Post-Game Talk: You get a blown lead! You get a blown lead! Everyone gets a blown lead!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
**** off with the "sick of Babcock" ********. I hate this fanbase so much.

Agreed. the leafs are still rebuilding. They need more players more notability on defence. They finished butt naked last last year. Yet fans expect this team to easily make the playoffs with no growing pains and blame Babcock if they struggle. I'll tell you guys what I'm sick of ....this portion of the fan base :shakehead

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
People are pissed because we here understand the game. We understand Babcock is messing up and that Hunny and Polak are problematic. He could optimize better and we all know this.

Jeebs

Oct 26, 2011
We're getting .879 goaltending right now. We wont forever.

Im super stoked about how all the rookies have been playing.

I just can't see what Babs sees in Polak and Hunwick. How long do they have to be awful before he starts sheltering them the way #7 dmen should be sheltered?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

I just can't see what Babs sees in Polak and Hunwick. How long do they have to be awful before he starts sheltering them the way #7 dmen should be sheltered?

We won't be scoring 4 goals forever either.

horner

May 22, 2007
Kadri hasnt looked good - he's in a defensive role doesn't fit with him
Hence we need a shut down center

Anderson needs to be alot better

Polka doesn't fit and doesn't look good
Hence we need a tough defensive defenseman

The kids look incredible

I think Nielson will be up sooner than later
Big tough mobile and a blooming shot from the point
Hence with that shot will be great on the pp

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
We won't be scoring 4 goals forever either.

Exactly. I sure hope he is just testing his team to solidify who he wants and doesn't. I mean there can be zero doubt after that absolutely weak disgraceful play of Hunny and Polak that the kids are better! Valiev is way better alone compared to Hunny and Polak.

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
What's really annoying is people are thinking we as a fanbase are overreacting. How are we supposed to react after blowing leads in 4 games out of 5. The blame is somewhere, whether it's coaching, defense or goaltending. You can't just sweep it under the rug and say oh we are still a young team/we were last year, especially when it's not the younger guys screwing up.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton

What options does he have at times though?

Carrick and Gardiner and Mediocre defensively... and I probably don't even have to look it up... Rielly and Zaitsev have logged the most minutes on the team....

TheRexman

Just have fun
Jul 5, 2015
Quebec City
I don't know why you guys are freaking out about blown leads. You have a really young team comprised of a lot of new pieces. Teams like this have to learn how to win. The hallmark of any young team like this is learning how to close out games and how to win basically. The fact this team is competing and all your young guys look good and are producing should have all of you thrilled. This pretty much how this should be going and you all should be thrilled.

You are absolutely right. Watching the post game video, Babcock mentioned it was the vets who were making the mistakes. Well to me that's just fine because I don't consider many of the vets to even be in the short term plans for this team. We have our core, we still have a large group of young players in the AHL and juniors who will be pounding on the door to make the team next year and the only vet on the team I see sticking around is Kadri, maybe Gardiner. The rest will be replaced through trade or promotions from within.

With that in mind, the kids are doing great, both Matthews and Nylander sit 1 and 2 for scoring among rookies and Marner has looked dangerous every game and should probably have twice the points he has now. Also, Zaitsev is transitioning well, Brown and Hyman are killing it on the penalty kills. Seriously, what's not to like? Besides our goaltending, which I also expect will improve as team defense improves, the problem areas like Hunwick, Polak, Bozak etc will be gone in a year or two. Until then, they can take the heat as our core learns how to work together and shut down these games their leading in.

Yes it would be nice to stop blowing the leads in the 3rd but on the positive side, the team has scored 4 goals a game in every game but one. Eventually that's going to be enough to win most of the time.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Carrick and Gardiner and Mediocre defensively... and I probably don't even have to look it up... Rielly and Zaitsev have logged the most minutes on the team....

I would say considering how early in the season it is. Carrick and Jake look about as an avg second pairing. Hunny and Polak are junk.

Jeebs

Oct 26, 2011

All of his options are better than Hunwick and Polak.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
What's really annoying is people are thinking we as a fanbase are overreacting. How are we supposed to react after blowing leads in 4 games out of 5. The blame is somewhere, whether it's coaching, defense or goaltending. You can't just sweep it under the rug and say oh we are still a young team/we were last year, especially when it's not the younger guys screwing up.

The rebuild is a process. Success doesn't happen over night.

The positives from this:
1) we have leads that we need to defend
2) Our draft pick is probably improving (3 points lost probably = 1 increase in draft position).

To me its clear that we have had a lot of issues in the defensive side of the game. Defenders arn't boxing out the forwards in front of the net, and we sometimes lose our coverage. This WILL be fixed.

leafsfan1234

Jun 18, 2016
I would say considering how early in the season it is. Carrick and Jake look about as an avg second pairing. Hunny and Polak are junk.

In terms of playing in our own zone, I'd rate our bottom 4 as:

Polak
Gardiner
Hunwick
Carrick

Our D situation isn't pretty.
edit: forgot about Marincin, he's actually probably the best on that list though sadly.

Mad Brills*

though again, every coach has his blind spots, and babcock liking ****** 3rd pairing dmen is a problem.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Again... what option did he have? Gardiner and Carrick are liabilities in the defensive end, and Rielly and Zaitsev can only play so many minutes...

I'd take Gardiner and Carrick with their lapses 10/10 over Hunwick and Polak still.

I love Babcock - but it is annoying how he seems to over use these terrible bottom pairing guys - I'll be a happy man when management trades them away.

Jeebs

Oct 26, 2011
Again... what option did he have? Gardiner and Carrick are liabilities in the defensive end, and Rielly and Zaitsev can only play so many minutes..

What have Polak and Hunwick done to suggest to you that they are anything other than terrible at defense?

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
I'd take Gardiner and Carrick with their lapses 10/10 over Hunwick and Polak still.

I love Babcock - but it is annoying how he seems to over use these terrible bottom pairing guys - I'll be a happy man when management trades them away.

Carrick was put out last time in Winnipeg and failed...
Gardiner has probably blown his coverage more this season than any other defender that was playing last night...

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
What have Polak and Hunwick done to suggest to you that they are anything other than terrible at defense?

Well that partially is my point... they're not great options, but our best option.

Polak hasn't actually been that bad, but still isn't an ideal option...

How I'd rank players I'd want on the ice defending in a defensive zone face-off:

Rielly/Zaitsev
Polak
Hunwick
Carrick (Based on his prior attempts in previous games)
Gardiner

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Its too bad Freddy 5.0 can't make a big save in the 3rd when the Leafs need it as the kids are giving him lots of run support.

You can't win many games when you give up 5 goals against, and its resulted in Leafs losing 4 of their first 5 games.

It must be demoralizing to the youngsters that the losses are mounting despite their best efforts.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
With decent goaltending the Leafs are probably 4-1 right now instead of staring at 1 win in their first 5 games.

Not even great or elite, simply decent.

I sincerely hope the faith Babcock and management have in this fairly inexperienced goaltender is well-placed.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I really dislike Andersen as your guys' go to goalie to backstop this exciting young team. Its so deflating having someone let in weak goals when you have young guys carrying the load and scoring goals. Ive loved so many moves Lou has made(draft picks/signing/trades) but disliked this Andersen acquisition from day 1. With a better goalie, this teams record would be completely opposite IMO

On the Ducks, he was a somewhat unproven goalie that was used to playing half a season or so on a very good team. Now he is a #1 goalie on a extremely young and inexperienced team.

I truly hope he gets going better here soon cause he needs to show why he will be the man the next 5 years

Cmon Freddie... just cause you signed a 5 year contract worth 5 mill per year, doesn't mean you have to let in 5 goals per game every night!!!

Jeebs

Oct 26, 2011
Well that partially is my point... they're not great options, but our best option.

Polak hasn't actually been that bad, but still isn't an ideal option...

How I'd rank players I'd want on the ice defending in a defensive zone face-off:

Rielly/Zaitsev
Polak
Hunwick
Carrick (Based on his prior attempts in previous games)
Gardiner

I would put Polak and Hunwick at the bottom. Also, it's silly to have Carrick below them because 1 time he got beat. Every dman gets beat at some point. Polak and Hunwick get beat all the time and people still seem to think they are defensive dmen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad