News Article: Yost: Chabot shines, but the Sens still have work to do

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Chabot shines, but the Sens still have work to do - TSN.ca

From the article:
When a team is 13-20-3, you have to squint to find the positives. That’s the case for the Ottawa Senators right now, who find themselves in the familiar position of looking up at the rest of the Eastern Conference, save for the Montreal Canadiens.
But there is reason to be optimistic about elements of this Senators roster. Surely the influx of young talent (talent that’s still arriving, mind you) is great. But at some point, you need that young talent to show progress. You need to start winning games. You need to develop confidence that the players who make up your core can deliver wins.

Dear Travis, here is a list of some of the teams we have beat this year. Would this not count as "progress"?
  • Colorado (1st in Standings)
  • Florida (2nd in Standings, beat 8-2)
  • Tampa Bay (3rd in Standings, beat 4-0)
  • Carolina (6th in Standings)
  • Toronto (8th in Standings)
  • Pittsburgh
  • Edmonton
  • Calgary
We're also 9-6-2 since December 2nd (Edit 9-5-3)

Last edited:
Reactions: aragorn

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I found the article interesting. Chabot has played better this year and it is starting to show in the stats Yost used.

Plus Yost is correct in saying the roster needs improvement. More talent is required. We need another top 6 player, probably a RW.

We also need to improve the defencemen; help is coming in Sanderson, JBD, Thomson and Brannstrom. The bottom 6 or 4th line needs improvement too.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I found the article interesting. Chabot has played better this year and it is starting to show in the stats Yost used.

Plus Yost is correct in saying the roster needs improvement. More talent is required. We need another top 6 player, probably a RW.

We also need to improve the defencemen; help is coming in Sanderson, JBD, Thomson and Brannstrom. The bottom 6 or 4th line needs improvement too.
I’d really like our bottom 6 if healthy and slotted properly.

Paul Pinto Brown
Gaudette/Sanford Gambrell Watson

That’s extremely solid.

Reactions: Cosmix

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Yost thought Weircioch was NHL calibre.

He's a stat guy, if he's talking about anything else, he's out of his depth.

Yeah we suck. We know.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

What did you think of Sokolov tonight? IMO he is getting closer & his skating is not that big an issue, I could see him replace Sanford in the lineup for next season. He's another big guy who can play that heavy forecheck game & puck possession & he's skillful enough to pot a few goals.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
We're also 9-6-2 since December 1st.

That's the point I wanted to make. Sens are since December 2nd :

9-5-3, 0.618 P% which is 15th OA in the league, 56 GF (3.29 GF/GP) 48 GA (2.82 GA/GP)

We have missed Shane Pinto, Colin White and Angus Crookshank all season. Now Connor Brown, Drake Batherson and Josh Norris are also injured. Plus there was covid in November and all kinds of sickness/injuries to pretty much every player

Not trying to make excuses and people know that I can be critical as well, I am more a "gotta call a spade a spade" type.

Dear Travis :

Drake Batherson (23 y/o) : 13 goals, 34 pts in 31 GP
Tim Stutzle (just turned 20 y/o) : 6 goals, 12 pts in his last 15 GP
Brady Tkachuk (22 y/o) : 12 goals, 27 pts in 34 GP, brings a lot to the table
Josh Norris (22 y/o) : 18 goals in 36 GP
Alex Formenton (22 y/o) : 7 goals, 16 pts in his last 17 GP
Thomas Chabot (24 y/o) : #1 D-man since 2018-19

Shane Pinto would be in there but injured all season. I strongly believe Crookshank would have made a name for himself too

Many other young guys have started "arriving" : Brannstrom, Thomson, JBD, Sokolov, Gustavsson...

Artem Zub (26 y/o), Nick Paul (26 y/o) and Connor Brown (just turned 28 y/o) are also good young vets

That being said, there's many issues that needs to be addressed. We don't know why it takes so long every season for the coaching staff to instill some kind of NHL defensive structure... and we also will have to spend more money and provide more depth to the roster.

I’d really like our bottom 6 if healthy and slotted properly.

Paul Pinto Brown

That’s extremely solid.

Formenton - Pinto - Brown
Crookshank - Paul - Gaudette

>>>>>

Paul Pinto Brown

Last edited:

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
What did you think of Sokolov tonight? IMO he is getting closer & his skating is not that big an issue, I could see him replace Sanford in the lineup for next season. He's another big guy who can play that heavy forecheck game & puck possession & he's skillful enough to pot a few goals.

Poor guy ended up with a -2, but that being said, as DJ alluded to in the post-game media availability, Sokolov came in cold with zero practice with the team. He will "get more reps" after he practices more with the team as per DJ.

Sokolov's bread and butter is offence, and he looked to be able to keep pace against a fast Canes team. He showed how dangerous he can be when he almost scored alone on Anderson (and had another that missed the net following a spin-around shot). Would love to see him on the PP1 next with Norris and Bath gone for now, I think the offence will come in a minute.

I am encouraged by his game. He was mucking it up and dangerous behind the net, using his size well.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Of all things to critique the team about, "young talent not progressing" is the last thing on this earth to talk about.

Tell me you don't watch the sens without telling me you don't watch the Sens..

Which young talent isn't "showing progress"?

Chabot is an elite #1 Dman.
Norris is proving to be a goal scoring top 2 center in the league.
Batherson was on pace of being a PPG elite winger
Tkachuk is Tkachuk
Stutzle is on the verge of stardom
Thomson and JBD are progressing as quickly as any former late 1st round Dmen are.
Formenton is on pace for 45 points as his first full season.
Pinto had flashes of being a special player before he got hurt.
Sanderson is considered the best D prospect in the league and is producing at Makar levels
Greig is ripping up the WHL
Jarventie and Sokolov are the top scorers in their AHL team.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Meh. Yost goes totally (my impression) by what statistics are supposedly telling him. There is some good info from him and those stats (even in this article).

But, as per always, things are more complicated in life and other things need to be taken into consideration. No idea if he knows hockey, or that much about it, or the extent of his knowledge. Maybe he writes what he does because that's his job and this is the job that was given to him. We don't know.

Sometimes you just got to take things into consideration and take into account perspective. You can't get too worried or worked up about stuff like this -> one article from one person. No big wup.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Earlier in the game I thought he was a little behind the play, and his passes weren't finding their marks. But, in the 3rd period I thought he was playing well. He and the line he was on were hemming the Canes in to their own zone. They forechecked, muddied things up, and had a lot of time in the Canes zone who were unable to exit. Like a lot of Ottawa's young players, I haven't seen him play all that much, so it will take some time to get a good impression of him. And, I expect him to develop and grow as he gets more ice time and gains more experience.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Chabot shines, but the Sens still have work to do - TSN.ca

From the article:

Dear Travis, here is a list of some of the teams we have beat this year. Would this not count as "progress"?
  • Colorado (1st in Standings)
  • Florida (2nd in Standings, beat 8-2)
  • Tampa Bay (3rd in Standings, beat 4-0)
  • Carolina (6th in Standings)
  • Toronto (8th in Standings)
  • Minnesota (11th in Standings)
  • Edmonton
  • Calgary
We're also 9-6-2 since December 1st.
its also dangerous to take a lot from meaningless games

this team has not show they can play well when the pressure is on. Unfortunately we won't know that till next year now

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
its also dangerous to take a lot from meaningless games

this team has not show they can play well when the pressure is on. Unfortunately we won't know that till next year now
They're not meaningless to the teams we're beating.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Soooo this team has one good, to very good, pairing and a two other pairings that are mediocre at best? THAT'S the article???

I didn't need stats genius T. Yost to tell me that. What was all that nonsense about young players developing? I bet if he had dug a little deeper he would have seen that the drag on the other pairing was not the young players but rather Zaitsev, Brown and Mete (I know he's young but everyone knows he's a stopgap).

Yost can't right, even though his stats analyses can be insightful. In this case they were not.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Of all things to critique the team about, "young talent not progressing" is the last thing on this earth to talk about.

Tell me you don't watch the sens without telling me you don't watch the Sens..

Which young talent isn't "showing progress"?

Chabot is an elite #1 Dman.
Norris is proving to be a goal scoring top 2 center in the league.
Batherson was on pace of being a PPG elite winger
Tkachuk is Tkachuk
Stutzle is on the verge of stardom
Thomson and JBD are progressing as quickly as any former late 1st round Dmen are.
Formenton is on pace for 45 points as his first full season.
Pinto had flashes of being a special player before he got hurt.
Sanderson is considered the best D prospect in the league and is producing at Makar levels
Greig is ripping up the WHL
Jarventie and Sokolov are the top scorers in their AHL team.

Kinda weird lol, young talent is THE bright spot in the Sens organization, with the THE written in gigantic letters.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
They're not meaningless to the teams we're beating.
I mean a lot of teams that we have beat have also payed their backups against us

Meaningless for us is probably a bigger concern though this early in the season

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Meh. Yost goes totally (my impression) by what statistics are supposedly telling him. There is some good info from him and those stats (even in this article).

But, as per always, things are more complicated in life and other things need to be taken into consideration. No idea if he knows hockey, or that much about it, or the extent of his knowledge. Maybe he writes what he does because that's his job and this is the job that was given to him. We don't know.

Sometimes you just got to take things into consideration and take into account perspective. You can't get too worried or worked up about stuff like this -> one article from one person. No big wup.
Stats = Tea Leafs < the bigger picture

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad