Yoga, yes Yoga, will help your hockey...

BadHammy*

Here are a few links to read as a primer, http://www.wzzm13.com/news/news_story.aspx?storyid=95442&catid=14 http://www.eqjournalblog.com/?p=27

Several NHL players credit it for their longevity, specifically Mark Recchi. I've gotta say, players younger than maybe 24 or 25 won't benefit from it as much, but for adults who want to keep playing, Yoga will help your endurance, conditioning, durability and even your explosiveness. I've been doing it on and off for several years now and managed to avoid any serious injuries during that time span, perhaps a coincidence, but I tend to doubt it.

nullterm

Dec 8, 2007
Port Moody, BC
Got home from practice with a sore back and looked up a yoga schedule to work on flexability and conditioning. Now I see this thread pop up. Creepy.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
I would love to do it, it just seems so expensive.

Any idea on which sort of yoga is best for flexibility? The mental stuff is less important to me.

And how often would one need to go to feel an effect? Is an hour a week enough? 4 hours minimum?

I'm gonna look into this....

Ozolinsh_27

Apr 1, 2005
Are there any particular Yoga styles or flavors anyone recommends?

Has anyone tried both yoga and pilates? If so, which did you prefer? I'd love to read anyone's experiences with either. I'm getting older now and the teams I've usually played with aren't practicing much anymore so extra conditioning in off-ice activities is a priority to me.

BadHammy*

Are there any particular Yoga styles or flavors anyone recommends?

Has anyone tried both yoga and pilates? If so, which did you prefer? I'd love to read anyone's experiences with either. I'm getting older now and the teams I've usually played with aren't practicing much anymore so extra conditioning in off-ice activities is a priority to me.

It just depends on you. Feel free to start your own regimen, build it as you go. I currently do a Yoga DVD, I don't belong to any studios or anything like that.

zoA

Mar 23, 2010
I just do it once a week as part of P90X. Some of those balance poses are kind of tough. I don't do them frequently enough to get much better at them.

I do the P90x Yoga 4 times a week, feels great, and because I'm doing it more than once a week, I can literally see results every time I do it again. Sorry, just going to go off on a tangent here, but, as far as p90x, other than Plyometrics and Yoga, I don't see much use in it, but to each their own.

Honestly, Yoga is amazing, I can't pimp it enough. Not only do I feel better physically, but mentally as well. A question to any yoga "experts", I've only done the p90x version so I'm not sure how it differs from traditional yoga classes, but a friend of mine who has done both said the p90x version is way more intense, any truth to that?

BadHammy*

I do the P90x Yoga 4 times a week, feels great, and because I'm doing it more than once a week, I can literally see results every time I do it again. Sorry, just going to go off on a tangent here, but, as far as p90x, other than Plyometrics and Yoga, I don't see much use in it, but to each their own.

Honestly, Yoga is amazing, I can't pimp it enough. Not only do I feel better physically, but mentally as well. A question to any yoga "experts", I've only done the p90x version so I'm not sure how it differs from traditional yoga classes, but a friend of mine who has done both said the p90x version is way more intense, any truth to that?

I'm no expert but regular yoga can vary widely in intensity.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Yoga and pilates will help with any sport - your flexibility, breathing, core strength, and mental focus will all be improved. I do yoga twice a week and pilates once a week in addition to standard cardio and strength training, all to help me with rock climbing and ice climbing.

Cochese

Mar 14, 2008
Yoga is amazing, it helps you loosen up, feel light on your feet. I was skeptical all my friends made fun of me for taking a class but it was very rewarding, not to mention all the eye candy because more often than not you are surrounded by women.:naughty:

RJ8812*

I do yoga, well "Bodyflow" which is a mixture of yoga, tai chi and pilates...great class

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
I went to a yoga class once. It was kind of difficult to do with three legs.

Little Nilan

Oct 29, 2006
Praha
Yoga, restauration, GPP, massages, therapy (both physiological and psychological and chinese methods of relaxation/healing all have great benefits in combination with strength training and skill development.

If you want to be a pro, you need to devote 24/7 to hockey, or close to it.

Giroux tha Damaja

Apr 17, 2009
Mount Holly, NJ

You must have a huge amount of upper body strength, or simply weren't working yourself hard enough during the other videos. It's great for just building total body conditioning and burning calories in people who are already very strong, and if you don't have a lot of upper body strength to begin with ti will certainly get you to a respectable level there too.

The P90X version holds some poses and moves through some poses the require a good amount of core strength to execute repeatedly in good form. It also throws in push ups in certain spots, etc. You spend a lot of time supporting your body weight on all fours, or balancing on one foot holding awkward poses.

I also find the poses they designed as isometric ab exercises are pretty damn tough.

Last edited:

JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
Here are a few links to read as a primer, http://www.wzzm13.com/news/news_story.aspx?storyid=95442&catid=14 http://www.eqjournalblog.com/?p=27

Several NHL players credit it for their longevity, specifically Mark Recchi. I've gotta say, players younger than maybe 24 or 25 won't benefit from it as much, but for adults who want to keep playing, Yoga will help your endurance, conditioning, durability and even your explosiveness. I've been doing it on and off for several years now and managed to avoid any serious injuries during that time span, perhaps a coincidence, but I tend to doubt it.

Actually, I can attest to its noticeable positive impact at any age. The difference from my teen years (not doing yoga) to my play in my twenties (doing yoga regularly) was night & day, especially in my skating agility and speed.

BadHammy*

Actually, I can attest to its noticeable positive impact at any age. The difference from my teen years (not doing yoga) to my play in my twenties (doing yoga regularly) was night & day, especially in my skating agility and speed.

I'm glad to hear it!

GCM

Stork
Jun 22, 2010
I can attest to the P90X Yoga being very good. Even though the other workouts are harder, I sweat way more with the Yoga. It's just amazing cardio.

One of the not so apparent facts is that a lot of the poses help build otherwise ignored stabalizer muscles. The smaller muscles that aren't really paid attention too because you can't necessarily see them like some of the more prominent ones (biceps, etc.,).

Yoga's really good for anyone. Consistent stretching helps increase the muscles elasticity and that will prevent minor injuries like sprains from occurring (not completely, but they'll be far less frequent). It will also help cut down on major injuries. Continuing to stretch whilst injured is a good way to speed up recovery because it gets your blood pumping and the more blood that reaches your injured area the faster the healing will go.

So yeah, I agree with this topic, I recommend Toga X from P90X and for people only doing the yoga 2-3 times a week is fine. In fact get P90X's "X Stretch" as well. Then go yoga x, rest day, yoga x, rest day, x stretch, two rest days repeat.

As for how to get just those dvds, I recommend illegal downloading <_<

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad