You know what I love about this tournament?

trickster

Maple Leaf Lane Forever
Mar 6, 2002
Leaf Nation
I love that this tournament gives the best indication of what type of players these kids could be...

You look at Backlund's regular season stats in Sweden and you think - what is wrong with him?

In the WJC though, these guys play against players their age, and it really lets them showcase their skills...

Sweden has some talent!
Backlund
Berglund
Figren
Moller

Very nice!

What do you like best about the WJC?

Last edited:

gorrillaunit18

agree w/ you 100%...My pick on the US team is Colin Wilson. :D

Joretus

Game is not overtactic yet(like in seniors). It's even better in wider rinks in Europe. There is still nice contact in games. A lot of skills and speed in games.

Paxton Fettel

Mar 3, 2006
this tournament is no indication of anything for many players.

most of them will be pretty bad, no matter how well they're playing at the WJC.

Gozer

Sep 22, 2005
Västerås
this tournament is no indication of anything for many players.

most of them will be pretty bad, no matter how well they're playing at the WJC.

Yeah I think you are right. I heard one of the swedish commentators say that at average 2 players from each years team (swedish) establish themselves in the nhl. Then there are some marginal players, but as much as all these players are hyped right now, not that many is actually gonna make it all the way.

SM17

Nov 25, 2005
my favourite thing about the tournament is the passion these young men show. There is no money involved, and they play their hardest. All of them are proud to represent their country and play with the pride of their nation.

joe_shannon_1983*

Yeah I think you are right. I heard one of the swedish commentators say that at average 2 players from each years team (swedish) establish themselves in the nhl. Then there are some marginal players, but as much as all these players are hyped right now, not that many is actually gonna make it all the way.

Yep.

Even Canada, who on a year-to-year basis probably has the highest amount of future NHLer's, often have players perform huge for them at the World Juniors only to end up doing nothing the rest of their hockey lives.

Ten

Apr 25, 2007
Toronto.
I love that this tournament gives the best indication of what type of players these kids could be...

You look at Backlund's regular season stats in Sweden and you think - what is wrong with him?

In the WJC though, these guys play against players their age, and it really lets them showcase their skills...

Sweden has some talent!
Backlund
Berglund
Figren
Moller

Very nice!

...No it doesn't. You can do jack all here and still become a good player. You can be the best player in the tournament and become just another fringe AHLer.

Leading Scorers;
1- Henrik Sedin
2- Milan Kraft
3- Daniel Sedin
4- Brandon Reid
5- Evgueni Mouratov

Leading Goaltenders;
1- Iyla Byrzgalov
2- Alexei Volkov
3- Zdenek Smid

Leading Scorers;
1- Pavel Brendl
2- Jani Rita
3- Jon Disalvatore
4- Vaclav Nedorost
5- Andy Hilbert

Leading Goaltenders;
1- Tomas Duba
2- Rick DiPietro
3- Ari Ahonen

Nothing in this two week tournament has any bearing on how you will turn out as a pro player. Period.

dmacgreg37

Dec 11, 2007
British Columbia
...No it doesn't. You can do jack all here and still become a good player. You can be the best player in the tournament and become just another fringe AHLer.

Leading Scorers;
1- Henrik Sedin
2- Milan Kraft
3- Daniel Sedin
4- Brandon Reid
5- Evgueni Mouratov

Leading Goaltenders;
1- Iyla Byrzgalov
2- Alexei Volkov
3- Zdenek Smid

Leading Scorers;
1- Pavel Brendl
2- Jani Rita
3- Jon Disalvatore
4- Vaclav Nedorost
5- Andy Hilbert

Leading Goaltenders;
1- Tomas Duba
2- Rick DiPietro
3- Ari Ahonen

Nothing in this two week tournament has any bearing on how you will turn out as a pro player. Period.

Totally disagree. It has some bearing, not as much as others would say. Even in the down years you picked there were several successful NHLer's on those lists. You kinda picked 2 years that were easy to prove your point, so here's the opposite.

Only 3 and 4 years ago, so these kids are all 23 or under, and almost all of them have been All-Stars or will be future All-Stars

Top Scorers (2004)
Player G A Pts.

Dawes, Nigel (Can) 6 5 11
Parise, Zach (USA) 5 6 11
Stewart, Anthony (Can) 5 6 11
Valtteri, Filppula (Fin) 4 5 9
Lespitso, Sami (Fin) 4 4 8
Bartschi, Patrik (Sui) 3 5 8

Top Scorers (2005)
Player G A Pts.

Bergeron, Patrice (Can) 5 8 13
Getzlaf, Ryan (Can) 3 9 12
Ovechkin, Alexander (Rus) 7 4 11
Carter, Jeff (Can) 7 3 10
Olesz, Rostislav (Cze) 7 3 10
Malkin, Evgeny (Rus) 3 7 10
'

Also, I'll throw in the year after your picks.

Top Scorers (2002)
Player G A Pts.

Cammalleri, Mike (Can) 7 4 11
Boyes, Brad (Can) 5 4 9

Aulin, Jared (Can) 4 5 9
Hemsky, Ales (Cze) 3 6 9

Last edited:

kov

Jul 5, 2002
NYC
This tournament is a chance to see prospects that most of us wouldn't otherwise be able to see. It's not necessarily a good chance to see what all prospects bring.

You know what would be really, really cool? A Combine: each nation sends their teams, but then they get mixed and matched into semi-random teams -- the coaches could get switched around, too! Then they all play a day, practice a day, either in a tournament format like the WJC, or maybe instead they switch the teams up *again*, and do another league format. Maybe an all-stars-style skills contest. All under the watchful eyes of the scouts and mgmt, and all the rest of us that cares.

More scouting, less chest-thumping, a bigger test of the players rather than the coaches and tactics.

Ten

Apr 25, 2007
Toronto.
Totally disagree. It has some bearing, not as much as others would say. Even in the down years you picked there were several successful NHLer's on those lists. You kinda picked 2 years that were easy to prove your point, so here's the opposite.

Only 3 and 4 years ago, so these kids are all 23 or under, and almost all of them have been All-Stars or will be future All-Stars

Top Scorers (2004)
Player G A Pts.

Dawes, Nigel (Can) 6 5 11
Parise, Zach (USA) 5 6 11
Stewart, Anthony (Can) 5 6 11
Valtteri, Filppula (Fin) 4 5 9
Lespitso, Sami (Fin) 4 4 8
Bartschi, Patrik (Sui) 3 5 8

Top Scorers (2005)
Player G A Pts.

Bergeron, Patrice (Can) 5 8 13
Getzlaf, Ryan (Can) 3 9 12
Ovechkin, Alexander (Rus) 7 4 11
Carter, Jeff (Can) 7 3 10
Olesz, Rostislav (Cze) 7 3 10
Malkin, Evgeny (Rus) 3 7 10
'

Also, I'll throw in the year after your picks.

Top Scorers (2002)
Player G A Pts.

Cammalleri, Mike (Can) 7 4 11
Boyes, Brad (Can) 5 4 9

Aulin, Jared (Can) 4 5 9
Hemsky, Ales (Cze) 3 6 9

And how many good players never even suited up for their countries?

Brodeur and Roy are the best two goaltenders of all time, when did they play?

This tournament has no bearing on how you will turn out. Olesz and Carter had as many points as Malkin in 2005, can they even be compared now?

dmacgreg37

Dec 11, 2007
British Columbia
And how many good players never even suited up for their countries?

Brodeur and Roy are the best two goaltenders of all time, when did they play?

This tournament has no bearing on how you will turn out. Olesz and Carter had as many points as Malkin in 2005, can they even be compared now?

Obviously, Canada produces more than 20 good players every year, therefore, not everyone will make the team. That doesn't mean the tournament has NO bearing on future performance. If it did have none, then the NHL teams wouldn't spend so much money sending multiple scouts to the tournament in obscur places like Skelleftea, Sweden each year. Can Carter be compared to Malkin as an offensive force, no. Is he a very valuable player, absolutely.

Ten

Apr 25, 2007
Toronto.
Obviously, Canada produces more than 20 good players every year, therefore, not everyone will make the team. That doesn't mean the tournament has NO bearing on future performance. If it did have none, then the NHL teams wouldn't spend so much money sending multiple scouts to the tournament in obscur places like Skelleftea, Sweden each year. Can Carter be compared to Malkin as an offensive force, no. Is he a very valuable player, absolutely.

Fact is, while some players succeed, just as many players (if not more) fail to live up to the hype this tournament puts on them.

It's an absolute crapshoot.

jk421*

My favourite part of this tourney has EASILY been the hot Czech girls out on the ice in their little dresses during the Player of the Game Awards.

:amazed:

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
The WJC's always had a high skill level but this tournament as well as the last few since around 2002 or so have really shown that the new generation of players are really much improved over the last generation.

Watching Canada/Finland, I was amazed how skilled the players were at some of the stuff that NHL veterans can't handle. Popping pucks from mid-air with their sticks or just things like back passes that actually end up to their intended targets.

Sure the kids make more mistakes than NHL'ers do, that is to be expected. But some of the plays these kids are making this year are unreal.

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
To me, I think that this is the purest form of hockey...before the almighty buck corrupts everyone of these hockey players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad