Young Stars: McDavid Shines in Spurts During Oilers Debut

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Good article. Just FYI on mobile one of the ads can't be closed or moved aroubd and blocks out a chunk of text.

Jeff Lebowski

Jan 12, 2008
I wouldn't say McDavid shined. He really didn't stand out much at all, but it's his 1st game at this level of competition. He's still getting his feet wet. I sure hope that he didn't just start coasting through the game after getting hit. If he did, then he can expect a lot more of that once teams know that's all they have to do to shut him down. He should do the opposite. If they hit you, turn up your game and make them pay on the scoreboard.

Last edited:

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Thanks for the heads up on the mobile app issue, I will pass it along to the boss and see if you can manually move the ad, that's out of my control.

Jeff: when the real bullets start flying, you can bet he'll be soaring start to finish and a hit like that probably will light his fire. I just think he slowed down on purpose and took it easy because there was nothing at stake last night. It was a rookie game and most those players sharing the ice with him in Penticton will never step foot on NHL ice. Well, half of them won't anyway. So McDavid literally had nothing to prove and he was just having fun...when he wanted to, which wasn't often after the Virtanen hit.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Very well done.

That's exactly how I seen it as well.

McDavid had more quality scoring chances in the game than the whole Canuks team IMO and was clearly not using his top gear most the game.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Thanks for the heads up on the mobile app issue, I will pass it along to the boss and see if you can manually move the ad, that's out of my control.

Jeff: when the real bullets start flying, you can bet he'll be soaring start to finish and a hit like that probably will light his fire. I just think he slowed down on purpose and took it easy because there was nothing at stake last night. It was a rookie game and most those players sharing the ice with him in Penticton will never step foot on NHL ice. Well, half of them won't anyway. So McDavid literally had nothing to prove and he was just having fun...when he wanted to, which wasn't often after the Virtanen hit.

Yea. There's two kinds of great athletes IMO and they would respond differently to getting hit like that in a meaningless game.

The Jordan's, Pronger's, Messier's, etc... would take over. Their alpha personalities wouldn't let them do any less.

The LeBron's, Lidstrom's, Gretzky's, etc... would realize that it's a meaningless preseason game and save it for the real thing.

Based upon his humility and the way he carries himself, McDavid is in the latter category.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Yea. There's two kinds of great athletes IMO and they would respond differently to getting hit like that in a meaningless game.

The Jordan's, Pronger's, Messier's, etc... would take over. Their alpha personalities wouldn't let them do any less.

The LeBron's, Lidstrom's, Gretzky's, etc... would realize that it's a meaningless preseason game and save it for the real thing.

Based upon his humility and the way he carries himself, McDavid is in the latter category.

That's very well stated, Mc5RingsAndABeer. I couldn't agree more.

I concur. Excellent point 5rings...exactly my thinking as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad