Post-Game Talk (GBU): Yeah, well, who won the War?

HockeyH3aven

Jan 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
Myers
Leopold
Sekera

At least one of these guys should see the press box tomorrow. Ennis was also horrid, throw my vote in with a Stafford - Grigs - Ennis line. Foligno has just been invisible so far.

VHP was our only offense but they also played **** defensively, got scored on a ton. They were taking really long shifts and kept getting caught on the ice when they were gassed.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
One game should not cause panic but we got the bounces in the first 2 games to win--not as if we were clear winners. Maybe Myers and Leopold can sit and Weber and Brennan take their places. Also--I think it is unfair to bench Grigs and not the older, experienced, higher priced players when they did the same. Grigs is there for offence-let him show what he can do with appropriate linemates or don"t bother-trade him now for what Ruff likes--Keith Aucoin!!:sarcasm: If I knew how to do the smiley thing I would....

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Bakes said:
Ruff's late-game use of Grigorenko is noteworthy. 5:49 of work in 3rd (3rd among Sabres forwards) after a combined 5:58 in 1st/2nd.

well

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Yeah, they sucked tonight. Bench'em all.

But I'm more curious to see how they respond tomorrow night. Their response will reveal way more about the character of this team than tonight's loss, IMO.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Enroth was so bad tonight...Miller would have made that game a 3-1 victory. Corner, corner, fivehole, corner...I would imagine that will quiet the "trade Miller" base for a while.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Enroth was so bad tonight...Miller would have made that game a 3-1 victory. Corner, corner, fivehole, corner...I would imagine that will quiet the "trade Miller" base for a while.

With that defense, it would have been close. Tonight was a total failure in defensive hockey.

MLH

Feb 6, 2003
I said it last season and hardly anyone agreed, but Myers' rookie season is looking more and more like the aberration.

It's going to be tough for Lindy not to ride Miller hard when Enroth hasn't won in 12 starts.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I said it last season and hardly anyone agreed, but Myers' rookie season is looking more and more like the aberration.

It's going to be tough for Lindy not to ride Miller hard when Enroth hasn't won in 12 starts.

I think part of the problem is he has been trying to become more physical and its not a natural part of his game. Things like looking for the big hit, engaging in board battles or is trying to constantly engage physically in and around the net are not his thing. When he was allowed to be more of an offensive dman and a positional defender (like Tallinder) in his rookie season, he was very productive.

But for that to happen again he needs a good mobile defensive dman with him. Jame was spot on when he said Myers was going to badly miss Tallinder.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Let Myers be who he wants to be. If that's his rookie year for the rest of his career I'd be ecstatic.

StlSwedes

Dec 3, 2009
Since production outside of VHP has been very low I think the team needs to simplify things. Get pucks to the net. Do not force shots. Shoot it wide from the point and look for deflection/rebound off the boards as opposed to trying to make the perfect shot into a knee pad.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY

I've been saying the same thing about Myers for near enough to two years now. He's our Barrett Jackman.

MLH

Feb 6, 2003
I think part of the problem is he has been trying to become more physical and its not a natural part of his game. Things like looking for the big hit, engaging in board battles or is trying to constantly engage physically in and around the net are not his thing. When he was allowed to be more of an offensive dman and a positional defender (like Tallinder) in his rookie season, he was very productive.

But for that to happen again he needs a good mobile defensive dman with him. Jame was spot on when he said Myers was going to badly miss Tallinder.

Not that I disagree with you, but it's pretty concerning when things like "engaging in board battles" cause a supposedly franchise caliber defenseman to look like he should be scratched.

In my opinion, he's had more and longer stretches of brutal play since his rookie year than above average play. He's got the natural ability to turn it around, but if he doesn't, his contract will be extremely hard to deal with.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

blind squirrel / nut

cut it out, you're gonna ruin my reputation :sarcasm:;)

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
You still think Sekera is the best fit for now?

he's the best, and only fit

the moment we started the season with regehr-myers, i knew it was going to be another season struggling through lindy's daft assessments.

remember, it took him 5 years to put pommer/vanek together :facepalm:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Not that I disagree with you, but it's pretty concerning when things like "engaging in board battles" cause a supposedly franchise caliber defenseman to look like he should be scratched.

In my opinion, he's had more and longer stretches of brutal play since his rookie year than above average play. He's got the natural ability to turn it around, but if he doesn't, his contract will be extremely hard to deal with.

I think you're forgetting how reckless and aggressive offensively he was his rookie season. Its why he was so productive. Getting to that point total he led the entire NHL in giveaways his rookie year with 94. He's actually had far less the two seasons after that with 67 and 44 in 55gms last year (roughly a 67 giveaway pace for a full season). He got away with that aggression because Tallinder covered for him as did Miller who was having a great season. But Myers is no where near as reckless and turnover prone now as he was as a rookie.

What I mean with board battles not being his game is this. His rookie year he would play a positional defensive game in our zone to deny passing options and try to close down opposing players. He was pretty good at it with that wingspan. But now he gives up that advantage by moving closer to an opposing player to engage in a board battle and its led to worse d-zone play by Myers.

Ruff needs to let Myers get back to the recklessly attacking offensive dman he was in his rookie year and stop trying to turn him into Chris Pronger.

Last edited:

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I think you're forgetting how reckless and aggressive offensively he was his rookie season. Its why he was so productive. Getting to that point total he led the entire NHL in giveaways his rookie year with 94. He's actually had far less the two seasons after that with 67 and 44 in 55gms last year (roughly a 67 giveaway pace for a full season). He got away with that aggression because Tallinder covered for him as did Miller who was having a great season. But Myers is no where near as reckless and turnover prone now as he was as a rookie.

What I mean with board battles not being his game is this. His rookie year he would play a positional defensive game in our zone to deny passing options and try to close down opposing players. He was pretty good at it with that wingspan. But now he gives up that advantage by moving closer to an opposing player to engage in a board battle and its led to worse d-zone play by Myers.

Ruff needs to let Myers get back to the recklessly aggressive attacking offensive dman he was in his rookie year and stop trying to turn him into Chris Pronger. I don't think its in him.

I agree 100% with the bolded... and that aggression/change in style, has limited his ability to counter attack as often... which was his greatest strength

they should've let him continue developing into Scott Niedermayer +1 foot

but... lindy ruff

sba

Mar 25, 2004
Buffalo, NY
he's the best, and only fit

the moment we started the season with regehr-myers, i knew it was going to be another season struggling through lindy's daft assessments.

remember, it took him 5 years to put pommer/vanek together :facepalm:

And Leo/RR has been a good pair before for us and even back in CGY.

I agree 100% with the bolded... and that aggression/change in style, has limited his ability to counter attack as often... which was his greatest strength

they should've let him continue developing into Scott Niedermayer +1 foot

but... lindy ruff

I didn't want to say it, but yeah. I blame Ruff for Myers' woes.

Luceni

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2006
Austria
I'm a bit worried.

It seems to be, that our first line and Miller have to do all by themself. No secondary scoring, not much help from the so called defense for the goalie neither. Besides Enroth didn't have one of his better nights....

Hope they go out and play hard fot a win tomorrow. Get at least one point tomorrow. stay ovver .500...

Ted Black

May 23, 2011
I don't think it was as bad as some of you make it out. Our D was terrible though.

We're not going to win every game. The Hurricanes were playing desperate hockey and while we didn't match that effort, we gave a much more solid effort than we would have in years past, IMO. I'm not too worried. Canes were playing like it was game 7. Myers is really starting to irritate me though, as is Ennis.

We'll be fine. It kind of drives me nuts how emotional this board gets. Win a couple and we're a contender. Lose one and a lot of posters are ready to blow it up. :lol:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad