Player Discussion: Yegor Chinakhov

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Looking like a great pick, and the Jarmo deserves credit in trusting his scouts and pulling the trigger, consensus lists be damned.

Still early, but I sincerely doubt there will be more than 20 players from that draft with better careers than Yegor when all is said and done, so that's what you want with a #21 pick.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
But I am going to hold off on patting Jarmo on the back when Chinakhov has played 116 games, and everyone in his draft class is younger by a year or more. That’s not very fair to the other guys in the draft. Jarmo reached on Chinakhov, he bet that he would be better than the guys drafted behind him.

This is one of the most interesting aspects when talking about Chinakhov. He was draft eligible in 2019 but drafted in 2020.

In an objective evaluation of Chinakhov’s career, I think you compare him against the his peers - the 2019 draft class. Chinakhov is 18th in points for the 2019 draft eligible (right behind Shane Pinto and Cam York) and 21st in games played (behind Tobias Bjornfot).

From a Blue Jackets perspective, you judge the team based on who was available to draft. So the CBJ evaluation should include the 2020 draft class. Chinakhov is 11th in scoring for 2020 (behind Jake Sanderson).

So far he looks like a really good pick by either measure. But I still think it is too early to judge. Jarmo initially looked like a genius for taking PLD over Puljujarvi. He still does, but it sort of blew up on the team. He could have taken Clayton Keller, Tkachuk, or Sergechev and still looked like a genius and the team might be in better shape now.

eta - to be more clear - Initially he was mocked for being an idiot for passing on Puljujarvi, then he was praised for picking PLD, then people were mixed with the Laine trade but everyone thought he did better than they had expected, and now drafting PLD is part of the Jarmo legend along with the Panarin and Jones acquisitions.

Last edited:

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I think the way the Jackets draft, they have a skater ranking with tiers. If everyone from a tier is taken, then that's when the Jackets will look to trade back. But based on Jarmo's past comments, their list is their list and they don't try to guess other teams' lists. Which means if an overager like Chinakhov is in a high tier and available, they'll take him without trading back even though every other team might have him ranked lower.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I think he was projected to go in late second or even third round
During the 2019/20 season he was projected sort of as a Top 100 guy, but the draft was in October that year, so the KHL season was already underway and Chinakhov was on fire there, so it made sense that the stock would rise. Obviously noone expected the first round pick for him, but when some say he was totally unknown, I don't know, I mean when I saw some draft guys going full WTF, for me it looked like a confession that they didn't do their homework properly.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
During the 2019/20 season he was projected sort of as a Top 100 guy, but the draft was in October that year, so the KHL season was already underway and Chinakhov was on fire there, so it made sense that the stock would rise. Obviously noone expected the first round pick for him, but when some say he was totally unknown, I don't know, I mean when I saw some draft guys going full WTF, for me it looked like a confession that they didn't do their homework properly.
Typical for overagers. Usually happens in the late rounds so they can gloss over it or if its in a Canadian league theyve had more exposure. Chinakhov is one of the funniest draft moments and its extra perfect now that hes looking legit and easily worth the selection

Reactions: Marioesque

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Typical for overagers. Usually happens in the late rounds so they can gloss over it or if its in a Canadian league theyve had more exposure. Chinakhov is one of the funniest draft moments and its extra perfect now that hes looking legit and easily worth the selection
Yes, especially if we are talking about Russian overagers without some impressive WJC performance - they are pretty much unknown for a lot of these draft guys, Chinakhov's case pretty much just exposed that.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Regardless of what we're seeing right now, it will still take some for a truly fair assessment. However, he was playing very well last year before getting hurt (story of the CBJ right?). He's shown a high level shot and, to me, a high level motor. He plays hard, plays all three zones and appears to be figuring out the game. I have very high hopes for him but can't jump out as a major hit from the draft just yet. I think it's trending that way based on these last two years and he bet on himself with his contract this year. Could pay off for him in a big way... and CBJ too. Let's see what he looks like when we get to game 82 this year.

Reactions: CBJx614

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
1-1-2 in his last 7 games.

Perhaps the genius declarations were a bit premature.
in his last five games:
  • 5v5 w/chinakhov: 94 shot attempts for, 58 against (61.8 CF%)
  • also at 5v5: 22 high danger chances for, 8 against
  • all situations: 8.01 xGF, 3.56 xGA (69.2 xGF%)
  • back-to-back games with 20+ minutes TOI
he has been incredible over his last few games, just not hitting the scoresheet.

Last edited:

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
in his last five games:
  • 5v5 w/chinakhov: 94 shot attempts for, 58 against (61.8 CF%)
  • also at 5v5: 22 high danger chances for, 8 against
  • all situations: 8.01 xGF, 3.56 xGA (69.2 xGF%)
  • back-to-back games with 20+ minutes TOI
he has been incredible over his last few games, just not hitting the scoresheet.
Exactly how my eye test was, he’s been shooting non stop, the goals will come

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Since December 8th (21 games) Chinakhov leads the team in goals (10) and points (16) at 5v5. Gaudreau leads with 7 assists so he's right behind there. Second place in goals is Sillinger with 6. Fantilli, Johnson, and Sillinger all have 9 points at 5v5, so Chinakhov is well outpacing them.

In all situations in that time, he's 11-8-19. That leads in all categories except for assists, where he's second to Gaudreau's 13.

74-point pace in his last 21 games. Something seems to have clicked.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
He’ll become Kaching-chingakov and I can’t wait for the moanining about his future so called overpaid contract. I’ll prepare my popcorn and 3D glasses in time for that :popcorn::DD

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

Apropos of nothing, when Pronman published his 2020 re-draft he had Chinakhov 31st.

Among 2020 draftees Chinakhov has played the 10th most games (this will even itself out in a few years), scored the 8th most goals (ahead of Byfield and Perfetti), and scored 12th most points.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I wonder what kinda contract he's gonna get.
I'm hoping he gets a 2 or 3 year bridge deal. Pay him 5mm or so if his performance continues at the current pace, less if he cools off. In no case do I offer him a 7 or 8 year deal. Same with Marchenko, KJ and Sillinger. Tex gets a bridge also. If all 5 of them improve over the next 2-3 years open the term & $

Cheddarcheese

Oct 24, 2023
I'm hoping he gets a 2 or 3 year bridge deal. Pay him 5mm or so if his performance continues at the current pace, less if he cools off. In no case do I offer him a 7 or 8 year deal. Same with Marchenko, KJ and Sillinger. Tex gets a bridge also. If all 5 of them improve over the next 2-3 years open the term & $
don't you think it would be more beneficial if some of them got long term deals ? you would spending a little more the first two years but after that if they stay on their protectory you save money ? i would offer Chinakov and sillinger long term marcho and KJ i would bridge imho

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
don't you think it would be more beneficial if some of them got long term deals ? you would spending a little more the first two years but after that if they stay on their protectory you save money ? i would offer Chinakov and sillinger long term marcho and KJ i would bridge imho

I don't see there being a lot of long term savings on a long term deal for Sillinger.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
A nice bridge deal to get through Laine's deal. I would think 2 years at $3.5-4.0 AAV
I think you pay as much as needed to get the shorter term. 3.5-4 would be great. Personally I'd go to 5 if he continues to light it up till the end of the season.

Reactions: Xoggz22

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad