You looking for a new team to support? Here's 10 great reasons to become a Toronto Maple Leafs fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
me reading the op

upload_2020-11-18_12-49-14.png

Reactions: dukeofjive

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
This post jumped to my #1 reason not to become a Toronto Maple Leafs fan. I'm kidding. Nice effort.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Before 1970, I was a Leaf’s fan, and celebrated the Cups of the sixties - especially ‘67. They had great players then, who put the team’s winning first.
Over the following decades I grew to like my current team (Canucks) and REALLY HATE the Leafs. I must admit I still have plenty of Leaf’s memorabilia, but nothing newer than Darryl Sittler’s rookie card.

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Most who follow hockey have their team and they're usually sticking with their team until the end of times.

1. The Maple Leafs is an original six team with a proud histororic legacy
For many who choose a new team to follow it's important to look at what kind of history the team you choose has. The Maple Leafs is one of the original six teams in the League and have won a total of 13 Stanley cups during it's 100+ year run in the NHL. And The Leafs have historic great players like Darryl Sittler, the record holder for most points in a single game with 10, the greatest Swedish player of all time and to many the greatest Leaf player of all time Mats Sundin and now Auston Matthews, the record holder for most goals in the first NHL game with 4. And many don't know this, but the legendary Conn Smythe led the Leafs and was resposible for 8 Stanley cup wins.

3. The future looks bright
The Leafs have had a few roung seasons lately but things are looking better. Toronto is currently one of the teams with the most potential and Toronto now has a nice mix of talented youth players and grizzly veterans to go for a run. Especially adding Joe Thorton was a good move as he'll be a good mentor for Matthews, Marner and Tavares and hopefully will help them find a new gear to their game.

So how about you and your team? What are 10 great reasons to become a Stars fan, Rangers fan, Sabres fan, Canucks fan and so on...?

1. I hate the term "original 6" more every time I hear it.

3. The future looks bright. Doesn't EVERY team say this every year?

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Haven't won a cup in ages
+
Haven't won a playoff series in a long time
+
Deep pockets
=
Great management?
They have Pridham who is basically if Stephen Hawking was doing math for a hockey team.
Shanny is in Mensa as well.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Had a bad day. This made it much better, overall. Thanks!

Sadly I must abstain from being a fan of this awesome team and franchise myself, but I promise I will follow their games more closely now when they finally have an all-times great player in their roster.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
But I thought Toronto fans were oppressed due to the oh so horrible salary cap!! Why ask to be oppressed?

weinsink

Feb 8, 2018
Most who follow hockey have their team and they're usually sticking with their team until the end of times. But some fans change teams over time. And people who are newer fans of hockey might not yet have found the team that they would like to support. Or maybe you're like Mulletman, a lone wolf who really enjoys hockey, but for a long time just wanted to be a true independent fan that doesn't need a team to follow. Well no matter who you are and why you're looking for a team to support, I'll give you 10 good reasons to why you might want to become a Toronto Maple Leafs fan.

1. The Maple Leafs is an original six team with a proud histororic legacy
For many who choose a new team to follow it's important to look at what kind of history the team you choose has. The Maple Leafs is one of the original six teams in the League and have won a total of 13 Stanley cups during it's 100+ year run in the NHL. And The Leafs have historic great players like Darryl Sittler, the record holder for most points in a single game with 10, the greatest Swedish player of all time and to many the greatest Leaf player of all time Mats Sundin and now Auston Matthews, the record holder for most goals in the first NHL game with 4. And many don't know this, but the legendary Conn Smythe led the Leafs and was resposible for 8 Stanley cup wins.

2. Toronto is basically the mecca of Hockey
Toronto has many times been called the mecca of Hockey and that's kind of true. Toronto has the biggest team in the League with the most fans. The Hockey Hall of fame is in Toronto. And the hockey news media is basically centered in Toronto. That's why a lot of hockey talk is also centered around the Toronto Maple Leafs. So being a Maple Leafs fan will make it seem like you're always the center of attention.

3. The future looks bright
The Leafs have had a few roung seasons lately but things are looking better. Toronto is currently one of the teams with the most potential and Toronto now has a nice mix of talented youth players and grizzly veterans to go for a run. Especially adding Joe Thorton was a good move as he'll be a good mentor for Matthews, Marner and Tavares and hopefully will help them find a new gear to their game. Plus with the Raptors winning the NBA title it gives hope that winning in Toronto is possible despite the enormous pressure that comes with it. Plus there's also the fact that Boston might not be in the same division this upcomming season.

4. You get to watch Matthews build his legacy
Few players over the last decade have seen as much hype as Auston Matthews and the hype is real. As a Leafs fan you'll see him build his legacy and get to follow a player that will go down as one of the all time greats. Most likely Auston Matthews will be the guy to break Mats Sundin's Leaf goal record and point record and become the first player in history to reach 1000 points with the Toronto Maple Leafs. And there's a really good chance Matthews will win a few Rocket, Art Ross and Hart trophies along the way...

5. Great management
Many teams struggle with a bad management, but it seems like the Leafs have finally been able to put together a good managemnet team. Lou Lamoriello build a good foundation and Brendan Shanahan has been good as the president. Seems like having a retired power forward in that position is pretty much always a good move. Sheldon Keefe seems like a pretty decent coach too, even if the jury is still out on him. I wasn't a big fan of Kyle Dubas as he has that weak look. But besides getting bent over by Nylander and his agent, Dubas has made some really good moves that have improved the team.

6. The Leafs have the deepest pockets in the League
It really helps to have the monetary resources when it comes to the hockey team you follow. As a Leafs fan you get the clear edge as the Leafs are able to offer big money deals that other teams simply can't afford. Plus we have all the best laywers that can bend the rules and structure the contracts so that we get a competetive edge compared to most other teams. That's why it's really interesting to be a Leafs fan during free agency.

7. The Leafs haven't won the cup since 1967 so winning the cup as a Leafs fan will be extra sweet
It's been almost 54 years since my Leafs won the cup last time. It's currently the longest cup drought in the League. This has really humbled a lot of us fans. Some may look at this like the Leafs are cursed and will never win the cup again. But we all know that if the Leafs win the cup it will be more sweet than winning the cup with any other team. It will be the closest thing to winning the powerball as you're going to get as a hockey fan. So if you yearn for winning the Stanley cup to be a truely special moment, become a Leafs fan

8. The Leafs will probably be the team that can benefit from Covid the most
Covid is ruing hockey right now as we hockey fans are missing out on McDavid's absolute peak and what could be Matthews', MacKinnon's, Laine's, Marner's, Aho's and other great players peaks as well. Plus we're being robbed of one more potential 50 goal season by Ovechkin. But the team that will probably benefit the most from this whole Covid mess is the Leafs. We have the best financial situation and can help out other teams when they need to unload good players they can't afford to keep anymore. If the management plays their cards right, the Leafs might become a new potential dynasty within a few years.

9. Being a Leafs fan is kind of like turning heel
There's no hiding the fact that as a Leafs fan you're not going to be particularly popular here on HFBoards. So if you grew up watching Star Wars and rooting for the empire, or watching pro wrestling and rooting for Ric Flair and Scott Steiner, or watching Harry Potter and rooting for Voldemort, you'll feel right at home. Other fans will come at you hard and they'll celebrate when your team fails, but you'll still find much support amongst other Leafs fans here on HFBoards.

10. As a Leafs fan there's more to hockey than winning the cup
To many fans of contending teams it's all about winning the cup and for teams at the bottom it's all about winning the draft lottery. But as a Leafs fan hockey is more than just winning the cup. As a Leafs fan the draft and free agency is one of the most exciting times since you know your team will be able to do some big money deals. And the hype for the next season is always incredible with lots of exciting discussions about how it will go. And the actual regular season is such a roller coaster ride with each win looking like a giant victory and each loss looking ike the end of the world. It's such a great emotional ride to be a Leafs fan.

So how about you and your team? What are 10 great reasons to become a Stars fan, Rangers fan, Sabres fan, Canucks fan and so on...?
Try and get some fresh air sometime!

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I'll play along. This started as a parody of the OP, but it kinda veered off on to a one way street

You looking for a new team to support? Here's 10 great reasons to become a Los Angeles Kings fan

1. The Kings are Second Six team with a checkered history.
How many other teams can boast that one of their former owner’s internet bio title is “Criminal” No One!
upload_2020-11-18_14-18-3.png

Who else can claim their next owner went bankrupt after your owner went to prison! Nobody else!

2. Los Angeles in the most international city in North America.
Want a bacon wrapped guacamole covered hot dog covered in onions and habanero cooked over charcoal in a stolen shopping cart with negative regard for sanitation?

There is no other place!!!

Want a Beyainatu platter the perfect ending to watching your team get destroyed during yet another day game? You can’t get one in many other places.

Want to celebrate being knocked out of the playoffs in December with all you can eat Bulgogi? You can do it in Los Angeles!

3 The Kings have one of the best pools in hockey.
We aren’t talking about actual players here, we are talking about the pool at Dustin Brown’s almost 7 million dollar mansion on the beach. There is an infrared sauna sits near a saltwater swimming pool surrounded by palm trees where you can lay in the sun 362 days a year.

4. The Kings have changed jersey designs more often than most change their underwear.

Have you ever wanted a jersey that looks like a fast food icon? Or want people to think you are really a Laker fan wearing long sleeves? The Kings are your team
Like wearing purple and have people think that you are a fan of Sacramento basketball? No other team can offer this luxury!

5. Do you love to hate team management?

Many fans consider Rob Blake, the teams General Manager a traitor. His nickanme is Judas.
It’s popular in sports to be unhappy with management. But, the Kings are the only team in hockey with a General Manager that stripped himself of the Captaincy as a player of the team and was booed by it’s fanbase in two other rival organizations.

6. The Kings owners bought the team to build a stadium and develop old closed sweatshops in Downtown LA.

Want to watch a mediocre team in one of the nicest and best maintained arenas in the world surrounded by miles of shopping, hotels, restaurants mere minutes from skid row ! The Kings are your team!!!

7. No matter how well the team does you will always be in the shadows of the Lakers, Dodgers, and the NFL teams

Who wants attention? Instagram whores. If you aren’t an Instagram whore and want to lay low, throw on a Kings jersey. In a city of over 10 million almost no one will care!
Even when you win 2 championships in 3 seasons, few will notice! If you aren't an attention whore, we are your team!

8. If you want a long traffic filled hell of a drive to a stadium with little to no public transportation….
Do you love to hate the environment? Want to burn up multiple brontosaurus fossils on the 10 freeway going 3 mph for 3 hours uphill both ways?
Is paying $25 to park your dream?!
This is your team!

9.Want to hear local news anchors come up with seemingly impossible butchering of your player names and have them call the puck a ball? WE ARE YOUR TEAM!

10 . Do you dream of endlessly having your fandom questioned because of stereotypes about your city?

Ever wanted to be told you aren’t a real fan simply based on where you were born? Have you ever wanted to be accused of arriving late and leaving early? Ever wanted to be called a bandwagoner when your team finally wins even though you have watched every game for the last 30 years. We got you fam!

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Well, the challenge was made, so I guess I feel obliged to meet it.

Top 10 reasons why it's even better to be a Jackets fan:

1. We have a cannon.
Really, that should be enough by itself, but there's other reasons to elaborate on.

2. Jackets fandom implicitly demonstrates your commitment to the game.
Any random whoever can be a fan of the Leafs or the Rangers or any of those other popular teams, or of one of those newcomers like the Golden Knights or the Kraken. It's easy to jump on those bandwagons. By contrast, most casual fans forget we even exist at all. We're a perpetual dark horse with a fanbase that is largely strictly regional. Being a Jackets fan means you stand out as someone exceptional.

3. Defensemen.
We brazenly stole this one from the Preds and aren't giving it back. Werenski/Jones is potentially the best blueline pairing in the NHL, and the others aren't that bad either. If you like defensive play, they're really fun to watch.

4. Seriously, we have a cannon.
Decades-old traditions have their own appeal, to be sure, but it's even more fun to be part of one that's really begun to get up off the ground floor. The cannon qualifies. It's there because of a fan initiative (so you can claim partial credit for it being there), and it punctuates every positive moment on the ice with style. It's something more to be proud of, in addition to the team. Everybody has a goal siren of some kind, but only we set off literal explosive charges for every goal.

5. John Tortorella is much more awesome when he's on your side.
Yes, he had a bit of a clownshow reputation. But he's actually a pretty awesome guy once you get into the details. And c'mon; who doesn't enjoy having a guy like that in their corner?

6. Bright future? Yeah, we've got that too.
The Jackets have been among the youngest team in the League for several years running, and have arguably the youngest core in the League. No single-standout forward names (unless you count Dubois), but the team is top-to-bottom well stocked, the crease has spectacularity potential, and the blueline is already badass. And these guys are all in their low-to-mid 20s. It'll be worth sticking around.

7. The Drunken Master Of GMing runs the show here.
If you're the type who enjoys rollercoasters, following Jarmo Kekalainen's moves are guaranteed to induce a similar effect. He's about as predictable as a butterfly in a hurricane, and yet he still keeps the team competitive and doing well. Doug MacLean kept claiming that his moves were impressive and attention-grabbing; Kekalainen actually does it, and the team keeps coming out the better for it. It's wild.

8. You get respected, rather than hated.
Turning heel full-time sounds fun in theory, but in practice it's emotionally exhausting. Instead, the most common comment you'll see about the Jackets reflects a dawning sense of respect. We haven't been around griping for decades and making nuisances of ourselves enough to set folks off, so when people do take notice of us, it's when they're up against the team on the ice... and they're obliged to notice that, hey, yeah, this is a respectable opponent. It's a nice feeling.

9. When we do lose, it's usually a credit to our opponents rather than a knock on our team.
For the last four years running, the Eastern Conference winner has had to contend with us on the way to the Cup finals. Tampa Bay might not have gone all the way if it weren't for having to face us as their boogeyman. We're in the toughest division in hockey and we stand shoulder-to-shoulder with those teams; we're not a passenger. And this team never quits; if we are to go down, we go down hard. That's something to be proud of - and worth respecting, since nowadays it's harder to win a division title than it is to win an O6-era Stanley Cup.

10. I did mention the cannon, right?
Point and laugh at the fans who flinch when it's fired. Smile smugly at the media personalities who complain, because they're just jealous. This could be you.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I actually thought that this was one of his better efforts not that it means much in the big scheme of things.

I'd read more but I need to brush up on the best vacuums to buy for my wife Christmas and other pressing needs.
My wife is actually (still) a Leaf’s fan, and often cooks stews in her Leaf’s crockpot. :help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad