You are now GM.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
The Red Wings have missed the playoffs and will pick 12th overall.

You cannot make any trades that add salary above the current level and the team must compete for a playoff spot. (Ilitch rules) Additionally, no salary deferments/transfers and no outlandish, lopsided trades that no real GM would accept.

Go for it.

Personally, I go for a lineup of:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Abdelkader
Nyquist-Franzen-Brunner
Tatar-Helm-Cleary
Andersson-Emmerton-Miller

extra: Tootoo

Kronwall-Ericsson
DeKeyser-Kindl
Quincey-Smith

extra: Lashoff

Howard-Gustavsson

I think at best that's a lineup that will squeak into the playoffs, but I'm not convinced that the playoffs are going to be within this team's reach next year.

There are no trades to make because if you can't give up established roster players (because you wouldn't be a playoff team), and you can't give up prospects (because you'd ruin the rebuild), then you just have no assets to trade with. You have to give something to get something in return. I wouldn't be surprised if Holland's situation is similar to this.

Last edited:

Xvash2

Jul 8, 2010
Trade 1st(12th overall) + Mattias Backman + Tomas Jurco + Mrazek for first overall, draft Seth Jones and sign to ELC. Quite frankly our prospect pool is deep, and I would be perfectly happy moving Ouellet or Sproul along with Backman. Considering our entire defense core is in its prime, having 4 NHL-ready prospects in the coming years is unnecessary. Worst comes to worse, pray that Rasmus Ristolainen drops to 12 overall and we bring up Sproul to wherever I write "Jones."

Instant big, mobile, right-handed defenseman and future franchise #1 defender.

Move Lashoff, Colaco, Sammy, Bertuzzi, and Quincey for token picks, cut losses with them. Either this or one or two retire.

Don't re-sign Cleary or Eaves, re-sign Filppula to $4.750mil/year with bonuses for a potential of $5.5mil/year.

Assume I'm a free agency ***** and get no forwards:
Franzen-Datsyuk-Nyquist
Zetterberg-Filppula-Brunner (I hate this line, but if I can't get a big grinding forward in FA I settle)
Tootoo-Helm-Tatar
Abdelkader-Emmerton-Miller

(Andersson)

Kronwall-Ericsson
DeKeyser-Jones
Smith-Kindl

Howard-Gustavsson

However, suppose I can sign Nathan Horton for $6.5/5 years. (given contracts of Perry and Co., forwards will be a premium). Then I'd go for something like

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Horton
Filppula-Franzen-Tatar
Nyquist-Helm-Brunner
Abdelkader-Emmerton-Tootoo
(Andersson, Miller)

Kronwall-Ericsson
DeKeyser-Jones
Smith-Kindl

Howard-Gustavsson

I really like this lineup for several reasons. Horton is a big bodied-shooter and will open up space and create chances alongside D and Z. Tatar's speed will create some room for Franzen, and Fil's playmaking abilities can feed the puck from the wing. On the 3rd line we have playmaker extraordinaire Nyquist feeding pucks to Brunner with Helm and Nyquist using their speed to push defense back and open up the slot for Brunner. This is good because Brunner is wasted battling on the boards and Nyquist and Helm seem to excel in this area. We may also shelter Nyquist a bit, but he needs to prove himself here as well. The fourth line is a hodgepodge of players I don't really care for, but Tootoo is a reliable spark plug and with Abby and Emmerton getting better, they can be responsible in their own end and generate some chances as well.

Assuming reasonable prices for the rest of the players, this leaves about $1.2 million in cap space.

The ugly truth is we have to make some hard decisions about some players, specifically the ones I listed above as needing to retire, trade, or let go to FA. I just hope Holland has the guts to make them.

Edit:
Since I really like that 2nd lineup, here's me daydreaming about a lineup to fix our awful powerplay:
First unit: Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Horton Kronwall-Jones
Second Unit: Nyquist-Filppula-Brunner Smith-Kindl

The honest fix is that we need to make faster plays on the powerplay. We're too slow in the puck movement, and as a result the lanes close before we get a chance to exploit them. This results in the puck getting cycled back to the point and Kronwall shooting it into the defender's legs. With Lidstrom not here anymore we need a better approach.

Last edited:

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
Hey, just stopped by. Wondering why your team is lacking this year? Loss of lidstrom? From an outside pov, your teams biggest need is secondary scoring and a top pairing dman. Obviously a top pairing dman is hard to come by but someone like ristolainen could be that guy for Detroit. As for secondary scoring maybe clarkson or ribeiro in the offseason?

HTT3*

I think it would have to be something closer to 12th overall + Smith + Nyquist + one of Sproul/Tatar/Mrazek/Ouellet. Which is WAY too rich for my blood.

I don't think that package is going to get you the 1st overall pick either.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
We'll say you're coach too.

GHAS

I would start with re-signing Brunner and Flip,
Both short term contracts, 2 years each, Brunner so he can continue to prove he is a real NHL level offensive talent, and Flip to see if he can bring back that offensive flair when he is healthy. Would slightly overpay for each guy to make those short term contracts happen.

Then I would let every other UFA walk, bring back our 2 RFA forwards and 2 RFA defenseman.

Start by slotting players into their proper positions (not playing 4th liners on the 1st line because they are big):
Nyquist - Datsyuk - Franzen
Filppula - Zetterberg - Brunner
Tatar - Andersson - Bertuzzi/Samuelsson (they take turns being injured, whoever is healthy plays)
Abdelkader - Helm - Tootoo
spare: Emmerton, Eaves, Mursak

Probably mostly the same for D:
Kronwall - Ericsson
DeKeyser - Kindl
Quincey - Smith
Lashoff

Howard
Gustavsson

Those instructions are hard to make changes with, but I'd be focusing on trying Nyquist and Tatar out in scoring line roles quite often. See if they are legitimate top 6 guys or just middle 6 tweeners. I would test out the young D similarly. Would focus most of my efforts on coaching/ line juggling/ finding an identity that fits the personnel.

Probably another bubble year.

EDIT: you didn't mention free agency... what can I do with that?

Xvash2

Jul 8, 2010
I don't think that package is going to get you the 1st overall pick either.

Its not like Scott Howson has the pick again.

Edited my stuff, I think its realistic, but eh. Any GM would wouldn't move a 1st overall for a 12th overall, 2 NHL-close prospects, and an NHL-ready goaltender plus maybe an extra pick or two would be heavily questioned. A combination of bringing up NHL prospects into key positions and exporting some excess potential to slot in what we need is the best way to get back up into contention for first place in the Central. Of course that is contingent on Fil, Dats, Zets, and Franzen not playing the uninspired way they have this season.

Last edited:

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Abdelkader
Nyquist-Franzen-Brunner
Tatar-Helm-Cleary
Andersson-Emmerton-Miller

extra: Tootoo

Kronwall-Ericsson
DeKeyser-Kindl
Quincey-Smith

D looks fine.

Where did Bert, Tootoo, Eaves, Sammy go? They're still signed through next year at least. If we're going with a healthy Helm, I'd just as soon assume a healthy Bert/Sammy. I'd rather keep all of them than Cleary. I'd rather have Bert/Tootoo/Sammy in the top6 before Abby.

Does your scenario actually envision that we resign Cleary? I'm terrified.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Probably another bubble year.

If the team we're icing right now is a bubble team, the team you posted is at least solidly in the playoffs. A more solid defense, because Dekeyser is seriously better than half the guys we used regularly before he got here, and because Smith's had the benefit of a whole year in the NHL.

And the offense is a hell of a lot better. It's got 3 legitimate scoring threats and a pretty hyper fourth line. I bet the third line would take advantage of a lot of other teams.

Personally I'd shuffle around the wingers on the top 2 lines a little, but it's not a big deal.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
If the team we're icing right now is a bubble team, the team you posted is at least solidly in the playoffs. A more solid defense, because Dekeyser is seriously better than half the guys we used regularly before he got here, and because Smith's had the benefit of a whole year in the NHL.

And the offense is a hell of a lot better. It's got 3 legitimate scoring threats and a pretty hyper fourth line. I bet the third line would take advantage of a lot of other teams.

Personally I'd shuffle around the wingers on the top 2 lines a little, but it's not a big deal.

I probably would too, but this would be the first thing I try.

edit: big change would be PP set up, main change is attempting to turn Stamkos' hotspot into Brunners', therefore taking him off the point and letting one of our other Dmen play there.

Jul 30, 2005
D looks fine.

Where did Bert, Tootoo, Eaves, Sammy go? They're still signed through next year at least. If we're going with a healthy Helm, I'd just as soon assume a healthy Bert/Sammy. I'd rather keep all of them than Cleary. I'd rather have Bert/Tootoo/Sammy in the top6 before Abby.

Does your scenario actually envision that we resign Cleary? I'm terrified.
I was trying to minimize changes. In a perfect world, we pick up somebody like Clarkson to play that Cleary role with a bit of an edge.

I'd start off attempting to trade Bert/Eaves/Sammy, going down the list to waivers and then potentially buyouts. I don't really think those guys make the lineup demonstrably better. The difficult part would probably be the pricetag associated with the buyouts, considering the Wings are rumored to be on a bit of a budget.

GT500x

Im OK where we're at
Jun 15, 2008
My comfort zone

That's assuming the other bubble teams don't greatly improve themselves this summer, of course.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I'd look for another job because if I'm GM I have to be able to run the team as I see fit not based on arbitrary ownership rules (that kind of ownership meddling ruins franchises).

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
next season:

Nyquist-Datsyuk-Brunner
Tatar-Zetterberg-Mule
Tootoo-Jarnkrok-Betuzzi
Abdelkader-Helm-Mursak
Eaves, Sammy, Emmerton are gone.
Miller, Andersson extra forward.

Kronwall-Big Rig
Kindl-The Kaiser
Smith-Quincey

Howard

I'd be aggressive trying to make moves and signings, but those things aren't guaranteed. So, otherwise, this is what it looks like for me

Last edited:

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
Trade the rights of Cleary, Miller, White, and Mursak for whatever they can get. Probably 5th-7th rounders.
Trade Colaiacovo, Gustavsson, and Samuelsson to Calgary for Jiri Hudler, plus maybe a pick.
Re-sign Damien Brunner at $2.5m/3yr
Re-sign Valtteri Filppula at $4.5m/5yr
Re-sign Gustav Nyquist at $1.25m/3yr
Re-sign Jakub Kindl at $2m/4yr
Re-sign Brendan Smith at $1.5m/3yr
Sign Stephen Weiss for $5m
Trade Patrick Eaves for 4th round pick

FORWARDS
Gustav Nyquist ($1.250m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Jiri Hudler ($4.000m)
Valtteri Filppula ($4.500m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Damien Brunner ($2.500m)
Tomas Tatar ($0.840m) / Stephen Weiss ($5.000m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)
Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)
Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) / Joakim Andersson ($0.675m)
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)
Jakub Kindl ($2.000m) / Danny DeKeyser ($1.350m)
Brendan Smith ($1.500m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.775m)
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
Peter Mrazek ($0.790m) or Jared Coreau ($0.793m)

LTIR
Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)
------
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,100,379 or $65,295,379 or 65,295,379; BONUSES: $1,205,000 or $1,010,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $209,621 or $14,621

I figure Coreau gets work in as Howard's backup, maybe work Mrazek in a few games as well (or alternatively, use Mrazek as a 25-30 game backup and put Coreau in Grand Rapids; they make almost the same salary but Mrazek has almost $200k of bonuses while Coreau has zip.).

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
if i were the GM under those exact parameters then I would quit as cleary you are being forced to fail

no use of the league approved buyouts is akin to not using your draft picks as both are free tools to make your club better

not taking on any new salary means we are content not to add any real hockey players, or, is it we're under the assumption none of our current RFAs and UFA's will want a raise?

Jul 30, 2005
if i were the GM under those exact parameters then I would quit as cleary you are being forced to fail

no use of the league approved buyouts is akin to not using your draft picks as both are free tools to make your club better

not taking on any new salary means we are content not to add any real hockey players, or, is it we're under the assumption none of our current RFAs and UFA's will want a raise?
Maybe I wasn't clear, but buyouts are just fine in this situation. The only stuff I want to avoid would be outlandish trades (Crosby for Filppula and a 2nd) or ridiculous transfers (Ovechkin to Detroit and Washington eats his entire salary).

Likewise, by "new salary" I meant additional salary. So, for example, the Wings are spending 62.8 mil right now, and the rule would be that you cannot spend more than that amount. The idea behind that rule (and the one about making the playoffs) is to try to get a feel for how Holland's job actually is now that Ilitch is focused on the Tigers.

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
When the team is not contending there is no reason at all keeping young players out of the lineup. Sammy, Cleary, Coliacovo and Bertuzzi are gone next season in my lineup replaced by Andersson, Tatar, Nyquist and Järnkrok.

Filppula is not resigned

Jul 30, 2005
Isn't anyone going to use the 2 buy-outs?

And what do you mean you can't make trades that add salary? If you have capspace then whats the problem?
The idea is to reflect the rumor that Ilitch is hesitant to spend money on the non-contending Wings because he would prefer to dump it all into the Tigers. World Series before he dies and all of that.

That said, this little game is for next season and so there wouldn't be much extra space anyway. We're talking about roughly 63 million for a 64.3 million cap next season.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Maybe I wasn't clear, but buyouts are just fine in this situation. The only stuff I want to avoid would be outlandish trades (Crosby for Filppula and a 2nd) or ridiculous transfers (Ovechkin to Detroit and Washington eats his entire salary).

Likewise, by "new salary" I meant additional salary. So, for example, the Wings are spending 62.8 mil right now, and the rule would be that you cannot spend more than that amount. The idea behind that rule (and the one about making the playoffs) is to try to get a feel for how Holland's job actually is now that Ilitch is focused on the Tigers.

ok now i get and this game is much better now that I understand it all

Aug 6, 2012
Trade the rights of Cleary, Miller, White, and Mursak for whatever they can get. Probably 5th-7th rounders.
Trade Colaiacovo, Gustavsson, and Samuelsson to Calgary for Jiri Hudler, plus maybe a pick.
Re-sign Damien Brunner at $2.5m/3yr
Re-sign Valtteri Filppula at $4.5m/5yr
Re-sign Gustav Nyquist at $1.25m/3yr
Re-sign Jakub Kindl at $2m/4yr
Re-sign Brendan Smith at $1.5m/3yr
Sign Stephen Weiss for $5m
Trade Patrick Eaves for 4th round pick

FORWARDS
Gustav Nyquist ($1.250m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Jiri Hudler ($4.000m)
Valtteri Filppula ($4.500m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Damien Brunner ($2.500m)
Tomas Tatar ($0.840m) / Stephen Weiss ($5.000m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)
Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)
Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) / Joakim Andersson ($0.675m)
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)
Jakub Kindl ($2.000m) / Danny DeKeyser ($1.350m)
Brendan Smith ($1.500m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.775m)
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
Peter Mrazek ($0.790m) or Jared Coreau ($0.793m)

LTIR
Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)
------
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,100,379 or $65,295,379 or 65,295,379; BONUSES: $1,205,000 or $1,010,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $209,621 or $14,621

I figure Coreau gets work in as Howard's backup, maybe work Mrazek in a few games as well (or alternatively, use Mrazek as a 25-30 game backup and put Coreau in Grand Rapids; they make almost the same salary but Mrazek has almost $200k of bonuses while Coreau has zip.).

:huh:

You obviously value Jiri pretty high yet you think that package would be enough? Most teams wouldn't take that package for a pick just because of the contracts.

And I don't think teams are going to trade for the signing rights to Cleary, Miller or Mursak. Maybe White if they're desperate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad