GDT: Yotes @ Avs: *If Hockey Were Golf, We'd Suck* 9P ET / 7P MT

What is Your Best Golf Round?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
It's kind of funny that now that we actually lost to a bad team with an average to lackluster performance, people around here are realizing what some of us have been saying for a month, our play really hasn't been all that great, and winning can mask issues.

I was told to chill and that we are winning what else do I want, etc.

Well tonight was a perfect example of what I want, which is consistent effort no matter the opponent. I mean literally we didn't even bother to show up in 1st period it looked like we could give 2 shits out there. Tried to turn it up for period 2 and 3, their goalie played well and we couldn't get enough going to get the win. If we play the whole game hard, we probably get a different result.

Playing down to our opponents level plagues this team, we do it consistently. If we are playing a bad team, our effort typically stinks, and we try all star game shit until we get chewed by Bednar at an intermission and it gets a little better and we do just enough to win. We play a good team and we typically play hard from the start and the results show.

60 minute efforts and bone headed decisions are going to be the downfall of this team. Unless they tighten up their play in the 2nd half of the year so they start to train themselves on the right way to play going into the playoffs.

I've said it before wins and losses in the regular season don't bother me at this point, playing the right way, and creating good habits for the playoffs does matter to me.

Can I keep telling you to chill? Lost a point in a mid-season game. Yeah they aren't in what you'd hope is Stanley Cup Finals form, but I really don't want that right now either. No team in NHL history plays top form hockey all regular season and playoffs long. I don't get why its so hard for average fans to understand this. Most people have jobs right? In their jobs, do they perform at their absolute best every hour of every day at work?

Worry about "bad habits" if you want to call it that in April and May. The Avs are just rolling through the grind and doing what is needed to be at or near the top of the league in the season. Frankly I wish they had some more rough patches and used more options like more games with Eagles players to get through this part of the season to make sure they are even better prepared, but whatever its how they want to proceed.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
You do realize that effort isn't just physical, right? We have played tons of games, they probably are getting tired physically and beat up. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't be mentally prepared to play the right way.

Too often in the last 30 days I've seen the team just not mentally be there. Take last night's first period. Not only were they sluggish, they just weren't making the right plays mentally. For example the Arizona player who was wide open 3 ft from Keumper, like no within 10 ft of him. Luckily he didn't score but how the hell did that happen. 2 terrible penalities that we were just lazy. Not executing on extended 5v3 and 4v3 PPs. Honestly they didn't even generate many good chances on either PP. This game is just one example of not being mentally prepared. I mean we had a game, I think Montreal, that we won, that we gave up like 10+ odd man rushes. That's just not good, even though we won.

Every team has bad games and takes losses that they shouldn't. That's just sports. When you see consistent trends that are coming up every game that's what is concerning.

In the last 30 days, Colorado is 15-0-2 while averaging 4.00 GF/game and 2.24 GAA.

You probably should've saved your spiel for a better time rather than after a shootout loss.

Reactions: Nihiliste and Bront

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Avs players would be inhuman if there wasn't a little bit of complacency setting in and you can tell at least Makar/Toews are a bit overplayed at the moment.

If they play good enough to win even when going through the motions they'll be fine down the stretch.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Avs players would be inhuman if there wasn't a little bit of complacency setting in and you can tell at least Makar/Toews are a bit overplayed at the moment.

If they play good enough to win even when going through the motions they'll be fine down the stretch.

Yup. Much needed break coming up. We've played just a ridiculous number of games in January.

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
How I picture Chet
Tweek-churchwear.png

JudoKoala

The Ghost of Joe Sacco
Aug 10, 2020
Toronto
I'm tired of seeing people making excuses for weeks' worth of bad habits, making excuses for a team that has been outright lucky to collect wins given how limp-dicked they've been against the likes of such titans as Chicago, Montreal, and Arizona. Yes, lucky, I know nobody wants to hear it, but they simply have not played nearly as well as their January record reflects. Continually failing to close out games in regulation, hardly ever giving a 60-minute effort, turnover after turnover after turnover, a complete inability to clear a f***ing puck out of the f***ing zone for f***ing once. This is why the Avalanche culture is one of perennial underperforming -- sweeping all the continual bad habits under the rug while egotistically cooing, "It'll be alright, we're the best, these things just happen!" Absolute soft-ass loser talk, the type that screams yet another 2nd round exit. Enjoy the break, see y'all.

Reactions: The Moops

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
You do realize that effort isn't just physical, right? We have played tons of games, they probably are getting tired physically and beat up. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't be mentally prepared to play the right way.

Too often in the last 30 days I've seen the team just not mentally be there. Take last night's first period. Not only were they sluggish, they just weren't making the right plays mentally. For example the Arizona player who was wide open 3 ft from Keumper, like no within 10 ft of him. Luckily he didn't score but how the hell did that happen. 2 terrible penalities that we were just lazy. Not executing on extended 5v3 and 4v3 PPs. Honestly they didn't even generate many good chances on either PP. This game is just one example of not being mentally prepared. I mean we had a game, I think Montreal, that we won, that we gave up like 10+ odd man rushes. That's just not good, even though we won.

Every team has bad games and takes losses that they shouldn't. That's just sports. When you see consistent trends that are coming up every game that's what is concerning.
You know chet...you sounds like you have never done anything exhausting in your life. I can just see you sitting in your comfy chair and yelling at the TV: "Work harder you bunch of lazy piece of s*&t".
This post of yours proves my point that you just don't get it....and that I am wasting my time.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
You know chet...you sounds like you have never done anything exhausting in your life. I can just see you sitting in your comfy chair and yelling at the TV: "Work harder you bunch of lazy piece of s*&t".
This post of yours proves my point that you just don't get it....and that I am wasting my time.
Got to love the personal attacks... You literally no nothing about me but assume I'm a lazy piece of shit. Got it.

I've been part of the work force since I was 16, now in my mid 30s. I've worked hard physical labor jobs and desk jobs. Both can suck, and I fully understand fatigue of all types.

I'm guessing you've never worked a 60+ hour work week, since a lot people haven't, where you were forced to sleep in your office because you didn't have enough time to go home. Well I have, it's not fun and I sure as shit was tired mentally and physically. But I still managed to give my best effort I could every day.

That's just how I was raised. When you are at work, show up on time, act professionally, and make sure you give the correct effort to perform your tasks the best you can.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Got to love the personal attacks... You literally no nothing about me but assume I'm a lazy piece of shit. Got it.

I've been part of the work force since I was 16, now in my mid 30s. I've worked hard physical labor jobs and desk jobs. Both can suck, and I fully understand fatigue of all types.

I'm guessing you've never worked a 60+ hour work week, since a lot people haven't, where you were forced to sleep in your office because you didn't have enough time to go home. Well I have, it's not fun and I sure as shit was tired mentally and physically. But I still managed to give my best effort I could every day.

That's just how I was raised. When you are at work, show up on time, act professionally, and make sure you give the correct effort to perform your tasks the best you can.
I usually work 12hrs/day 6 days/week. Sometimes I need to be on rotation of 21 days on / four days off. Those really suck. But try again. For the record I never said you were lazy. I said "you sound like..." Big difference.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016

If this is what you expect out of life I'm shocked for entertainment you watch professional sports. Something you have zero control over and will constantly feel like someone didn't work as hard as you will.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I usually work 12hrs/day 6 days/week. Sometimes I need to be on rotation of 21 days on / four days off. Those really suck. But try again. For the record I never said you were lazy. I said "you sound like..." Big difference.
I'm not trying to start a who works harder argument with you. Glad you work. Sounds like a shitty schedule. I worked a 3 on 1 off, 10-12 hour shifts schedule at one point for about 2 years. It sucked.

Let's just move on from this, clearly we have different opinions about the teams play right now. And that's totally ok. We're never going to agree on this. No sense in going back and forth bickering about totally irrelevant stuff, not related to hockey.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I'm not trying to start a who works harder argument with you. Glad you work. Sounds like a shitty schedule. I worked a 3 on 1 off, 10-12 hour shifts schedule at one point for about 2 years. It sucked.

Let's just move on from this, clearly we have different opinions about the teams play right now. And that's totally ok. We're never going to agree on this. No sense in going back and forth bickering about totally irrelevant stuff, not related to hockey.
I wasn't trying to start anything as well. It's just that you said you guessed I never worked more than 60 hours a week so I was just showing I have and quite a bit. No worries. And I agree to disagree on your take on the team.

Reactions: chet1926

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
Three things regarding last nights SO loss (we still got a point):

1- Give Galchenyuk 100 chances at that shot and he scores once: 5-hole on his teammate and into the net past a fully screened Kuemper. Pure luck.

2- What is our record when Newhook is out of the lineup? When it was announced early in the game that he was out sick, concern crept in.

3- I noticed that Sikura was in the top 6 , meaning Bednar did not trust either JTC or Jost for that role.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Three things regarding last nights SO loss (we still got a point):

1- Give Galchenyuk 100 chances at that shot and he scores once: 5-hole on his teammate and into the net past a fully screened Kuemper. Pure luck.

2- What is our record when Newhook is out of the lineup? When it was announced early in the game that he was out sick, concern crept in.

3- I noticed that Sikura was in the top 6 , meaning Bednar did not trust either JTC or Jost for that role.

4. Every goal scored on Kuemper came via the back hand.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Avs have time to clean things up, but we all know they’ve been playing with fire. Crap like the 5v3s are maddening. Some ugly memories of 18-19 Tampa are cropping up… but the Avs have time to clean up their act and the West is fairly weak.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
There's little to nothing positive to be said about the game itself, but this is the NHL. Even a bad NHL team is still very good, this isn't football where you can schedule wins and losses. Arizona battled like they were in a game 7 and barely squeaked out a shootout win. That's hardly reason to be panicking halfway through the season.

Take the loss, dump it, and move on to the tough February schedule. The only thing that sucks is the loss of the phenomenal home winning streak, I couldn't care less about an OT loss midway through the regular season.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Avs have time to clean things up, but we all know they’ve been playing with fire. Crap like the 5v3s are maddening. Some ugly memories of 18-19 Tampa are cropping up… but the Avs have time to clean up their act and the West is fairly weak.

Avs have been relying almost exclusively on talent (with low effort) to win the last 10+ games. You can't do that in the playoffs and that's a fact.

Reactions: Spleenless Wonder21

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006

Something I wish JTC would do

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad