Post-Game Talk: Yippie aye o Paille - Bruins beat Detroit 5-3

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
The last thing Claude Julien wanted to do in Sunday’s third period was to burn another of Rask’s matches. Niklas Svedberg almost forced Julien into something he didn’t want to do.

“I’m going to be honest with you. I’m not going to say it didn’t cross my mind,†the Bruins coach answered when asked if he considered hooking Svedberg for the third time in his last five starts. “At one point, you look at the score and say, ‘Maybe I’ve got to make a tough decision.’ I really wanted to commit to Sveddy there. At the same time, confidence-wise, it’s important for him to finish the game. Sometimes you’ve got to take a calculated gamble and say, ‘You know what? I have confidence he’ll do the job until the end.’ And he did.â€

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...as-svedberg/Vmfe3yIb0FQOrYqvVVEUtK/story.html

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
they slowed think it had to do back to back games .

While that may have contributed, to me it felt like they stopped skating. They stopped fore checking. They started to play passively, just trying to get through the game. They stopped being aggressive. I think they were trying to coast to victory and it nearly turned into a problem. They could have stepped in the throat of the wings and took control, but they came out in the third, just trying to hold on.

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
Svedy made some great saves, but the softies he lets in are deflating.

Spooner again so close with the one timer. Once he gets his aim, watch out. Love him on the pp. Doesn't hold on to the puck long, and make the quick simple pass for a shot. Hope the guys learn from him and keep the puck moving all the time.

4th line looks great. Paille looks happy. Love the guy when he contributes.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I find the biggest issue with the physicality part is the Habs are clearly a quicker team, hard to lay a nice check when ya can`t catch a player;)

To some degree I agree but the Isles and Detroit are just as fast and we hit them. Looch also plays awful against them. He plays a combination of tentative and pissed off and gets sucked into an undisciplined game.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Two really big games that could've really put us on our ass, and two big wins. Unfortunately it's going to take a heck of a lot of energy this year to get to the playoffs, but I still think they can do a little damage if they get there.

I'm really hopeful to get some of the young guys some of that experience if anything.

I think this is true. Some teams have their match up struggles but I would hate to be the team that has to face the Bruins first round. I would hope the Panthers catch us (Panthers rely more on loser points than regulation wins-there are no loser points in the playoffs).

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
The last thing Claude Julien wanted to do in Sunday’s third period was to burn another of Rask’s matches. Niklas Svedberg almost forced Julien into something he didn’t want to do.

“I’m going to be honest with you. I’m not going to say it didn’t cross my mind,†the Bruins coach answered when asked if he considered hooking Svedberg for the third time in his last five starts. “At one point, you look at the score and say, ‘Maybe I’ve got to make a tough decision.’ I really wanted to commit to Sveddy there. At the same time, confidence-wise, it’s important for him to finish the game. Sometimes you’ve got to take a calculated gamble and say, ‘You know what? I have confidence he’ll do the job until the end.’ And he did.â€

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...as-svedberg/Vmfe3yIb0FQOrYqvVVEUtK/story.html

I don't like these comments from Clode.

Even if the thought of pulling Svedberg did cross his mind, I feel like you have to publically support your guy and give him a vote of confidence.

He's extremely prone to bad goals, but he also had some great saves to keep them in the game. They don't have any other options. They're going to need him to spell Rask down the stretch.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
I'm not trying to be a negative Nancy but that third period was brutal. There were many consecutive shifts where we didn't even think of trying to transition the puck and try for offense. The immediate response was to put the puck off the boards and into the neutral zone. This shound be option b or c not a. We haven't learned from of our past blown leads and late goals. Prevent defense doesn't work. It's infuriating
We look good in the first 2 periods though. One injury to this defense and it's over

Sevren

Nov 10, 2009
Montreal

Haven't seen the 3rd period so I missed goals #2 and #3, but the first one in the first period was not a softy despite what NBC had to say. There is no way Svedberg saw the puck coming with McQuaid in front of him trying to block the shot.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

Spooner again so close with the one timer. Once he gets his aim, watch out. Love him on the pp. Doesn't hold on to the puck long, and make the quick simple pass for a shot. Hope the guys learn from him and keep the puck moving all the time.

4th line looks great. Paille looks happy. Love the guy when he contributes.

Imagine a unit with the speed and pure skill of Spooner (Savard), Pastrnak (Kessel), Lucic (Lucic), Krug (no comparison), and someone like Bergy, Krejci, or Soderberg etc. Could be like our 08-09 PP.

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
Imagine a unit with the speed and pure skill of Spooner (Savard), Pastrnak (Kessel), Lucic (Lucic), Krug (no comparison), and someone like Bergy, Krejci, or Soderberg etc. Could be like our 08-09 PP.

Yup. There sure is potential for a great pp. especially if Connolly develops into a sniper and Hamilton on the right side. Next season should be exciting. The p/o to.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
While that may have contributed, to me it felt like they stopped skating. They stopped fore checking. They started to play passively, just trying to get through the game. They stopped being aggressive. I think they were trying to coast to victory and it nearly turned into a problem. They could have stepped in the throat of the wings and took control, but they came out in the third, just trying to hold on.

Less skating. Less forechecking. Both things that take energy. Symptoms of back-to-back fatigue, no?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Less skating. Less forechecking. Both things that take energy. Symptoms of back-to-back fatigue, no?

Maybe, but they weren't even crossing over center ice. Where as the first two periods they were sending in two forecheckers. Late in the game they weren't sending anyone.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto

Even if the thought of pulling Svedberg did cross his mind, I feel like you have to publically support your guy and give him a vote of confidence.

He's extremely prone to bad goals, but he also had some great saves to keep them in the game. They don't have any other options. They're going to need him to spell Rask down the stretch.

I see no problem. Sounds to me like he is supporting him and he actually did show confidence in him. He's being honest - there's nothing to be gained from whitewashing things.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Maybe, but they weren't even crossing over center ice. Where as the first two periods they were sending in two forecheckers. Late in the game they weren't sending anyone.

I think that is Clodes plan.
5 guys at the blue line and make Det, or who ever the opponent try to get
through 5 guys. Clog the Netural zone

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I think that is Clodes plan.
5 guys at the blue line and make Det, or who ever the opponent try to get
through 5 guys. Clog the Netural zone

When they got up, yes. First two periods, they were sending two down to forecheck. In the third period, they sent nobody. They clearly changed it up and were trying to pack it in using some sad, ineffective prevent defense scheme.

Strange Universe

Apr 8, 2009
When they got up, yes. First two periods, they were sending two down to forecheck. In the third period, they sent nobody. They clearly changed it up and were trying to pack it in using some sad, ineffective prevent defense scheme.

Exactly, and I agree with your other post #127.
It is so frustrating to watch when this team can play a better rounded game that certainly works and then we get a totally different team effort in the third.

The D also had some awful moments where they were not making smart puck movement or plain lazy non involvement plays to simply clear the puck effectively.
Just brutal at times and this needs to be addressed and cleaned up if they do want to make any serious push down the road.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

Honest quotes.But at same time he has to give Rask a break.Just to much.Glad he nevered win or lose.Resting Rask can pay off down road in last month.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I think this is true. Some teams have their match up struggles but I would hate to be the team that has to face the Bruins first round. I would hope the Panthers catch us (Panthers rely more on loser points than regulation wins-there are no loser points in the playoffs).

Unless your habs :sarcasm: I pray Boston can get in and move past Caps or Tampa can move past Scabs.Just do not like way Bruins play them so passive or over commit and afraid to lose rather then going for it hard. p.s.Its Ottawa the Bruins need to stay ahead to me not Florida.Big game tomorrow.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Way to settle Sveddy down for the next start Claude...he's already a basket case.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus

I'm always puzzled by the assertion that what a coach says to the media and what he says to a player is the exact same thing.

I mean, I know there are some coaches who communicate with their players via the media, but Julien, from all accounts, is not one of them.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011

Svedberg did look a bit shaky at times, but still made 36 saves.

I think any backup goalie in the league is going to have confidence problems if they only play a handful of games in the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad