Years Ago, in Days of Old, When Magic Filled the Air

Murmansk16A

Apr 29, 2022
A guy on YouTube (awood40) posts Red Wings highlights from various years past. This one is the highlights of a game against San Jose from 2-15-92, in which Jimmy Carson gets a hat trick (and Konstantinov has two nice goals, also).

It's cool to be able to see this stuff. In '92 I was living in Tampa, and couldn't watch any Wings games. I actually used to call some 800 number and pay to listen to Red Wings radio broadcasts of games on the telephone. Now I can actually see some of what I missed back then.

What an offensive minded team they had back then. Yzerman, Fedorov, Carson, Ysabaert, Sheppard, Primeau, Sheldon Kennedy, rookie year of Lidstrom and Konstantinov. Kozlov, Lapointe, and Sillinger came up later in the year.

The amount of hooking players got away with back then is comical.

91/92 RS: SJ @ Det Highlights - 2/15/92 (Carson Hat Trick)

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Good stuff.

Here's to hoping for a good outcome, now that we've gone through the darkest depths of Mordor (and supposedly met a girl so fair?).

Reactions: Murmansk16A

Hughes Hefner

May 12, 2018
A guy on YouTube (awood40) posts Red Wings highlights from various years past. This one is the highlights of a game against San Jose from 2-15-92, in which Jimmy Carson gets a hat trick (and Konstantinov has two nice goals, also).

It's cool to be able to see this stuff. In '92 I was living in Tampa, and couldn't watch any Wings games. I actually used to call some 800 number and pay to listen to Red Wings radio broadcasts of games on the telephone. Now I can actually see some of what I missed back then.

What an offensive minded team they had back then. Yzerman, Fedorov, Carson, Ysabaert, Sheppard, Primeau, Sheldon Kennedy, rookie year of Lidstrom and Konstantinov. Kozlov, Lapointe, and Sillinger came up later in the year.

I think that team was put together and coached by Brian Murray. Always thought he was a very good GM for the wings but he just couldn't get them over the hump.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I think that team was put together and coached by Brian Murray. Always thought he was a very good GM for the wings but he just couldn't get them over the hump.

That was Brian Murray stepping in over Demers but that team definitely lacked good goaltending. Cheveldae and Riendeau? Good grief.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
That's like current Maple Leafs.

And same fate, never passed the 1st round.

In a lot of ways, yes. That Toronto team is 1 goaltender injury away from being a bubble team. And their bottom 6 is the weakest it's ever been in the last 5 seasons.

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan

You didn't go see them play against Tampa at the fairgrounds?? That was my first NHL game, wings vs.tampa in 93 (I think) and Ray Sheppard had like 4 goals.

NervousPerson

Apr 11, 2010
Thanks for this. Followed a link there to watch this spirited contest against the Leafs:

Man, I loved Konstantinov, even more than Lidstrom at the time.

(for some reason this particular game is age-restricted...possibly a comment on Millen's horrific goaltending?)

Last edited:

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Thanks for this. Followed a link there to watch this spirited contest against the Leafs:

Man, I loved Konstantinov, even more than Lidstrom at the time.

(for some reason this particular game is age-restricted...possibly a comment on Millen's horrific goaltending?)

Bad goaltending or not...clutch and grab or not...
That felt like real hockey.
Rivalry game.
HNIC broadcast.
Watched that whole video and was supremely entertained.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00