Post-Game Talk: Young Ducks beat Jets 4-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
well, PLD is supposed to be a line-driver offensively down-the-middle. the guy was a 1C for a PO team with strong 5v5 scoring production and rates. some of that was due to Panarin or Bjorkstrand of course, but he did spend time away from those 2 and his underlying stats were still solid (for example with Bemstrom+Milano/Wennberg or J.Anderson). id consider Copp/Perfetti (if he's still on the same team)+Wheeler a better linemate mix.

svech/harkins/ves (ill just lump these 3 together) should not be ahead of wheeler. wheeler is still superior than those guys.

What he is "supposed" to be doesn't matter. From what we have seen so far on the Jets he is not close to being a 1C, I don't think many people will disagree.

Lets see him put up some points playing with an elite player like Ehlers before putting him in role where he has to carry a line. I get that he was great in Columbus but he hasn't shown that here.

The only line change I'd be comfortable with on those top 2 lines is swapping Copp and Connor. Connor-PLD-Ehlers was a great line in their limited minutes and maybe Copp can help Wheeler/Scheifele a bit defensively.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
What he is "supposed" to be doesn't matter. From what we have seen so far on the Jets he is not close to being a 1C, I don't think many people will disagree.

Lets see him put up some points playing with an elite player like Ehlers before putting him in role where he has to carry a line. I get that he was great in Columbus but he hasn't shown that here.

The only line change I'd be comfortable with on those top 2 lines is swapping Copp and Connor. Connor-PLD-Ehlers was a great line in their limited minutes and maybe Copp can help Wheeler/Scheifele a bit defensively.
He looked a lot closer to a 1a/b C in game 1 vs Anaheim than last season. He was faster and seemed fitter (more energy throughout shifts). He also showed a willingness to use his size to impose himself on the game. I think he's poised to have a big season, but I'd like Maurice to start giving him more ice-time and responsibility.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
What I don't get about the Jets is how there was ZERO net front presence that game. If you watch the highlights of Leafs/Habs game you'll notice how many times you have Leaf players mucking it up in front of the net. If Leafs- literally one of the softest teams in the league can have bodies in front of the net then I'm not sure why the Jets don't.

Net front presence is what I'll be looking for in games going forward. A guy like Copp should park his ass in front of the net everytime Jets gain the zone, he'd score a bunch just banging in Ehlers' rebounds.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
What I don't get about the Jets is how there was ZERO net front presence that game. If you watch the highlights of Leafs/Habs game you'll notice how many times you have Leaf players mucking it up in front of the net. If Leafs- literally one of the softest teams in the league can have bodies in front of the net then I'm not sure why the Jets don't.

Net front presence is what I'll be looking for in games going forward. A guy like Copp should park his ass in front of the net everytime Jets gain the zone, he'd score a bunch just banging in Ehlers' rebounds.

This team for three years now doesn't get to the danger area with any regularity. It's baffling and hopefully something that is addressed this season.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I agree. It seemed that one of the Jets' "adjustments" to the PP and other play is a lot more "pucks to the net", but their forwards really aren't aggressive at getting net-front to create screens and tips. If you have Lowry on 1 PP and Copp on another, it's ridiculous that they aren't better at creating more chaos around the net.

Reactions: ps241

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

Yup. That’s why I think you’re out to lunch if you think Gibson stole that game.

We made it easy on him and made him look good. Fluttering muffins from low-danger areas are pucks a goalie like Gibson will stop every game, especially with no one in his grill.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
He looked a lot closer to a 1a/b C in game 1 vs Anaheim than last season. He was faster and seemed fitter (more energy throughout shifts). He also showed a willingness to use his size to impose himself on the game. I think he's poised to have a big season, but I'd like Maurice to start giving him more ice-time and responsibility.

If he is going to be on a 2nd line centering Svechnikov and Perfetti as the poster who I was responding to was proposing then he needs to be able to put up points and score. Simply playing fast and physical isn't enough if you are in that role.

I am hoping he has big season too but until he does I want him to be put in a position to succeed (i.e with an elite player on his wing).

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
i agree with you that he has not lived up to it and has been hugely disappointing. people are hyping up last game where he looked ok against a C group composed of 3 rookies (zegras/lundestrom/groulx) and a 36 year old Getzlaf. he wasn't outstanding but it was def better than most his tenure here which is a positive, i guess (bar is so low but w/e)

but if he isn't capable of driving a line or given a bit of a leash to showcase it, and is just a product of another elite player what do we do with him after this year? to me, if he is just another middle 6C, then that is likely replaceable for probably less $$$.

imo you need to find out a bit what we have in him, notably away from ehlers. this is more-so rhetorical, but all i hear is last year was an outlier and whatnot (not from you perhaps, but generally in discussions), if those who are so confident in PLD (as i am, since his career-to-date is far more good than bad) then playing away from ehlers, but still with top-6 calibre linemates, shouldn't be a problem. this is just me projecting, i think the net difference of having connor-scheifele-ehlers and a 2nd line of copp/perfetti-dubois-wheeler would be positive compared to CSW+Copp-pld-ehlers. this is just opinion though.

you caught me before the edit, but wheeler still rates solid at driving offense. how much of scheifele's stats bleed into his? im not sure. furthermore, wheeler's best defensive season, and only one where he rates average since '16 was when he was playing 2nd line mins/toi (as 2c with ehlers+roslovic).

Reactions: JetsFan815

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
Except that is not all. The teams are in drastically different points in their competitive cycle. As to that the Jets were playing from behind for most of the night.

I have some issues with Mo's player utilization but your comparison is completely without context.

Yes , playing from behind or chasing the Ducks as people like to say. Well the geezers weren't catching the Ducks, so why not try younger chasers for a couple more minutes. Statements like "Jets had 10 powerplays" so that's why X got more minutes " don't hold water either. The Jets did virtually the same thing on every PP and it didn't work. So mix it up a little with younger skill guys, once or twice, no? This was a regular season game, you want to win of course but it's not win or go home so you don't need to play basically 2 lines for the second half of the game.

We don't play until tomorrow but Wheeler and Stastny might still be weezing and Copp, given a bag of pucks and standing directly in front of the Pacific ocean and shooting would likely miss the ocean 95% of the time. Perfetti and Svechnikov could have each been given a turn on the PP without drastically bruising anyone players paper thin ego. I'm no fan of Vesalainen but the Jets still don't know what they have because I've played almost as much Jets hockey as he has. Say what you will about context but "You can't handle the truth".;):DD:nod:

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I remain extremely pleased with Connor's game. I'm sure he'll still struggle in the defensive zone, but if he regularly backchecks like he did against the Ducks, and with our D actually being able to move the puck out the zone, his line should have more offensive zone time this year.

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
Serious and maybe naive question…..Did Maurice actually say that they were implementing “new” systems?
I can't track down his interview, but posters here interpreted it that way.

Winnipeg Jets Training camp: September 23 (mod warning OP)

^He's referred to change in multiple interviews, but as other posters pointed out in the linked thread, it could just be minor tweaks, or Maurice could also be bullshitting - there's a bit of precedent where he says one thing (like "Young guys shouldn't sit in the press box for long periods of time") and does the opposite...

Reactions: KB1971

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I remain extremely pleased with Connor's game. I'm sure he'll still struggle in the defensive zone, but if he regularly backchecks like he did against the Ducks, and with our D actually being able to move the puck out the zone, his line should have more offensive zone time this year.

Agreed... I saw lots of fans chirping him on his defensive play but seemed to me that they were just going by their priors and looking for things to confirm those priors rather than fairly evaluate his game. If he can play like that for 82 games he could be on track for his best season in the league. Even the Ducks broadcast (who are total homers) were pointing out his great backchecks.

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
I can't track down his interview, but posters here interpreted it that way.

Winnipeg Jets Training camp: September 23 (mod warning OP)

^He's referred to change in multiple interviews, but as other posters pointed out in the linked thread, it could just be minor tweaks, or Maurice could also be bullshitting - there's a bit of precedent where he says one thing (like "Young guys shouldn't sit in the press box for long periods of time") and does the opposite...

Thanks. And on that note I, too, will remain optimistic.

Reactions: FonRiesen

Potential

Nov 11, 2017
That team would be like the Oilers from 2 years ago. A one line team that literally would have no hope of scoring outside the top line which would see the toughest matchups.

Interesting how narratives change, past seasons people were bitching and moaning about the talent and icetime not being spread out and now you want to load up one 1 line? Loading up Ehlers/Scheifele/Connor on one line is a the nuclear measure of last resort option, if that line starts getting deployed to start games it would be indicative of the Jets having a rough few games leading up to it.

Well, the thinking was Connor and Ehlers spell off of one another so well, as Connor is the sniper, and Ehlers opens up the space for him to do so, and Scheif works the half-walls/end boards.

Svech and Dubois lit it up together in the QMJHL, so the thought there was to reunite them again: Svech makes the space with speed, Perfetti has wicked hands, and Dubois works the boards.

The other two lines are skilled checking lines with the ability to score some greasy goals.

I personally feel this is much more balanced than what we have now. If you don't have the hands to finish off of a feed from Ehlers or get a puck to Connor at speed (Copp/Wheeler), those tools are nullified. They're holding back the lines.

You need speed combined with skill to succeed. Just my thoughts.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles

Stats/Lowry/Perfetti feels like it's lacking a shooter imo. Happy Perfetti might get another but he really should be playing with one of our 3 triggermen I think.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

Stats/Lowry/Perfetti feels like it's lacking a shooter imo. Happy Perfetti might get another but he really should be playing with one of our 3 triggermen I think.

i feel like stastny isn't the best at W. i feel like that that neuters his strengths a bit (200 ft play down the middle, IQ, play-making to either wing) and exemplifies his weaknesses (speed, shot)

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
i feel like stastny isn't the best at W. i feel like that that neuters his strengths a bit (200 ft play down the middle, IQ, play-making to either wing) and exemplifies his weaknesses (speed, shot)
I agree. Do you move PLD to the wing then? The org obviously wants to develop him as our 2C. There’s no way they play Lowry on the fourth line so I think this is the only option for Stastny.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I agree. Do you move PLD to the wing then? The org obviously wants to develop him as our 2C. There’s no way they play Lowry on the fourth line so I think this is the only option for Stastny.
Unless they play Lowry on the wing and Stas at centre which would still be weird.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

They have "Goal" Perfetti. He has a wicked shot.

He has the 6th highest under-17 season goal scoring total in the OHL since 2000. Only Tavares, Hall, Wright and Stamkos scored more as a 16-year old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad