Year end player grades

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
No. We graded his performance relative to his NHL Peers.

He is still a valuable prospect with immense upside, but if we are judging his performance in the NHL, he deserves an F.

Yes. He should not have been in the NHL this year.

The grading scale where half of this team gets A's and B's is ridiculous. We are the metaphorical "BATMAN v SUPERMAN" of hockey clubs.

Yup, and his play showed it. He was not an NHL caliber Dman this season.

?

It's the easiest thing to grade. You grade his performance relative to all Dmen in the NHL. Nurse was among the lowest performing Dmen in the league.

We need an A on our top pairing. (Keith)
We need a B on our 2nd Pairing (Hjalmersson)
The rest of the lineup we would prefer to have C's or above.

Yes. Failing to make the playoffs is still a failure.

If you score 20% on a test, and then your next test you score 48%, you still 'failed' despite a massive increase in your grade.

How does this not make sense?

IMO it seems like you're expecting a high school graduate to teach quantum mechanics.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
IMO it seems like you're expecting a high school graduate to teach quantum mechanics.

No. They only get an A if they can do advanced quantum mechanics, because more than 7% of the world can do the plain, old regular variety.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Everyone except McDavid: F

Finishing behind so many garbage teams is completely unacceptable.

Even Drais? Playing pivot? I felt he was the best player on the ice alot of times, even when he was in his slump.

Future bright with our Cs of McD and Drais. Now get two key D. Talbot. and fill it up

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
No. They only get an A if they can do advanced quantum mechanics, because more than 7% of the world can do the plain, old regular variety.

It's literally hard for me to wrap my head around it.

Take Hall being someone I did give a pretty low but passing mark, for example.

He was 5th in points among left wingers and only he and Benn played all 82 games among all of the top 5 guys there. Hall is notorious for missing a few games a year to injury but he went out and surpassed expectations by playing a full 82 game season.

Hall lead all left wingers in scoring 5 on 5.

I've by no means been a supporter of Hall but if you're going to fail him despite what good he did this year you may as well say that you want to totally nuke this team and go into another rebuild.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
McDavid - A
Hall - B-
Draisaitl - B+
Eberle - C
RNH - D
Yakupov - D
Maroon - A
Kassian - B-
Davidson - A
Klefbom - B
Nurse - C
Fayne - D
Nikitin - F
Talbot - B
Oesterle - C
Reinhart - C-
Ference - F
Gryba - C+
Nilsson - C
Broissoit - C-
Hendricks - B+
Letestu - C
Korpikoski - C
Lander - F
Pakirenen - C
Sekera - B-
Pouliot - B-

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal

Grading Nurse relative to All NHL Dmen is easy. Which is what a grade is.

Your method is complicated:
Grading Nurse based on contract status with experience factor throwing in draft pedigree, cap hit, age, future contract arbitration status with a side of whatever arbitary expectations you had of him, and injury factor.

Grades of NHL players should be held to the standards of NHL players. And nothing more.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Players who met or exceeded my (pretty low) expectations
McDavid - I guess folks who watch junior hockey weren't shocked by what he did this year, but wow I sure was.
Talbot - I like him. The way he picked himself up when Nilsson took his job, and just battled harder. He still had a half dozen games I bet he'd like to have a redo on, but I think he proved he has the mental toughness. That last game was super weak though, bet he feels bad about that.
Draisaitl - many people were calling this kid a bust. He was in heaps of trade proposals last offseason. I imagine he feels very good about the season he had. Lots of things to work on but him and Hall had some awesome plays this year. Lot of the Oilers fortunes hinge on this kid.
Hendricks - can't ask for much more from the old warrior. Ask Nurse how the boys feel about Hendricks. Just make sure to ask nicely :sarcasm:
Maroon - man I hope that wasn't a mirage. :amazed:
Davidson - see above.

Players who needed to be better
RNH - injured again. Some will make up names to mock him for being born slight of frame, and we can all agree that is childish, but tbh it is getting to be a question mark surrounding his game. Is he big enough and strong enough to play as a top center in this conference without sustaining injuries or seeing his point production plummet? An awful lot has been asked of this player at a very young age. I sure hope he doesn't join the pile of players the Oilers broke.
Pouliot - injured, and not particularly effective when he wasn't. Not a fan of this player at all. We already have soft scoring. Pouliot has the frame and the weight to be a physical contributor but plays softer than anybody. Iif I was Chiarelli I'd be looking to upgrade for sure.
Eberle - injured, not good enough. He should have cleared thirty goals easy this year. He flat out missed too many chances. I feel this player is as close as you get to a lock for 35/35 playing with McDavid next year, and as easy as some posters seem to think that is to come by, I'd rather hold onto the bird in the hand. I wouldn't trade him unless I got exactly what I wanted.
Sekera - shift after shift in the final Canucks game you can just watch this guy stick handle the puck into a wall of Canuck defenders. He gets credit for improving a bit as the season went on, but he had too many games in which he cost the team. Don't like him on the PP at all. Has no shot. I mean he needs to be better in a lot of areas.
Hall - can't disappear for long stretches in the NHL without having people call you out. I feel for him because he must be living under crushing pressure with all the losing, yet for all the flak he takes about his character, body language etc, in every interview I saw this year he seemed smart, polite and sincere. Again, I wouldn't trade him unless I got exactly what I wanted.
Yakupov - injured, should have been better. Had plenty of PP time all year. Wasn't even getting chances. On the plus side it seems toward the end of the year McLellan was finally getting him to understand the basics of where to be as a winger in the NHL. It rubs me the wrong way that he asks for a trade again. Team is obviously looking to move you Nail, why not just tell your agent to keep his pie hole shut and let the offseason shake out?

Guys like Korspe and Letestu and Gryba were just filler anyway. I guess they were OK given their limited abilities.
Pakarinen and Kassian were decent but certainly replaceable.
We didn't finish 29th because of the shortcomings of these guys.

And then there was Lander.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
See.

Now I never said he didn't have an impact. Just not as much as some of the best players in the NHL... Yet. Plus he got my highest mark on the team.

It's always been fairly well known that most people who follow hockey have a "what have you done for me recently" thought process.

Both Talbot and Klefbom played incredibly well to finish off their seasons. Doesn't change they were bad to start the year.

Next year if we have to wait 20 or more games again, for either of these players we will be in big trouble.

Look at Klefboms underlying numbers this year. They are terrible. Among the worst on the team. That's because he played that bad to start the year.

I think people forget or willingly ignore how bad their favorites did to start the year.

Wasn't McDavid in on 48% of the teams goals in the games that he played? Pretty sure that is the highest percentage in the league. He did that as a rookie, first adjusting to the NHL from junior and then coming back from a significant injury that immobilized his upper body for two months. He came back and took a regular shift on the PK even at the end of the year and plays an excellent two way game as a rookie. Do you honestly think he could have had a bigger impact? And what players in the league had a bigger impact on their team than him besides Kane?

I believe you have false or unrealistic beliefs or opinions when it comes to McDavid's season and the impact that he had.

vincent1999

May 5, 2014
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug
It is black and white.

That's how grading works, and its how it has always worked.

Actually, grading isn’t as simple as Perfect_Drug suggests it to be. There is standards based grading, also grading on a curve etc. Besides the 4.0 GPA scale, there is also a 4.5 GPA scale, a stanine system (1 to 9) etc etc. Percentages and letter grade are related in various ways to the numerical grade point. And in each system, grades can be allocated based on a normal distribution, a “bell curveâ€, or any asymmetrical non-proportional method that the administrator deems appropriate. A missing assignment, like missing games for a player, can be awarded a grade of zero, although research indicates that this is contrary to “best practiceâ€, or not.
For example, the stanine system may employ a result ranking of 4%, 7%, 12%, 17%, 20%, 17%, 12%, 7%, and 4% for a stanine of 1 through 9, and with a corresponding stanine and letter grade of 0-3=F, 4+D, 5=C, 6=B-/C+, 7=B+/B, 8=A/A-, 9=A+. And a 4.0 GPA system might use 4.00 Excellent A, 3.50 Very good B+, 3.00 Good B, 2.50 Satisfactory C+, 2.00 Adequate C, 1.00 Marginal D, 0.00 Failure F, or a 12 letter grade and percentage range system as Perfect_Drug uses, or different system of measure.
Allocation of grades by normal distribution is entirely different than a percentage range for a given letter grade or numerical GPA or stanine.

In that every contributor has his or her own standard with respect to grading, comparison of the opinions is difficult, if not impossible. Also, it would be nice to establish some parameter(s) as how a grade is assigned for a player: an elite player (aka McDavid), a second/ third/ or fourth line forward, a top pairing defencemen, or a second/ third pairing defencemen, a rookie, a veteran, a veteran getting minimum league salary, or a veteran at $3 million/ year, a player returning from injury or playing at less than 100% for most of the year, or a player playing above (eg Letestu on the PP) or below (eg Yakupov on the 3rd or 4th line) the role that is suited to them etc etc.

Certainly, the “average†grade for players on the Oilers this season should reflect their final 29th place finish, and the games lost to injury throughout the year (particularly, as applies to significant players). Whatever grade is “adequateâ€, let’s say a C, the Oilers as a whole didn’t meet expectations, so their average should be less by a grade (C-) or two (D+). Also, the Oilers shouldn’t have been expected to lead the league in points or have been competitive with elite level teams such as Washington/ Chicago etc. PC’s expectation of getting 82 points this past season, I think is a fair measurement of a grade of C for the team as a whole, and injuries probably interfered with achieving this modest standard. The Oilers get a grade of C- in my books.

As for individual players, should one compare players on the Oilers in terms of other players in the league and the similar role they play on their team, so, for instance, McDavid’s performance is compared with Crosby/ Toews and ALL other 1st line centers on other teams throughout the league, but with an adjustment for his being a rookie etc, and how about Sekera, a second pairing defencemen thrust into the role of a first pairing d-man, so some adjustment should be made for assessing his level of play due to the more difficult role that he was put into. Similarly, more should be expected of veterans with multiple years on the team than players such as Sekera coming in for their first stint with the Oilers—a period of acclimatization/ adjustment.

One item for thought is the following: I think one player in particular has gotten a bit of an unfair rap during his time with the Oilers, that being Yakupov. “Unfortunatelyâ€, he was the first overall selection in perhaps the weakest draft year, 2012, in the last twenty years. “Blue Bullet Report†suggests that in a normal draft year, Yak would have been drafted fifth or sixth overall. His development, undoubtedly, has been greatly impeded by not spending another year with his OHL team in Sarnia. Rushing prospects due to a lack of NHLveteran players in the lineup is perhaps the worst thing the Oilers have done since the year that they drafted Taylor Hall. Trading him now is just bad, bad asset management. I’d give him another year knowing that his future potential far exceeds what is probably being offered in trade. Just like Vancouver hung onto Hamhuis at the trade deadline cos the offers were just too weak, that’s the best move right now for the team and in terms of the respect that other GMs apply to the Oilers management. If other teams think you’re a “pansyâ€, well, they’ll take you to the cleaners forever and forever.

The highest grade (A) for an Oilers player this year goes to Draisaitl. Here’s a kid that had questionable skating skills last year, and wasn’t ready for the NHL. Over the summer, he made tremendous strides in that regard, and then paid some dues in the AHL to start the season, and then came up and performed amazingly well. Kudos to him. THE biggest surprise of the year for Oilers fans. Sure he and Hall tailed off after McDavid got hurt, but Drai came into the season with a lot of question marks as to the kind of player he could become, and at season’s end, he’s probably one of the few Oilers that is almost untradeable.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Wasn't McDavid in on 48% of the teams goals in the games that he played? Pretty sure that is the highest percentage in the league. He did that as a rookie, first adjusting to the NHL from junior and then coming back from a significant injury that immobilized his upper body for two months. He came back and took a regular shift on the PK even at the end of the year and plays an excellent two way game as a rookie. Do you honestly think he could have had a bigger impact? And what players in the league had a bigger impact on their team than him besides Kane?

I believe you have false or unrealistic beliefs or opinions when it comes to McDavid's season and the impact that he had.

I'm certainly being a bit harsh but he did only play half a season, not his fault of course but when grading him you should at least think about that. Plus he steadily improved his overall game but it started slow and he did have a few less than stellar nights as well. Face offs took him awhile and still need work. Like I said his impact while great is not quite among the big names yet.

IAGTTAYM

Dec 15, 2006
Talbot B+ Excellent, played better then I expected. Could have been an A if not for the start.
Nilsson D+ Good start, faded badly. Done in the NHL I assume?

Sekera C+ Not a $5.5M d-man. Frustrating to watch at times, but overall solid.
Nurse C- Thought about giving him a D+, but that is probably harsh. Played a lot, but didn't do well by the eye or by the numbers. Trade bait in my mind.
Gryba C- Limited, but he brought some size and strength. Ideally we find upgrades on D that would make him expendable.
Fayne C- Bad start, but when paired up with Sekera he did well. Would probably look to move him.
Reinhart C- Mobility will always be an issue, but he does some things well. In a similar position to Nurse, in that I'd be willing to move him in a package for an upgrade.
Klefbom C Started off slow, played better and then got injured. A shame, I thought it was going to be his breakout season.
Davidson B- The biggest surprise in my book. Very effective with the puck, makes good decisions with it almost every time. Good strength along the boards and solid positioning.
Clendening D+ If he was a better skater, maybe he'd be able to carve out a career in the NHL. As things stand, he can book a ticket to Europe.
Nikitin F Thanks MacT.
Oesterle C- Up and down, but did alright overall. I'd give him a new contract, ok option as a #8 on the depth chart.
Schultz D Looks better with less minutes in PIT, which shouldn't surprise anybody. Was in over his head from the start.
Pardy D+ Can't skate, but surprisingly good instincts offensively. I suppose he could be an option as a #7, but I'd probably let him go.

Hall B Excellent start, both him and Draisaitl faded badly.
Letestu D+ Shockingly poor 5v5, but looking at his career numbers i suspect it's a case of the Korpi triangle.
Draisaitl B- See Hall. Needs to improve physically to last a whole season.
Korpikoski D+ Can't make a play or cycle the puck. Ends up spending to much time in his own zone. Get rid.
Eberle C+ Puts up points, but he's a complimentary player making good $. Trade bait.
Hendricks C- Trooper, but he's very limited. Should be stapled on to the 4th line next season, and not be allowed to play in the top 9.
Pakarinen D+ Gives you an honest effort, but limited in terms of skills. Ideally we find an upgrade on him in the top 12.
Lander D- Very disappointing. Never thought he was going to amount to anything before Todd Nelson came into town. Crashed and burned this year, and should be on his way out.
Purcell C Decent complimentary player. Bad fit on this team.
Yakupov D+ A bad season. Hard to distinguish how much of it is his fault vs how he was deployed. Hard to succeed 5v5 when you play with our bottom six.
RNH C- Poor season and should be on the block.
Pouliot C+ Good player, still undervalued. Would not trade him unless there is a real return.
McDavid A Did alright, might have a future in the game. :sarcasm:
Kassian D+ Disappointing. He's got some skills but didn't produce points. I'd give him a new contract and hope for a bounce back next season.
Gazdic D- Expensive babysitter.
Maroon B+ Fantastic, the type of player that we've missed for a long time.
Khaira C- Decent, but I'd expect him to spend another year in the AHL.
Klinkhammer D Good in the AHL, but doesn't bring enough at the NHL level.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I'm certainly being a bit harsh but he did only play half a season, not his fault of course but when grading him you should at least think about that. Plus he steadily improved his overall game but it started slow and he did have a few less than stellar nights as well. Face offs took him awhile and still need work. Like I said his impact while great is not quite among the big names yet.

Can you name any player besides Kane who had a larger impact? He was above average defensively right from day one as well.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Would you say that Ghost didn't have a big impact in Philly because for a chunk of the season he wasn't playing in the NHL?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad