensively, both got better as the game came along, Gernat was good offensively a little out of position defensively and certainly needs to get stronger. Musil was pretty solid, his skating isn't really NHL level though. Leach doesn't impress me at all.
Of the forwards Khaira looks like he could be something, not the kind of guy who drives the play but could be a great complimentary player, Roy has some skill but needs to get smarter and stronger, his shot needs work, Miller looks slow and is trying to hard when the puck is on his stick, Platzer looked surprisingly good although more of the complimentary player as well, Chase will be interesting to follow this season looks like he could be a good bottom sixer if all goes well, Kessy sometimes is all over the place and sometimes looks like a player, Ewanyk is involved in a lot but is very limited offensively.
Other than that pretty grey amongst the forwards with some disasters like Schaber, Baddock and Fyten.

All in all a pretty typical pre-season game, hard to impossible to draw any conclusions, but you can see some of the skill at least. If we switch goalies this is probably a pretty even game though I think I'd give the edge to the Jets due to the lack of snipers on our side. Last we see of Cadorette in an Oiler jersey I'd assume.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
But but but...our secret weapon Mitch Moroz wasn't playing guys. Just remember that.

Seriously, total **** show.

What hidden gems has that "Magnificient *******" found for us other than #14 in 2008? So far I haven't been impressed.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

You liked Kessy hey? Dime a dozen thug with no talent. My own preference being the league and hockey move away from players like this.

Again, if you could see any of this in relation to another player we probably wouldn't be having this discussion. I just think its odd how quickly you can think a player is going to have a solid NHL career on the basis of two games, getting a few chances, going 0-0-0, and being -4. I think what set me off tbh is years of frustration with the club and people going off about a player like he's a ringer or something in the midst of him, and the entire team taking it on the chin. It was a hopeless couple of outings and I don't think its hard to see nobody in that milieu should be singled out for easy praise.

He's 19 in weeks, small player, limited offensive skill around the net, not much of a goal scorer, not much hockey sense in traffic, I've seen this nature of player so many times. As with anything calls are probability based. I say the kid doesn't have an NHL future. Pretty much what I see with that. You seem to think with some poundage he'll have a "solid NHL career"

Guess what side probability lines up on? I would bet on this easy and win. Taking candy.

Funny you referenced Teubert. That was the bust I called a couple of years back after seeing preseason games. afairc you thought he was going to have quite a career. But thats your take with any middling prospect with a pulse.

Last edited:

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
I tend to agree that MacGregor hasn't proven to be anything other than an average to below average evaluator of junior talent. Even Prendergast found some late round steals (that the Oilers dumped) like Brodziak and second rounders that panned out like Stoll and Greene. The MacGregor era hasn't been great outside of first round (and first overall) guys.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I tend to agree that MacGregor hasn't proven to be anything other than an average to below average evaluator of junior talent. Even Prendergast found some late round steals (that the Oilers dumped) like Brodziak and second rounders that panned out like Stoll and Greene. The MacGregor era hasn't been great outside of first round (and first overall) guys.

MacGregor's had the job for five years, starting as the 2008 draft. Five years is about how long it takes to evaluate a single draft, and he had no second or third round picks in 2008. That makes it very difficult to say he hasn't had late round turnouts.

In the case of Kevin Prendergast, he had exactly two guys on the roster in his fifth year whom he drafted. Stoll and Hemsky. Stoll was an overager who re-entered the draft. It took him six years to cement a place on the NHL roster from his first draft year. Dubnyk took 7 years to start, Petry took 5 years, Brodziak took almost 6 years, Greene took almost 5. It's been rough with Pitlick, but Lander and Marincin are probably going to play. What comes (if anything) out of Davidson, Gernat, Martindale, Bunz, Roy, etc - who knows. Because we certainly didn't know about Brodziak two or three years after his draft.

Another thing to point out? KP was awful in the first round too. Even if you eliminate the first overalls, it'd be hard to say MacGregor hasn't done well with Eberle, Paajarvi, Klefbom and Nurse.

Last edited:

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
all the moaning about our prospects. you might have noticed the Mark Sheifele was on the Jets prospect roster. He was drafted the same year as RNH. and Yakupov wasn't in our prospect lineup either. might have a bit to do with why their rosters appear better than ours.

Good point. All of the top Oiler prospects basically played in the NHL in their first year. We do not have a top 10 pick from 2010 on still in the minors, except for Nurse.

And we all know most D need more development than FWD's, which would explain why we have so many D prospects and not really any FWD prospects that are top 6 worthy.

All our good guys are playing in the bigs already.

TheBrew

Mar 9, 2003

I think Replacement needs new glasses just ask him how horrible Ricky Ray is:laugh:

Oct 15, 2008
MacGregor's had the job for five years, starting as the 2008 draft. Five years is about how long it takes to evaluate a single draft, and he had no second or third round picks in 2008. That makes it very difficult to say he hasn't had late round turnouts.

In the case of Kevin Prendergast, he had exactly two guys on the roster in his fifth year whom he drafted. Stoll and Hemsky. Stoll was an overager who re-entered the draft. It took him six years to cement a place on the NHL roster from his first draft year. Dubnyk took 7 years to start, Petry took 5 years, Brodziak took almost 6 years, Greene took almost 5. It's been rough with Pitlick, but Lander and Marincin are probably going to play. What comes (if anything) out of Davidson, Gernat, Martindale, Bunz, Roy, etc - who knows. Because we certainly didn't know about Brodziak two or three years after his draft.

Another thing to point out? KP was awful in the first round too. Even if you eliminate the first overalls, it'd be hard to say MacGregor hasn't done well with Eberle, Paajarvi, Klefbom and Nurse.

Macgregor has been scouting for the Oilers since 2000.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad