Yep, another ESPN thread (MOD: Soccer popularity)

SkinsFan09

Jun 10, 2009
Brooklyn
Alright, calm down. I was wondering what you considered "major sports". My impression is that women fare much better in sports like Tennis and Golf for instance. Compared only to the big NA sports which rely heavily on physique it's no wonder that the women teams fare badly compared to men.

However, as I said the gap between men and women in soccer is huge. The Swedish women's national team which is one of the best in the world usually get beat when facing 16 year old boys.

I mean that's the same in every sport. The US high school national basketball champs would beat any WNBA team.

True, in individual sports but even then the gap between difficulty of shots in say tennis is big.

Wedontneedroads

Jul 14, 2008
San Jose
This is funny to me. Soccer and Hockey are my two favorite sports. I have to hear the American ESPN bafoons bash Soccer ALL DAY LONG. Jim Rome has his head so far up his a** about the sport it's embarrassing that he even comments on it at all. At least they have some hockey smart people signed up to talk hockey every once and a while on a scheduled segment.

Let soccer have a little recognition. Clearly it is not the 4th most popular sport in America. However, it has definitely gained significant momentum, and every 4 years everyone and their mother jumps on the soccer band wagon for the World Cup.

Take a deep breath. Hockey is still more liked in America than Soccer. Goosfraba...

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
I mean that's the same in every sport. The US high school national basketball champs would beat any WNBA team.

True, in individual sports but even then the gap between difficulty of shots in say tennis is big.

One of my favorite tennis stories was the Williams sisters claiming they could beat any man ranked outside of the top 200, and some guy who was ranked 203rd or something beat them 6-2 6-1 after playing a round of golf in the morning.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
One of my favorite tennis stories was the Williams sisters claiming they could beat any man ranked outside of the top 200, and some guy who was ranked 203rd or something beat them 6-2 6-1 after playing a round of golf in the morning.

Karsten Braasch

Ranked 203 in the world at the time and well past his prime (nearing 40). Prepared for the match by drinking a few beers, and then smoked cigarettes during the changeovers. Beat both the Williams sisters handily.

Hertl Power

May 7, 2010
Bay Area, California
Karsten Braasch

Ranked 203 in the world at the time and well past his prime (nearing 40). Prepared for the match by drinking a few beers, and then smoked cigarettes during the changeovers. Beat both the Williams sisters handily.

Um you have the age wrong. Since he was born in 67 and it happened in early 98 he would have been 30 while Venus and Serena were 17 and 16 respectively.

SirQuacksALot

A Garibaldi in Kelp
Mar 16, 2010
Um you have the age wrong. Since he was born in 67 and it happened in early 98 he would have been 30 while Venus and Serena were 17 and 16 respectively.

So a professional athlete in his prime beat a couple of teenagers? Hardly breaking news.

vezna*

as a canadian, i don't care if hockey is the 10th most popular sport in the us

soccer really is popular and it's easy to understand because it's one of the most simplistic sports. it's just a question of whether that popularity will translate to the MLS. it's not even a 2nd or 3rd tier league because the best players in their prime play in england, italy, germany or spain. when you get used to watching the best athletes of their sport playing in the NHL/NFL/MLB/NBA... MLS just kind of sucks.

Schalkenullvier*

To get back to Rugby for a second: I think Rugby is a much better Sport that A-football. I mean, football's roots are Rugby, but they Took out the Rule that you are not allowed to pass forward, which is pretty much the basic idea of the sport. I find that kind of dumb. Also, a Rugby Game is much more fluid, Not interrupted every 10 seconds. There are actually points scored without set pieces.

To the Main debate: I love soccer and I like hockey, and I think that the fanbases of the 2 sports are similar: in fact, the basic idea is the same, to put a ball or a puck in the opposing Goal, while overcoming opposing players and goalkeepers. Also, both are contact sports, more or less. There are quite a few similarities (thats Why I think Hockey Fans should give handball (the European One) a Chance- it shares the Same basics)

Still, I am glad to live in a Soccer first Country. As great As playoffs are, I like the fight for championsship, european competition and relegation on the last matchday in simoultaneous matches better; also, the fact that there are international competitions to go with a Domestic cup is cool (granted, thats Not possible in North America- only 2 countries there)

Soccer is the Most simple, most complicated, Most addicting, Most annoying, most exciting, Most boring, most beautiul, most ugly, Most finesse, Most hard-fought, most euphoriant, Most crushing sport in the world, all at one time... Thats what makes it so great. I'm sure Soccer will gain popularity in North America, but as long as Kids in europe grow up with the game and Start playing it with 4 years, and barely do anything Else in their childhood (sadly, Video Games are Making their impact- I could see poorer countries catching up to the super powers in their respective sports in the next years due to that), the game will have its center in Europe.

vezna*

what we consider contact in hockey is a red card in soccer.

i actually enjoy soccer, but in limited form. i can only watch soccer during the World Cup or the Euro because at least the teams are as close to being 'equal' as possible.

but actual league play is horrendous. there's maybe 2 or 3 teams in each league that can actually win the championship because of the lack of competitiveness. so what you have is something like La Liga where you have 20 teams, but Barcelona and Real Madrid take turns winning the 'championship'

there's also so many things with rules in the game itself. while nhl, nba, nfl and mlb are the top leagues and have a huge influence on changing the game to adapt to the ever changing world, soccer is stagnant because there's no such thing as a soccer commissioner and they pride themselves in 'staying true to the game'.

another thing that irks me about soccer fanatics is that they actually want their players to dive. while diving exists in other sports, soccer is the only sport where i've seen fanbases wanting their players to dive to get penalties. it's kind of pathetic compared to the culture in other sports where diving is taboo and frowned upon.

i could go on and on from timewasting, turtling, going for draws, stupid offside rules, etc. soccer is far from a 'perfect' game as much as people make it out like. at the end of the day, hockey is faster, more explosive, more skillful, and more relevant than soccer.

Pentothal

Listen with one ear
Dec 30, 2008
It's not even close

i actually enjoy soccer, but in limited form. i can only watch soccer during the World Cup or the Euro because at least the teams are as close to being 'equal' as possible.

but actual league play is horrendous. there's maybe 2 or 3 teams in each league that can actually win the championship because of the lack of competitiveness. so what you have is something like La Liga where you have 20 teams, but Barcelona and Real Madrid take turns winning the 'championship'

there's also so many things with rules in the game itself. while nhl, nba, nfl and mlb are the top leagues and have a huge influence on changing the game to adapt to the ever changing world, soccer is stagnant because there's no such thing as a soccer commissioner and they pride themselves in 'staying true to the game'.

another thing that irks me about soccer fanatics is that they actually want their players to dive. while diving exists in other sports, soccer is the only sport where i've seen fanbases wanting their players to dive to get penalties. it's kind of pathetic compared to the culture in other sports where diving is taboo and frowned upon.

i could go on and on from timewasting, turtling, going for draws, stupid offside rules, etc. soccer is far from a 'perfect' game as much as people make it out like. at the end of the day, hockey is faster, more explosive, more skillful, and more relevant than soccer.

Stupid offside rule? Pretty similar to offside in hockey. Why not get that out too? Soccer would be horrible without offside. Put a guy just standing around the goal and simply hoof the ball in his direction.

FIFA do actually change rules from time to time, notably they removed the backpass and there's talk about implementing video review nowadays not to mention Blatter wanting girls play in sexy clothes :sarcasm:.

BTW, as much as I love the game, no way is hockey more skillful.

Schalkenullvier*

You should watch a different League than the spanish maybe, other leagues are much closer. And, by the way, in Soccer you Dont get rewarded for sucking by getting the Best prospects; you have to actually work your Way up.

At the moment, I cant think of a single rule I would change in soccer, except of maybe Video replay, but its hard to judge which scenes should Be regiewed.

Hockey may Be faster; saying its more skillfull is Apples and oranges, and saying its more relevant is just Flat out wrong

Hertl Power

May 7, 2010
Bay Area, California
You should watch a different League than the spanish maybe, other leagues are much closer. And, by the way, in Soccer you Dont get rewarded for sucking by getting the Best prospects; you have to actually work your Way up.

At the moment, I cant think of a single rule I would change in soccer, except of maybe Video replay, but its hard to judge which scenes should Be regiewed.

Hockey may Be faster; saying its more skillfull is Apples and oranges, and saying its more relevant is just Flat out wrong

Only rule I want changed is to add a back refs for goal calls and to make sure things like Henry's hand of god II don't happen.

committedindian86

Bedard SZN
Jun 7, 2010
Chicago, IL
This is all kind of unfair. I think hockey and soccer are the most underrated and underappreciated sports in the US. There is no doubting the NFL will always be the biggest ticket in town, but hockey and soccer get thrown behind baseball and basketball here too? I grew up in Chicago so I am a fan of the Bulls and the Cubs. Excitement wise, you could argue against any of them though. Time between games/too many games/too few games/steroids/diving/etc. It's all media driven

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
This is funny to me. Soccer and Hockey are my two favorite sports. I have to hear the American ESPN bafoons bash Soccer ALL DAY LONG. Jim Rome has his head so far up his a** about the sport it's embarrassing that he even comments on it at all. At least they have some hockey smart people signed up to talk hockey every once and a while on a scheduled segment.

Let soccer have a little recognition. Clearly it is not the 4th most popular sport in America. However, it has definitely gained significant momentum, and every 4 years everyone and their mother jumps on the soccer band wagon for the World Cup.

Take a deep breath. Hockey is still more liked in America than Soccer. Goosfraba...

Same, Football is number one over here with Hockey having little recognition, I gather it's a flip in the US/Canada (In terms of coverage, Hockey having a fair amount, but still being 4th or so)

JerseyGuy276

An American Outlaw
Mar 22, 2010
A Flood Zone
I don't know anyone who plays soccer or any sort of organized soccer. Everyone I know has either been in a hockey or baseball league.
You must not know many people then, cause everyone I know has played soccer at some point in their life and my friends still have pick up matches today in our backyards...

The events leading up to the 1980 gold medal win were a huge factor in that game.

What happened during the other 90 minutes?

Its called a game. There were these things called goals scored and some exciting scoring chances and many other awesome things. Things that are much more exciting then watching some guys hit a tiny ball around with a wooden stick and catch it while claiming to be athletes.

Flyerfan808

Apr 28, 2007
Honolulu, HI
Interest in soccer is increasing in the US, sure; but for the author to point to those statistics to support his claim is reaching. Then again that's what you get for reading ESPIN. They've turned professional sports into a soap operas (see: NFL Lockout, Lebron's Decision) thankfully hockey stays relatively drama free and hence - untainted by their shenanigans.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Its called a game. There were these things called goals scored and some exciting scoring chances and many other awesome things. Things that are much more exciting then watching some guys hit a tiny ball around with a wooden stick and catch it while claiming to be athletes.

WOW THAT'S SO EXCITING!!!

And when a team has more than 10 shots on goal, it's considered A LOT...and it's 90 minutes games wooowwwwwwww zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
i think hockey takes the most specialized skills of any of the sports besides baseball. not anyone can skate and take a shot or square up a 95 mph fastball. anyone can run with a ball.

that said obviously you have to be very skilled to play any sport professionally. but as was mentioned earlier everyone in the world plays soccer. not everyone can play hockey or baseball. playing it well on the other hand, fewer can do.

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
I wonder how much people will care about ESPN and their love of soccer when the NBA locks out for a whole year.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
The same thing that happens during the majority of a hockey game: attempted offense being stifled by defense and goalies.

Right, except for less offense, more passing back and forth, and a much less exciting game.

Hardly the same thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad