You Be The Boss - Winnipeg Sun

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'd be willing to bet most of the people who responded that they'd like Kane gone would if given the opportunity to expand on that say that they don't want him gone in a bad deal. I think its more a matter of people feeling like there needs to be a bit of a core shake-up and Kane is the guy they'd prefer to be removed...

As far as Enstrom goes, I just feel like as much as he's a good, smart D man he's going to be a liability if we ever do make the play-offs. Watching the games so far in the first round has done nothing to change that feeling for me. Its freakin all out war on the ice and Enstrom is gonna get moydered.

I get that about Kane, but I think they'd be better to wait and let him elevate his game next year. I also think he's one of the Jets who could thrive in the playoffs when the going gets tougher.

I think Enstrom is smart and skilled enough to play well in the playoffs. Krug has done just fine in Boston, IMO.

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
I don't think Kane should be traded this year. He's young, the potential is still there, and I think the deciding factor is he still has 4 years left on his contract, so it's not like you're up against a pending UFA that you need to get something for because you don't think he will resign with your club.

I don't see any negative outcomes to hanging on to Kane, but there are a couple of drastic ones if you let him to too early.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Winnipeggers are super sensitive about people they perceive as not wanting to be here. Everyone gets the impression that Kane would rather be in a bigger market and it rankles folks. Rankles 'em somethin' fierce!

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Winnipeggers are super sensitive about people they perceive as not wanting to be here. Everyone gets the impression that Kane would rather be in a bigger market and it rankles folks. Rankles 'em somethin' fierce!

.... then Kane sees that half of the fans responding to the poll want him gone, while preferring to hang onto Halischuk, O'Dell and Jokinen. Why bother? :shakehead

boanst

May 25, 2013
There are a lot of people in this city that hate Kane. Hate his attitude, hate his selfishness.

Theres more of them than how it looks on here. Have a jets conversation and bring up Kane's name and there will be usually 1 or 2 people that have to throw in the obligatory "hate that guy" comment.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
I think Clitsome is going to be hard-pressed to have a job come opening night, considering how Postma, Pardy, Ellerby, and Redmond all stepped up last year. At this point I would take any of them over Clitsome.

From what I can tell, Clitsome's underlying numbers are actually fairly decent. IMHO he had a few bad games and gaffes this year which have taken root in our minds.

Ellerby's underlying numbers are pretty awful afaict.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I dont get the love for Buff at forward personally. He's just as productive from the back end, but is honestly more effective there tbh. give him a bit of a mean streak...he's awesome.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
Not everyone is going to be a Teemu Selanne, Kane is not the warm and Fuzzy type and who cares, being brash and cocky can be a positive trait in an athlete as far as I'm concerned.

And this selfishness b.s. :shakehead Kane wouldn've scored 20 goals this year had he not chosen to pass to Peluso on a sure empty net on New Year's eve.

I happened to have a brief personal exchange with Evander and he was nothing but decent to me but too many people want to believe all the sensational mud slinging going on and on about Kane and hence the results in this article

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
It's odd that Chevy gives Clitsome that contract after 50 games, but needs three and a half seasons to assess Pavelec.

In fairness it was 68 games that Lord Pavs played for the Jets before he jacked Chevy for the current contract as well. Hmmmmm do I detect a pattern.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Not everyone is going to be a Teemu Selanne, Kane is not the warm and Fuzzy type and who cares, being brash and cocky can be a positive trait in an athlete as far as I'm concerned.

And this selfishness b.s. :shakehead Kane wouldn've scored 20 goals this year had he not chosen to pass to Peluso on a sure empty net on New Year's eve.

I happened to have a brief personal exchange with Evander and he was nothing but decent to me but too many people want to believe all the sensational mud slinging going on and on about Kane and hence the results in this article

This.

So much this.

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg

Yeah, this is 100% true and I have been guilty of it myself.

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
From what I can tell, Clitsome's underlying numbers are actually fairly decent. IMHO he had a few bad games and gaffes this year which have taken root in our minds.

Yeah, I'm not going to pretend that my views match up perfectly with advanced stats. But I've seen Clitsome make very poor plays with the puck in the defensive zone too many times for me to be happy about having him on my team.

Ellerby I most likely give a pass for on some plays because I believe he has more upside than Clitsome.

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet

Haters gon' hate.

I liked Kane paired with Schiefele and Wheeler, at that point we had a legitimate 3 line system going, LLF were shut down / occassional scoring, KSW were snipers / speed, HJB were the beast line.

Personally I hope we keep Kane, Jokinen, Byfuglien, and Frolik. But find a better goalie :D Pavs can't steal us those crucial 1 goal games if we were on the other side of that stat we would be enjoying the Jets in playoff hockey right now.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Haters gon' hate.

I liked Kane paired with Schiefele and Wheeler, at that point we had a legitimate 3 line system going, LLF were shut down / occassional scoring, KSW were snipers / speed, HJB were the beast line.

Personally I hope we keep Kane, Jokinen, Byfuglien, and Frolik. But find a better goalie :D Pavs can't steal us those crucial 1 goal games if we were on the other side of that stat we would be enjoying the Jets in playoff hockey right now.

I think that the Jets should focus on three areas:

1) Upgrade goaltending (via free agency or perhaps a minor trade).

2) Add some forward depth via free agency and by signing Burmi, if possible.
3) Add a 2nd pairing LD via free agency, if possible.

At this point I think that the Jets should not make a blockbuster trade at the draft and instead keep Kane and Buff and make a push for the playoffs next year. If they are starting to fade, then trade Buff at the trade deadline. After next season, they can still look to move Buff when there is a greater likelihood that some of their prospects are ready to move up. If Kane isn't fitting in with Maurice as coach, then consider trading him.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com

Its not a couple bad gaffes from this year that are clouding our minds. Clitsome was ECHL terrible for the first 20 games in 2012-13, then surprisingly good for a 25 game stretch when Toby got hurt. For 2013-14, he reverted back to terrible. He's 29 years old and the only thing he's done that's remarkable in his professional hockey playing adult life is give the puck away in a circus fashion. On most teams with any semblance of decent left handed defensemen, he's in the AHL.

His underlying numbers are inflated by Byfuglien. When they aren't being inflated by Buff, its a textbook case of self doubt: "well, it sure looks like he sucks, and he's personally cost us quite a few games, but his Corsi is 2% above average, so maybe I'm wrong?".

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Who's this 1% who want to re-sign Setoguchi?!

There was someone who made that thread saying Setoguchi DESERVED to be re-signed.

I'm actually surprised by the Burmistrov results, I thought Winnipegers were more butthurt about him opting to play for his hometown for 1 year (or maybe more).

Whileee

May 29, 2010
There was someone who made that thread saying Setoguchi DESERVED to be re-signed.

I'm actually surprised by the Burmistrov results, I thought Winnipegers were more butthurt about him opting to play for his hometown for 1 year (or maybe more).

Somewhere Sipowicz is seething... :naughty:

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
The format for these Sun polls is terrible.

You can't cut hockey players as a start.

They literally just cut and pasted the Jets players/coaches/management names into the Bomber poll.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
The format for these Sun polls is terrible.

You can't cut hockey players as a start.

They literally just cut and pasted the Jets players/coaches/management names into the Bomber poll.

Yeah, also the "give him a raise" option didn't make sense for guys not soon becoming UFA or RFA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad