Young players try out 1972 equipment to see how it affects their performance

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
would love to see a game played, by NHLrs, wearing this.
Always been curious, amongst all the arguments here… and have always felt this way regarding golf, as well. I dont want to make assumptions, I just want to watch it.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Always been curious, amongst all the arguments here… and have always felt this way regarding golf, as well. I dont want to make assumptions, I just want to watch it.
Oh, yes! I agree. They should try this at the All-Star "game" or something, and see how today's players could manage.

Reactions: Dingo

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
Oh, yes! I agree. They should try this at the All-Star "game" or something, and see how today's players could manage.
Likely much worse than the players back then. Obviously an awkward comparison, because they've never done it before vs a generation who grew up with that equipment. But it would definitely not look good haha.

It's kinda the same with giving a 2022 equipment to players from back then, they wouldn't know how to get the best out of it, even if it would improve their performance.

Reactions: David Bruce Banner

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
It's kinda the same with giving a 2022 equipment to players from back then, they wouldn't know how to get the best out of it, even if it would improve their performance.
Or just simply wouldn't want to, like Al MacInnis was the hardest shooter in the league with a $30 wooden Sher-Wood at a time when composite sticks were already mainstream.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I think that it would be eye opening for people, especially if they made the players play shift lengths that NHLers used to play.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I so want to see the NHL play a game with everyone wearing the old zero ankle support tube skates just to stop the "pLaYeRs ArE sUcH bEtTeR aThLeTeS tOdAy" garbage a lot of current fans spew

Reactions: fish7

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Depending on the injury risk of people not used too, would certainly be interesting, camera technology has well, could wonder how much of the perceived difference come from the quality of the captation sometime (in boxing it is maybe a more obvious case, hands often quite faster than cameras )

Such a simple game had somewhat very similar to today quality of footage because it used actual film:

And the feeling of players movement those footage can be different.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
As a kid, I was a very good shooter — I could really rip it (wrist, snap, slap). Used a Koho and sometimes a Victoriaville.

Today, I’m over 60 and if I use one of my sons’ very high end composite sticks, I can shoot even better than when I was 17-18. Incredible tech — it is just stupidly easy to load and release the shaft. But I can’t control a pass to save my life.

As an aside, once a year around Thanksgiving I hit the golf course with a few buddies for an old-school round — persimmon drivers and woods, putters that look swiped from a 1975 mini-putt, spalding or northwestern irons, Kro-flite balls … last year, I won the long drive contest (173 lovely yards with both testicles put into that mighty swing). For reference, I typically hit my current Ping G410 240+ yards.

Current sports tech is insanely good. Keeps me feeling young(ish).

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
As an aside, once a year around Thanksgiving I hit the golf course with a few buddies for an old-school round — persimmon drivers and woods, putters that look swiped from a 1975 mini-putt, spalding or northwestern irons, Kro-flite balls … last year, I won the long drive contest (173 lovely yards with both testicles put into that mighty swing). For reference, I typically hit my current Ping G410 240+ yards.

I remember reading about a golf journalist who did a round at a course that actually provided vintage equipment as part of their services. I wish I could find the article, it was eye-opening to be sure.

This would have been Bobby Jones era equipment.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
As a kid, I was a very good shooter — I could really rip it (wrist, snap, slap). Used a Koho and sometimes a Victoriaville.

Today, I’m over 60 and if I use one of my sons’ very high end composite sticks, I can shoot even better than when I was 17-18. Incredible tech — it is just stupidly easy to load and release the shaft. But I can’t control a pass to save my life.

Current sports tech is insanely good. Keeps me feeling young(ish).
Which frustrates me to no end that the argument for goalie pad size is wrapped up in player safety. Horse. Shit.

Goalie pads are big because goalies want big pads. There is no reason modern sports tech can't make protective gear that has the same profile as goalies from the 60s/70s. Lets see goalies make saves again rather than shuffle slightly to the correct angle.

Shots on the rush from just inside the blueline aren't even chances today.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Which frustrates me to no end that the argument for goalie pad size is wrapped up in player safety. Horse. Shit.

Goalie pads are big because goalies want big pads. There is no reason modern sports tech can't make protective gear that has the same profile as goalies from the 60s/70s. Lets see goalies make saves again rather than shuffle slightly to the correct angle.

I feel bad for some of those 80s highlights where you see a goalie with pipe-cleaner limbs and pads sticking out at the ends of their extremities making a dramatic movement only to have the open slapshot from the wing just blow right by him.

It looks hilarious by today's standards (a SWING and a MISS) but they did actually have to move their limbs to make the save.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013

I don’t have any problem at all with non-professional players in most sports using the most state of the art equipment. For instance, I know lots of recreational level golfers who use Pro-V1 balls because doing so makes the game much more fun for them. Same thing with goalie pads, composite sticks, etc.

But professionals should not want or need any of that stuff. They are supposed to be the best of the best, and when they use what amounts to training wheels … well, let’s just say I’m embarrassed for them. Looks and feels cheap.

I know this is a minority viewpoint, btw. Many posters on the main board certainly wouldn’t agree. But I like to see unaided athletic performance at the highest levels, not tech-boosted exploits.

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Most of the top sprinters in the world would lose against Jesse Owens under the conditions he ran. Canada’s top sprinter and Olympic medalist did an experiment:

Now, how good would McDavid look wearing the gems that Orr wore:

ATTACH]

Attachments

• 1663874472654.jpeg
    1663874472654.jpeg
    21.8 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: MarotteMarauder

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
I remember reading about a golf journalist who did a round at a course that actually provided vintage equipment as part of their services. I wish I could find the article, it was eye-opening to be sure.

This would have been Bobby Jones era equipment.
some of the youtube golfers have done rounds or hitting at the range with old hickory shafted drivers, and mashies, and all that.
Rick Shiels did a good one, or maybe it was two, with old clubs and also with a box of balls from various eras. worth a watch.

Best thing i ever read was the club Pro at Baltusrol trying to hit the famous Macagregor 1 iron that Jack hit on the 217yd 17th to make birdie and win the US Open.

I cant remember all of the details, but i do think that the pro not only couldnt hit the green, he couldnt actually get it far enough, and they ended up moving him onto a closer teebox where he did have the distance and still failed to get it on the green.

Most of the top sprinters in the world would lose against Jesse Owens under the conditions he ran. Canada’s top sprinter and Olympic medalist did an experiment:

Now, how good would McDavid look wearing the gems that Orr wore:

ATTACH]
well, i wish we could find out.

im not as confident as everyone in this thread about the result, but i sure would like to see… because that equipment can be found and its a very interesting and worthwhile experimen.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I think that the players today would have issues with the equipment. In 1972 almost no one had a helmet. The masks for goalies basically kept it that you didn't get a cut (for the most part) but getting a slap shot in the face still had you drop to the ground. The skates would be awkward too.

This funny commercial from 2005 sums it up perfectly with "throwback" equipment.

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Swedish Lennart Strandberg ran 10.3 in 1936. It doesn't sound believable that his adjusted time would be well under 10 seconds.

I’m sure de grasse would improve his times with a lot more training in those types of conditions and could compete with Owens times, but it’s an interesting test nonetheless. I a young Owens clone would likely be a contender for gold medals, and his best times wouldn’t be .8 seconds behind Bolts best times.

Reactions: Dingo and Rengorlex

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
I’m sure de grasse would improve his times with a lot more training in those types of conditions and could compete with Owens times, but it’s an interesting test nonetheless. I a young Owens clone would likely be a contender for gold medals, and his best times wouldn’t be .8 seconds behind Bolts best times.
i think when the measuring device, in this case a track, is stabilized while also there being an incentive for a very large body of competitors training full time - then you will find a human ceiling.
Where gaps are tiny it is likely that ceiling has been reached. Where gaps are enormous it likely has not. Witness the gap times of high school track vs college vs olympic.

The clean and jerk bar and training and incentive to train has been maximized and stabilized for 40 years. In that time, just recently has a lofter finally beaten Leonid Taranenko’s best lift from 1987. But, far more importantly, the top lift of a superheavyweight in that time period has always been within roughly 5 kilos, or about 2%, EXCEPT for the boycotted LA Games, wherein the top lift was a good bit lower and the ‘league’, if you will, was weaker.

I doubt very much that Owens is very far ahead or very far behind Carl Lewis, Ben Johnson, Donovan Bailey, Bolt, etc. He would be right in the mix, imo.

The only thing I have in my reasoning to downplay early 70s hockey players is that there wasnt the same incentive to push them. Poor money creates a lack of depth of new lions ready to knock the old ones off. I have zero doubt that the best back then were as genetically gifted as players now… its that they werent, as a group, as incentived. I have no way of knowing which of them would have responded positively to a greater threat of job loss. In fact, it is likely that some of the lesser players may have risen to the top in different circumstances…. just as some players were more built for the 90s than they would be now… doesnt mean they werent top athletes, only that their individual sets of positive attributes lent itself to a particular era.

Reactions: wetcoast

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
I have no way of knowing which of them would have responded positively to a greater threat of job loss.
And different people benefit quite differently to added training (at least in things like Baseball), if everyone trains a lot more since they are 6 maybe it elevates different people in a different way.

I think one possible clue here could be the soviet players, depending of the talent pool they started with, they iced incredibly solid team for the numbers of people playing hockey with their ridiculous amount of training (but maybe the scouted a giant amount of people and conscripted to play the very best and it mean nothing in that regard).

Reactions: Dingo

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Equipment has obviously improved over the years. Gloves and sticks are big changes. Skates too, but the 1970s tube skates weren't bad at all.

I remember big differences in skates during the same era - in particular, the late-'70s and early-'80s....I always wore Bauer skates, but a couple times I tried one of the plastic-molded skates - I think they were Langes - and I almost fell over backwards when I stepped on the ice...what a difference!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad