Post-Game Talk (GBU): Yeah, well, who won the War?

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
I'm not sure I can fault him on the first one either. That was a sick backhander by Skinner.....and Enroth's only issue stopping that one is that maybe he was too short. I'm not sure Miller gets that one.
If he was square to the shot on that one he makes the save. The puck actually glances off of his shoulder before it went in. It was a nice backhand, sure, but there really shouldn't have been anywhere to go once Skinner had to reach for the loose puck and committed to the backhand side of the net.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Wow, Myers is taking a beating.
I don't think he deserves it.

Has he been great? No.
Has he been the Sabres worst defenseman? I'm not so sure.
Can he be better? Absolutely.

Last night he still made some plays that nobody else on that blue line could make. Long reach pokes, some coast to coast rushes, and he absolutely wrecked a Hurricane in the corner (during final pk). I thought it might have been the best hit of the hit night, but I never saw the replay.

All and all, he was -1.

I'm not worried about Myers... yet.
I agree with you. I think his long reach/huge body make him stick out a bit more when he gets himself into positioning troubles (for example his 2nd penalty last night) but overall he's still been an effective defenseman this year.

I also don't think you'll ever see teams let him do the things he did during his first year with the Sabres. He was an unknown quantity then, and with his unique skill set I don't think teams were expecting him to be able to move and rush the puck as a big man the way he did. Now the secret's out, so to speak, and teams are gameplanning and aware and taking that away.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I agree with you. I think his long reach/huge body make him stick out a bit more when he gets himself into positioning troubles (for example his 2nd penalty last night) but overall he's still been an effective defenseman this year.

I also don't think you'll ever see teams let him do the things he did during his first year with the Sabres. He was an unknown quantity then, and with his unique skill set I don't think teams were expecting him to be able to move and rush the puck as a big man the way he did. Now the secret's out, so to speak, and teams are gameplanning and aware and taking that away.

very good point... not raised often enough

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I'm not sure I can fault him on the first one either. That was a sick backhander by Skinner.....and Enroth's only issue stopping that one is that maybe he was too short. I'm not sure Miller gets that one.

If Miller does get it, it's only because he fills up more net when he's down. It was a great shot. I'm not faulting Enroth on that one, but he was pretty terrible in general.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad