OT: Yonge and Dundas, Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I work around Yonge and Dundas. This morning Elm St. (2 blocks North) is blocked by police because of an investigation. There are markers scattered all over the sidewalk representing shell casings. Some windows on Yonge St. are shattered because of bullets hitting them.

I've worked in this area for 15 years and these crime scenes are now common. The truth is that Yonge and Dundas has the most incidents of crime in the city.

I just want people who are tourists or unfamiliar with the city to know that Yonge and Dundas is not safe now. It's just not shootings either. There are safe injection sites that also (sadly) bring a criminal element.

When they revitalized the area 20-25 years ago they decided to put efforts into making it a more attractive area to shop/attract business. Instead of making Yonge + Dundas Sq a park (trees and grass), they made it a concrete eye sore with the biggest billboards for advertising in the city.

I really wish I could paint a more positive picture, but it is getting to be disheartening now.

If you are a tourist please do some research. There are many wonderful places to visit in Tor. If you really need to shop there are other malls and safer places to be. I really cannot recommend you visit Yonge and Dundas on your next trip to Toronto.

I don't just do this because I think Hockey Forum people need to be aware. We are contacting police and the Yonge and Dundas BIA all the time with our concerns.

Honestly, TOR is a good city, but this part of Toronto is not good. There is no way you could call it a safe place to visit.

Thanks for reading.

PS - I forgot to mention the used syringes I had to step around this morning when I was coming to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad