Post-Game Talk: Yikes. Pens struggle against a formidable Detroit Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I didn't say they won by being physical. I said they have no one that can change the tenor of a game on the physical side of things. Kunitz did provide meaningful hits on occasions. So did Cole. So did Reaves. Not saying that caused them to win those games, but the game has momentum shifts and those guys were all a part of that.

Also, they can't forecheck if they never get the puck deep or have serious issues getting out of their own end. They're having problems with both of those right now.

Hornqvist had more hits than any other Pen last season

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Phil68

Jun 13, 2009
Did we really need Brassard? And for the price which was paid. Anyhow, our defense is the main issue, question is how do we fix that during the off season. I don't see the Penguins getting passed the first round.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Did we really need Brassard? And for the price which was paid. Anyhow, our defense is the main issue, question is how do we fix that during the off season. I don't see the Penguins getting passed the first round.

We literally gave up nothing of value and got a center that is above .5ppg on our third line.

Oh, and just for kicks, we have him next year.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
I was a big fan of what Kunitz brought the past two years, but I would argue every single one of our top six wingers brings the same type of physicality if not more outside of Kessel.

The issues are poor execution of a system because of a lack of effort. Our best run this year was without Cole for half of it.

Physicality has nothing to do with it.
Sorry I just do not agree. Every now and then a team needs a spark. I just haven't felt that spark outside of skill plays.

I do agree that they aren't executing, but it's hard to execute when you never get to that part of the game. No speed rushes, not able to build a transition game, can't get out of our own end, consistently turning pucks over in the D zone.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

Yes we did.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Yes, we did IMO...and I'm very worried right now we'll be without him when the POs start...Pens cancelled practice in Newark today so we won't find out anything about his status until Thursday...

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Sorry I just do not agree. Every now and then a team needs a spark. I just haven't felt that spark outside of skill plays.

I do agree that they aren't executing, but it's hard to execute when you never get to that part of the game. No speed rushes, not able to build a transition game, can't get out of our own end, consistently turning pucks over in the D zone.
So, if we hit more people we will be back to executing rushes, our transistion will be better and we will stop turning pucks over?

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Yes, we did IMO...and I'm very worried right now we'll be without him when the POs start...Pens cancelled practice in Newark today so we won't find out anything about his status until Thursday...

But if it was serious, we would have still heard something today right?

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
But if it was serious, we would have still heard something today right?

No..according to San Werner, who tweeted about 20 minutes ago, there will be no update until tomorrow since the Pens aren't showing their faces today at the Newark rink...probably from embarrassment at last night's display of junior high hockey

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Because people don't understand what they're watching. Whining about lines is the last refuge of fans who can't come to terms that their favoritist team in the whole world isn't as good as they think they are.

The Kronwall and Helm goals are goals you NEVER see anymore in this league: a player off to the side near the icing line at a standstill finding a man wide open in the slot. Those passes are always tipped away or intercepted. Guy's are noy paying any attention to fundamentals you were taught as a kid.

But sure, let's blame player X not playing with player Y as the real culprit.

Thank you!! Excellent post.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
What exactly does Brassard really deliver here. I am not questioning his talent, just his usage. He is presently behind Sid and Malkin and to me that is not exactly what his value is. He is a second line center stuck on a third line role. And yes the cost was not something that was not costly. A first round pick, Cole, the goalie and Reeves is certainly a high acquisition cost. Have you not watched this Mr Softee defense without Cole. Have you not seen the team struggle in so many mediocre opponents since the TDL. GMJR got his wish. He is now Carolina Jimmy for believing grit and toughness isn't important in the playoffs. He will find it is at the expense of not giving the team the kind of balance needed now. This is not the 2016 Pens here.

Reactions: Phil68

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Call me crazy, but I'd rather use Brassard on Crosby's wing and put Sheehan back with Kessel. I liked the way Sheehan and Kessel were working together before they got broke up after the deadline. I think it helps cover up for Kessel's defensive deficiencies more as well.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
What exactly does Brassard really deliver here. I am not questioning his talent, just his usage. He is presently behind Sid and Malkin and to me that is not exactly what his value is. He is a second line center stuck on a third line role. And yes the cost was not something that was not costly. A first round pick, Cole, the goalie and Reeves is certainly a high acquisition cost. Have you not watched this Mr Softee defense without Cole. Have you not seen the team struggle in so many mediocre opponents since the TDL. GMJR got his wish. He is now Carolina Jimmy for believing grit and toughness isn't important in the playoffs. He will find it is at the expense of not giving the team the kind of balance needed now. This is not the 2016 Pens here.

The idea of pairing him with Kessel giving us 3 dangerous lines was right. But with Kessel playing the way he is, we arent getting the most out of Brassard. Its also made Sheahan pretty useless.

If we are going to barely use our 4th line , then i dont know why they havent tried to move Brassard up in the lineup to get him more involved and just put Sheahan back with Kessel. Jooris centering the 4th line since Sully doesnt care about having 4 dangerous scoring lines anyways.

Dey so soff*

Feb 17, 2017
Cancelled practice?

Why not? It’s not like they have to work on anything.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Please cite me these “hits” that changed the game the last two playoffs.

Callahan’s 2016 “hit” on Letang changed the tenor of the 2017 games in playoffs? Niskanen’s “hit” changed a game in 2017. Orpik’s “hit” on Maatta had an effect on that game and probably Letang’s suspension. I await the “Reaves would have stopped it!!! ...from the bench or press box” response.

Seriously, the only hitting of note I can recall was them targeting an already injured Karlsson and they weren’t freight training him.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Dey so soff*

Feb 17, 2017
Because people don't understand what they're watching. Whining about lines is the last refuge of fans who can't come to terms that their favoritist team in the whole world isn't as good as they think they are.

The Kronwall and Helm goals are goals you NEVER see anymore in this league: a player off to the side near the icing line at a standstill finding a man wide open in the slot. Those passes are always tipped away or intercepted. Guy's are noy paying any attention to fundamentals you were taught as a kid.

But sure, let's blame player X not playing with player Y as the real culprit.

Hear, hear!

It’s not line combos. It’s not fatigue from long playoff runs. It’s guys literally acting like they don’t give a **** anymore. I can understand that if the team was out of the playoffs and looking ahead to the offseason, but this team has a shot at a historic 3 peat and are looking like beer leaguers out there.

I know they know how to play hockey the right way because I’ve seen them do it, but something is way off right now. I don’t know if there is turmoil in the locker room or what, but something is wrong.

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
Well I saw this coming when the Pens signed Maata and Dum0 for over 4 million each and that was just bizarre because they had to sign Schultz for over 5 million. Then going out and signing another d man ( Hunwick )? That left no room for Cole who is only making 2 .5 million this year. Now thing is that the Pens could have signed Cole for around 4 million as opposed to Dumo or Maata. Cole should be a top 4 ahead of Dumo. Cole 's career plus minus is plus 77 today in 400 games and Dumo is plus 7 in 238 games. Cole also out points him. Now after the coach effed Cole around this year Cole has almost as many points as Schultz and almost as good plus minus. Cole has more points than Dumo and outclasses his plus minus as well. All while being active in the physical part of the game. I did not understand the way Rutherford signed the d, the way the coaching staff evaluated and played the d so I am not surprised at the result. Meanwhile the Jackets are 12 and 3 since the deadline, own a ten game winning streak, with Cole getting 7 points and going plus 13 in those 12 games. Big mistake moving Cole.

It's going to be an interesting offseason around the league with respect to D-men with Karlsson , Doughty and Cole all available.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
The idea of pairing him with Kessel giving us 3 dangerous lines was right. But with Kessel playing the way he is, we arent getting the most out of Brassard. Its also made Sheahan pretty useless.

If we are going to barely use our 4th line , then i dont know why they havent tried to move Brassard up in the lineup to get him more involved and just put Sheahan back with Kessel. Jooris centering the 4th line since Sully doesnt care about having 4 dangerous scoring lines anyways.

I know Brass got some points recently, but i don't see any chemistry with Brass and Phil.

Right before the trade Jake Sheahan and Phil were playing really good together, i'd love to see Sully go back to that line.

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Did I say it was the playoffs? You don't like my point, fine. But please do not get dictatorial with me.

So, you have no evidence to back up your point and I’m being dictatorial?

This team won two cups with Hornqvist being our most physical player.

Ian Cole is not a “physical” player. He took penalty after penalty for hooking, tripping and slashing because of his stick work and lost his man a ton result in inflated shot blocks.

You’re just flat out wrong and reiterating what someone like Mike Milbury would say.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Callahan’s 2016 “hit” on Letang changed the tenor of the 2017 games in playoffs? Niskanen’s “hit” changed a game in 2017. Orpik’s “hit” on Maatta had an effect on that game and probably Letang’s suspension. I await the “Reaves would have stopped it!!! ...from the bench or press box” response.

Seriously, the only hitting of note I can recall was them targeting an already injured Karlsson and they weren’t freight training him.

Brilliant response.

We won by NOT hitting most of our playoffs and winning through our depth.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Call me crazy, but I'd rather use Brassard on Crosby's wing and put Sheehan back with Kessel. I liked the way Sheehan and Kessel were working together before they got broke up after the deadline. I think it helps cover up for Kessel's defensive deficiencies more as well.

They should be looking at doing something like that. Id hope, with the way the team is playing ...they are at least open to exploring different ways to get this team firing on all cylinders. Even if it goes against what they "wanted" going into the playoffs. The 3C model that won before.

I do think Brassard can work great with Crosby. I know we got him to be our 3C but its more important to get the most out of him, right now. He'll be more adjusted to the system next season and be that great 3C we wanted.

Alot of this depends on Kessel, who like I said has been pretty bad since the deadline. So not only is he taking away from our offense but hes also affecting Brassard as well. Theyve put up ok numbers, had point streaks going until last night. But those two together, should be generating chances every time they are out on the ice. I still dont see it. And theres only 5 games left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad