NHL Entry Draft: Yoteshot's Tentative Mock 2015

yoteshot

Lazy Habs fan
Aug 6, 2005
Gatineau / Ottawa
Alright, so it's a little early for me to come out with my yearly mock draft, but I figured that before the combine and Bobby Mac's rankings, which could affect some players, I'd test the pulse of the community for my mock, let's call it V1.0 :popcorn:

This versions won't have write-ups, only the final one will, but I'd be interested to see if any picks are agreed with or on the contrary if I'll get some "NO WAY IN HELL MY TEAM PICKS THIS GUY!" (with reasoning, please :laugh: )

So here I go:

1-Edmonton : Connor McDavid
2-Buffalo : Jack Eichel
3-Arizona : Dylan Strome
4-Toronto : Mitch Marner
5-Carolina : Noah Hanifin
6-New Jersey : Pavel Zacha
7-Philadelphia : Ivan Provorov
8-Columbus : Zack Werenski
9-San Jose : Mikko Rantanen
10-Colorado : Lawson Crouse
11-Florida : Kyle Connor
12-Dallas : Matt Barzal
13-LA : Travis Konecny
14-Boston : Timo Meier
15-Calgary : Nick Merkley
16-Edmonton (PIT) : Noah Juulsen
17-Winnipeg : Evgeni Svechnikov
18-Ottawa : Thomas Chabot
19-Detroit : Jeremy Roy
20-Minnesota : Joel Eriksson-Ek
21-Buffalo (NYI) : Brock Boeser
22-Washington : Jakub Zboril
23-Vancouver : Nicolas Meloche (or Brandon Carlo?)
24-Toronto (NSH) : Colin White
25-Winnipeg (STL) : Travis Dermott
26-Montreal : Christian Fischer
27-Anaheim : Jack Roslovic
28-Tampa Bay (NYR) : Denis Guryanov
29-Philadelphia (TB) : Jake DeBrusk
30-Arizona (CHI) : Vince Dunn

Thanks for the comments! :)

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Sucks for Philly, but I think they will be picking a D in Provorov, Werenski or the C/RW in Barzal, all positions they are strong in. It's the BPA though. Makes me wonder if they are willing to trade down a few spots.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Love it for Dallas. Barzal is a dream at 12.

LG18

May 10, 2013
Montreal
Pretty surprized by your Montreal pick. I wonder what's the reasoning behind it? (Note that I don't mean that in a disrespectful way)

yoteshot

Lazy Habs fan
Aug 6, 2005
Gatineau / Ottawa
Pretty surprized by your Montreal pick. I wonder what's the reasoning behind it? (Note that I don't mean that in a disrespectful way)

Reminds me a lot of Pacioretty (in his draft year), with maybe a little less speed but more edge to his game. Can also play C/RW it seems.

Had a DeBrusk in there before, but I see Fischer as a riser and really feel he could be a Timmins' pick. If none of the mid-range Ds are there when we pick (because I would like Juulsen, Roy, Zboril and Chabot for sure), I think Fischer is as good a pick we could make at that point (I also like Guryanov, but don't see MTL picking him)

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Sens take Kylington over Chabot.. Swedish defender who hasn't fallen off as much as people think.. I've watched Chabot numerous times.. he's nothing special IMO, of course i'm no scout but there are probably 20-25 guys i would take over him in this draft, Kylington being one.

Sens will mold Kylington into a Karlsson Lite

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
i have the feeling that Arizona might take Marner at #3 to go with their other high scoring London Knight picks, Christian Dvorak and Max Domi. if that happens, i could see the Leafs taking Strome and Carolina getting what they apparently need....a top d-man in Hanifin.

and i think once you get to the Flames pick at #15, almost anyone can go at that spot because there seems to be varying opinions about the bottom 15. having said that, i don't think Meloche, Roslovic, Fischer, Dermott or Dunn go in the 1st round, especially with a guy like Jansen Harkins still there, he'll go in the 1st for sure! and i have a feeling that Bittner will too, as will Brandon Carlo and perhaps Daniel Sprong and Kylington.

Anardil

Nov 25, 2012
West of Chalet BBQ
Reminds me a lot of Pacioretty (in his draft year), with maybe a little less speed but more edge to his game. Can also play C/RW it seems.

Had a DeBrusk in there before, but I see Fischer as a riser and really feel he could be a Timmins' pick. If none of the mid-range Ds are there when we pick (because I would like Juulsen, Roy, Zboril and Chabot for sure), I think Fischer is as good a pick we could make at that point (I also like Guryanov, but don't see MTL picking him)

I'm also surprised by your choice of the Habs pick. It could happen, since Timmins has shown no reluctance in picking players that could be considered as projects. But if I look at who is available using your mock, I would prefer either Debrusk or Guryanov.

yoteshot

Lazy Habs fan
Aug 6, 2005
Gatineau / Ottawa
i have the feeling that Arizona might take Marner at #3 to go with their other high scoring London Knight picks, Christian Dvorak and Max Domi. if that happens, i could see the Leafs taking Strome and Carolina getting what they apparently need....a top d-man in Hanifin.

and i think once you get to the Flames pick at #15, almost anyone can go at that spot because there seems to be varying opinions about the bottom 15. having said that, i don't think Meloche, Roslovic, Fischer, Dermott or Dunn go in the 1st round, especially with a guy like Jansen Harkins still there, he'll go in the 1st for sure! and i have a feeling that Bittner will too, as will Brandon Carlo and perhaps Daniel Sprong and Kylington.

I might have Harkins in there in a later version as I read more on him, but I don't think it's out of the question any of the guys I put there goes in the first. Every year, there are surprises. I remember 2013 and few people had Poirier, Dano, Klimchuk or Dickinson in the first

yoteshot

Lazy Habs fan
Aug 6, 2005
Gatineau / Ottawa
Zacha at 6? Haven't seen that one before, interesting.

Yeah, I'm not his biggest fan, but I don't see Barzal a top line forward, nor do I think Rantanen and Crouse can be a leading forward on a good team. Zacha has that potential and I feel the Devils need that.

Sundinisagod said:
Love it for the Leafs, Colin White is highly coveted by me for our second 1st rounder.

I thought he was the kind of player Toronto would love at that point, especially over a Carlo type of D-man. What about Kylington?

Mind

Mar 5, 2015
Fisher (the name) sounds very bad for MTL.

Just some bad memories :(

In it to win it

May 16, 2015
I don't think Florida takes a centre here with their depth at that position (Barkov, Bjugstad, Trocheck). If Connor plays the wing, they could take him but I see him more as a centre. I believe that Timo Meier gets selected by Florida.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
I like Boeser a lot but I think the Sabres would opt for Zboril over him in this particular draft.

yoteshot

Lazy Habs fan
Aug 6, 2005
Gatineau / Ottawa
Juulsen is a big time riser whereas Roy has fallen a off a bit lately. I think they both go around the same spot as the 2 top RHD available. I honestly flipped a coin between the two, but wouldn't be surprised at all if Juulsen went before Roy.

I like Boeser a lot but I think the Sabres would opt for Zboril over him in this particular draft.

I hesitated a lot with that pick. Seems to me that in the last few years I kept thinking the Sabres would draft D-men and they kept going with forwards

In it to win it said:
I don't think Florida takes a centre here with their depth at that position (Barkov, Bjugstad, Trocheck). If Connor plays the wing, they could take him but I see him more as a centre. I believe that Timo Meier gets selected by Florida.

I like Connor a lot. In fact, I had him at #6 (Devils) in my first attempt, but decided to change it. He is one of my favourite players in the whole draft and can indeed play wing. I know the Panthers have some great centers already, but I just can't see Connor staying on board much longer.

Last edited:

In it to win it

May 16, 2015
I like Connor a lot. In fact, I had him at #6 (Devils) in my first attempt, but decided to change it. He is one of my favourite players in the whole draft and can indeed play wing. I know the Panthers have some great centers already, but I just can't see Connor staying on board much longer.[/QUOTE]

I fully understand. Connor is very good player.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
I would be happy with any one of Chabot/Zboril/Boeser to Ottawa at 18 if Konency is gone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad