Young core, great future

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Looking at Ottawa's best/leading players, none of them are even close to reaching the hill called "Over".

Just look at the core forwards
Turris
Zibby
Stone
Hoffman
Ryan
MacArthur

Then sprinkle a few up'n comers with their best years ahead of them.

Lazar
Pageau
Chiasson
Puempel
Prince

Add a a couple of older players which bring experience...

Michalek
Condra

...and you have a future that looks really good, great if we can land a good free agent next season.

Defence looks a little fishier, not lnowing how Cowen will pan out, but Karlsson and Ceci are sure studs for the future, Methot still has several great years left in the tank if his back holds up.

Boro
Gryba
Wiercioch
Phillips

...are all easily replaced and improved through free agency, trades or through prospects already in the system.

On top of this our goalie situation looks solid, even if Lehner never pans out.

I predict a Stanley Cup Final for Ottawa within 3 years. Yes, I'm serious.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Agreed. Stone and Ceci's progressions have IMO set us up well for the future.

We now have 2 first line wingers instead of 1 and 3 top pairing defenders in the fold.

Don't forget we have 15 mil+ of cap space available and 3 picks in a deep draft inside top 60 which great scouting staff.

Future looks perfecto. If we had a top 3 defender with this current group I could see us going ECF and if we had 1 more top line winger we'd be contenders.

A top 3 defender not that hard to find IMO. Could get one from Free agency. A top line winger I'm hoping Puempel becomes that guy, he's looked REALLY good or Hoffman keeps progressing.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Top 10 future in the league (closer to 5 than 10 as well)

Just need to turn turn some of our young players into a top line forward and a top 4 LD. Need a Ryan-type trade and a Burns-type trade to put this team over the top.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
It'd be cool having Brent Burns here. A unique player that can play both offence and defense well. I can't think of too many other guys in the league that can do that..maybe Byfuglien may be the other one

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I'm pleased and optimistic about the future but far from sold on it

We thought the sky was the limit going into 2013-2014

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Montreal Sportscaster today was talking about Borowiecki and indicated his brother played against him for years and told him he was the hardest checker in the league. Everyone was aware of where he was on the ice. Eventually Boro finished his career with a hit (legal) that just crushed him. Nilan was all over that. Fraser said Montreal better understand that Gryba is the No2 hitter in that pair.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Every team is getting year by year its just todays nhl, I bet if you restarted this season the standing will be shuffled completely and some teams would miss and make the playoffs that were vice versa, this game is relying more and more on bounces, and luck than skill now.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Montreal Sportscaster today was talking about Borowiecki and indicated his brother played against him for years and told him he was the hardest checker in the league. Everyone was aware of where he was on the ice. Eventually Boro finished his career with a hit (legal) that just crushed him. Nilan was all over that. Fraser said Montreal better understand that Gryba is the No2 hitter in that pair.

I think Boro will make a huge name for himself after Montreal series. Hopefully for better than for worse.

He can be a bruising difference maker whenever a Montreal player goes into the boards.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005

Boro is a heart and soul warrior and definately a quality guy on the bottom pairing. Guy is a better Carkner 5 years younger.

That cheap 3 year about million per year contract looks better and better. Boro is a core player. He is a leader and a captain type guy. He is a young Willie Mitchell.

Guy would face a double cement brick wall... And break it down and win. He might not be that talented... But his intangibles are like a bazillion bagillion quatillion. Thing is he is still young and not a broken down guy. He might not have a long career... But he is not that old yet.

To me Methot-Karlsson and -Ceci are cement here and Boro on the bottom pairing. Boro is no option or something to upgrade on. There is no upgrade. $1.1 bottom pairing LD. Yeah. He is no healthy scratch ever. You want him in the lineup.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Every team is getting year by year its just todays nhl, I bet if you restarted this season the standing will be shuffled completely and some teams would miss and make the playoffs that were vice versa, this game is relying more and more on bounces, and luck than skill now.

Nope... Confidence. It is a parity league and we BELIEVE we willwin. Not luck or bounces or skill. We think we will win and do. We might hit a wall or win the Cup. All 16 rosters are not that different now. It is pyschological to abog degree. And right now our goalie thinks he is Patrick Roy, Mark Stone thinks he is Bobby Hull. Karlsson believes ge is Paul Coffey. And we win.

Hopefully the players keep believing.

BigBush*

Boro is a heart and soul warrior and definately a quality guy on the bottom pairing. Guy is a better Carkner 5 years younger.

That cheap 3 year about million per year contract looks better and better. Boro is a core player. He is a leader and a captain type guy. He is a young Willie Mitchell.

Guy would face a double cement brick wall... And break it down and win. He might not be that talented... But his intangibles are like a bazillion bagillion quatillion. Thing is he is still young and not a broken down guy. He might not have a long career... But he is not that old yet.

To me Methot-Karlsson and -Ceci are cement here and Boro on the bottom pairing. Boro is no option or something to upgrade on. There is no upgrade. $1.1 bottom pairing LD. Yeah. He is no healthy scratch ever. You want him in the lineup.

we are on the same page :)

i love when MTL fans call him a borderline NHL defenceman. Hes a very solid D IMO. Along with what you listed, he makes a good first pass, and while his gap control isnt the best, he doesnt give a guy an inch of space once in the defensive zone

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
we are on the same page :)

i love when MTL fans call him a borderline NHL defenceman. Hes a very solid D IMO. Along with what you listed, he makes a good first pass, and while his gap control isnt the best, he doesnt give a guy an inch of space once in the defensive zone

He is smart and safe. And he stopped taking bad 2 min penalties. He did in his call-ups a lot. He has a ton of fighting majors but he massively curtailed 2 min agression penalties and is safer on the hooking, onstruction penalties because he gets beat less.

We had guys fight for us. No one like Neil though. Neil picked his spots. As does Boro. Boro fights when we need a boost of energy. He changes momentum.

Konopka took any fight. Boro fights at the key time... And is among the leaders in fights in the league. And he usually wins.

We have seen or recent playoffs had fights and rough play. Even if less fighting in the playoffs.

Boro has relentless aggression... But this season he is relentless controlled aggression.

Boro is so smart and if there is a guy in the league that gets 110% from his talent and skill set it is Boro. If Cowen got that from his skill set he is Chara-lite not healthy scratch.

If you want to pick guys that bleed for what this team has fought for in this streak it is Pageau, Boro and Stone. Relentless. Play like you are 50 pounds bigger. Max force every shift. Smart. Don't beat yourself.

Hey there was being a "Bruin". They won the Cup and played that way. As unsubstantial as being a "Bruin was or is". There is something to that. (Trading a top talent cuz he wasn't a Bruin was dumb with Seguin)

But being a Sen. Being a Sen now means something. And it us the big Stone clutch goal and Celly. It is Pageau being smaller then anyone and playing like a wrecking ball and making every team mad. And it is Boro breaking his face and getting stitched up and not misding a shift and fighting next game. It is Hammond being unconcious. It is Karlsson playing half the game and cranking it up. Boro is part of what is a "Sen". And we finally have An identity! As tangible and real as what is a "Bruin" and that is a great thing. And why we keep winning.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Boychuk being a "Bruin" on the Island did a good part in making the Isles the 100 point team they are.

Establishing an "identity" as a team is huge. The Kings did it after Sutter came there and kept it for two Cups! Once you BELIEVE you can cone back from 3-0 or 3-1 deficits. You just think you will win. We have lightning in a bottle now. We have to keep it and we can win it all. And then keep that core and anything is possible. Confidence is huge. Down 3-0 versus Pens we come back. Heck Flames found it and came back 4-0 on us. That was the Flames not Anderson failing or the team protecting the league. That was the Flames refusing to lose. They had that Karma belief. We won in OT.

That is what we have now. We might be better off going down 3-1 then spanking the Habs to win the Cup.

I have seen so many "great" Sens teams fold when
They faced adversity. This team eats adversity for dinner and then had dessert and a coffee. But maybe 26 games if do or die and we can just throttle everyone and never get overconfident?

I want to stay on the ride. Most fun as a Sens fan ever. This team... I believe in. They believe in themselves too.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Playoffs will be interesting, no doubt.

Wonder if Cowen will ever mature into the player we all hope, if not, is it time to deal him now - and if that's the case, for what/who?

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Boro and Volchenkov were the only two players i could realistically see being killed or killing someone on the ice.

Boro blocks shots without any fear and he regularly fights bigger players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad