Speculation: You Can Only Ditch 1 Group (Coaches or Vets)

Get Rid of Coaches or Get Rid of "Vet Leaders"

• Total voters

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
This is similar to the other thread, so I think discussion can remain there. I'm looking at this as just a poll only. I think we all chose (BOTH) in the other poll. I want to see what we choose if we have to choose just one.

Option 1: Fire all three coaches

Option 2: Trade 2-4 of Stepan, Kessel, OEL, Goligoski, and Raanta

Basically, ditch either the coaches OR the veteran leadership group but NOT BOTH.

Pick one to lose.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Pretty easy choice for me. I'd honestly like to see if a new coaching staff can get a different tune out of this roster, to include the vets. I dont feel like RT organizes this team in a fashion that plays to their collective strengths or perhaps more importantly, in a way that mitigates their collective weaknesses. I think this is perfectly exemplified by watching our Power Play unit perform over the course of the season to include the last handful of games. Perhaps a player like OEL or Stepan wont return to past glory, but I sincerely believe they're capable of more than they've shown under RT.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I'd trade people only because the head coach's contract expires next year anyway. Kessel and OEL have term. So if I could move those two, I'd ride out a year of Tocc and crew.

Reactions: RemoAZ

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Players matter more than coaches. The great Daryl Reaugh once equated the role of coaches to that of Dolly Parton's bra ... "you just gather 'em up and point 'em in the right direction." You win because of your players and lose because of your players.

Pending the actual results of this season, if changes need to be made, I'd rather see players moved than Tock.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Players matter more than coaches. The great Daryl Reaugh once equated the role of coaches to that of Dolly Parton's bra ... "you just gather 'em up and point 'em in the right direction." You win because of your players and lose because of your players.

Pending the actual results of this season, if changes need to be made, I'd rather see players moved than Tock.

Well, one point I'd add to that is that it's cheaper to buy a bra that provides better support than it is to pay for a boob job, haha!

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Players matter more than coaches.

Only if you have an average or above coach. A bad coach can make a good roster look awful. A bad coach can fail to get anything out of even the most talented players. Coaches are easier to fire than turning over an entire roster, especially coaches that have a track record of being bad. If guys with rings (as a HC) can get fired, there's no excuse to cling to Tocchet.

Given that motivation is supposed to be Tocchet's specialty, it's pretty disturbing how unmotivated the team can appear at times and how inconsistently they approach games.

Reactions: Fuhrious

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Sure seems like we’re going to get a small combo. Seems like only MacLean will go (and I won’t be surprised if he’s brought back). And I’m guessing we only get a couple of vets dealt.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Brought back? As in we were too cheap to pay him for the summer but will invite him back when the season goes?

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
There's no point in re-upping the guy until they decide what they're doing with his boss. Why hire the assistant when you didn't know who the new GM would be and don't know if the new GM wants his own coach. Then you're firing the coach and MacLean, as opposed to just letting MacLean walk and figuring it out later.

I could see him coming back if they stick with Tocc.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Easily the coaches. OEL, Keller, Dvorak, Crouse, Fischer etc could all potentially play much better with a different coach. The team as whole could play much better with someone else leading them. I still think if Tocchet was fired in January we might be seriously talking about Hall extension right now...

I'd really like to see this group try one more time with a different coaching staff, then if it isn't working sell off everyone before the TDL.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
What a terrible condemnation of our roster's leadership and character then. Trade all of them if that's the excuse.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad