Yohe: Penguins "intend" to sign Plotnikov

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
i dunno just how good this guy will be in the NHL, he's ranked like 49th in the KHL amongst forwards for points.

Makes him a top 6 forward over there no doubt. But I can't remember the last guy who was strictly a KHL player that came over to the NHL and tore it up.

Granted we'd be happy with just legit and competent for our top 6 wingers, but just saying it's really a crap shoot on how he will do over here.

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
i remember ray ferraro mentioning during the worlds gmg, that plotnikov bought out his own contract so that he could play in the nhl this year.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
I feel like being a "bad" skater limits you the least of most deficiencies. You can always work around it if you're talented in other respects. You know who's a bad skater? Corey Perry.

If you're weak along the boards, have a muffin or an inaccurate shot, completely lack any hockey sense...those are all worse problems to have, IMO. If you're a bad skater, at the worst you probably just fall down a lot, and rely more on forechecking than speed off the rush for your offense.

Excellent point, as long as he follows the coach's system & is positionnally intuitive he should be ok.

Oh & he looks like a mean ************. :laugh:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Geno will demand a trade because kunitz is on his line? Touchy guys these russians :) hell if malkin didnt demand a trade after last year he never will.

I think he and crosby are gluttons for punishment actually. Leave it to the pens to have the only two stars in pro sports without an ounce of ego enough to speak out when the team isnt doing the right thing.

1. I was being facetious.

2. I couldn't agree more with your last sentence.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Something tells me you haven't even seen him play and are just taking some blurb on eliteprospects as gospel.

I've never seen anything wrong with his skating.

I guess we will see who is right this season.

I'll also bet you said the same things about Eric Tangradi.. And we all know how that worked out. Skating is really important, IMO.. We will have to agree to disagree on that

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
His last sentence was pure presumptuous BS. How the hell would you two know what Crosby & Malkin say to coach/gm etc.?

From googling the words 'speak out'

speak out (or up)
phrasal verb of speak

express one's feelings or opinions frankly and publicly.
"the administration will be forthright in speaking out against human rights abuses"
synonyms: speak publicly, speak openly, speak frankly, speak one's mind, sound off, stand up and be counted
"if you've got a grievance, then speak out"

Something said in private by definition wouldn't be public.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

I'll also bet you said the same things about Eric Tangradi.. And we all know how that worked out. Skating is really important, IMO.. We will have to agree to disagree on that

Tangradi's skating was certainly bad, but it's not why he washed out. He washed out because he reads the play way, way, way, way, way too slow.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

You dodging the question leads me to believe you haven't seen him play.

There's nothing about being right or wrong. I'm not suggesting Plotnikov is a sure-fire NHLer. I'm not taking that bet. There's a chance he contributes, and there's a chance he doesn't. He could be another Lehtera, Brunner, Komarov, or Pesonen.

Last edited:

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
cassius has to start throwing around his vague assumptions now so he pull a Dejan and say how he was so right a year from now. Or completely forget about it if he was wrong.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Weren't you telling me this a year ago? :popcorn:

My stance last year was be careful what you wish for (Shero getting fired), because the next guy might be worse. When JR was hired I basically said I'll wait and see how he does before I panic like others were doing. I usually give a guy a couple of years before I make any kind of ultimate decision on how I feel about his body of work. Coach or GM.

I liked a few of JRs moves, didn't like a few others, and the Despres fiasco was gross incompetence from every level in the org.

However, I'm not going to sit around and wait for the sky to fall like others, as I said. I know he won't fleece anyone like Shero did, but we both grew tired of Shero's conservative nature and wanted a more proactive GM like CP. Let's face it though, we got a guy who isn't afraid to make moves, so ultimately it's another lesson of being careful what you wish for.

If he ****s up, I'll speak my mind, but I'm going to be positive because he might actually start to turn this ship back on course.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I feel like being a "bad" skater limits you the least of most deficiencies. You can always work around it if you're talented in other respects. You know who's a bad skater? Corey Perry.

If you're weak along the boards, have a muffin or an inaccurate shot, completely lack any hockey sense...those are all worse problems to have, IMO. If you're a bad skater, at the worst you probably just fall down a lot, and rely more on forechecking than speed off the rush for your offense.
He actually has the ugly Perry stride. Not a big deal. His foot speed and strength look good.

Very happy to see the Pens think outside the box on this. I still want to take a shot at Frolik.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
My stance last year was be careful what you wish for (Shero getting fired), because the next guy might be worse. When JR was hired I basically said I'll wait and see how he does before I panic like others were doing. I usually give a guy a couple of years before I make any kind of ultimate decision on how I feel about his body of work. Coach or GM.

I liked a few of JRs moves, didn't like a few others, and the Despres fiasco was gross incompetence from every level in the org.

However, I'm not going to sit around and wait for the sky to fall like others, as I said. I know he won't fleece anyone like Shero did, but we both grew tired of Shero's conservative nature and wanted a more proactive GM like CP. Let's face it though, we got a guy who isn't afraid to make moves, so ultimately it's another lesson of being careful what you wish for.

If he ****s up, I'll speak my mind, but I'm going to be positive because he might actually start to turn this ship back on course.

Couldn't have said it any better. The negativity around here has been irritating to say the least.

The only move I hated was the despres move. But I'm still going to say there was something else behind it that didn't get out to the public.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

No reply was necessary. It's a nice signing. If you can add Tikhonov, it goes a long way to undoing a lot of the damage JR and his predecessor have done and creates a lot of flexibility in terms of potential acquisitions.

It's just that it's JR with that flexibility that gives me a little pause. :D

Seriously, I agree 100% with your concluding paragraph. Thing is, this year, he's got to target and get rid of the right guys.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
You dodging the question leads me to believe you haven't seen him play.

There's nothing about being right or wrong. I'm not suggesting Plotnikov is a sure-fire NHLer. I'm not taking that bet. There's a chance he contributes, and there's a chance he doesn't. He could be another Lehtera, Brunner, Komarov, or Pesonen.

So I made a talent assessment / projection.. You disagreed with it and then accused me of not knowing what I'm talking about? And then you go on to say he could be a boom or bust player? Got it. Lots of confidence and conviction there, Jacob

Funny stuff man. You said similar stuff about me when I made my predictions about Staal and we all know who got the last laugh ;)

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
cassius has to start throwing around his vague assumptions now so he pull a Dejan and say how he was so right a year from now. Or completely forget about it if he was wrong.

Go re read my post - nothing's vague about it. Your reading comprehension must be lacking because it's pretty clear. To reiterate, I don't see him making an impact at the NHL a level

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Man I hear ya. So many negative people that want to play the told you so game.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
So I made a talent assessment / projection.. You disagreed with it and then accused me of not knowing what I'm talking about? And then you go on to say he could be a boom or bust player? Got it. Lots of confidence and conviction there, Jacob

Funny stuff man. You said similar stuff about me when I made my predictions about Staal and we all know who got the last laugh ;)

Well what are you basing you're talent assessment / projection on? It's a pretty simple ****ing question.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Plotnikov isn't a slow skater, he's above average and has a few gears, but his game is like that, he has spurts of speed and then kind of skates around waiting to strike.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Tangradi's skating was certainly bad, but it's not why he washed out. He washed out because he reads the play way, way, way, way, way too slow.
Crazy idea, but is it a possibility that there's a correlation between the two characteristics you described?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad