Value of: Yaroslav Askarov to SJ

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Askarov is Nashville's top prospect, we wouldn't be moving him for lesser prospects/players. A San Jose fan is asking for his price, Nashville isn't looking to trade him.
I actually specifically said in this thread that it would be fair for Nashville to ask for Smith. I’m responding to a post that implied the Preds would be doing SJ a favor to trade us Askarov for Smith.

Perhaps I misunderstood the post. But the fact of the matter is that Smith’s value is on another level from Askarov’s, simply because goaltenders are not particularly valuable.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Preds have no reason to move this player today so they’d set their price high and see of someone got there. In this case, it’s San Jose calling them. So set your ask and be patient.

No reason to do San Jose a favor and make a deal that works well for San Jose at Nashvilles expense.
There's no way he returns a Celebrini/ # 1 pick overall. Those don't get traded

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
So basically if Nashville asked the price of Smith we could say Josi, Forsberg, and Askarov? Cause that’s your logic in this post. Nashville asked we can say whatever we want!
If that's how you value Smith. We value Askarov as highly as you guys do Smith, so we can't a top prospect in return.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
If that's how you value Smith. We value Askarov as highly as you guys do Smith, so we can't a top prospect in return.
Slight amendment, but in the same vein, I do think Smith is more valuable than Askarov, but I don't think we would trade Asky for less than a Smith type player. Hence, there's no deal to be made here, both sides move on.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
There's no way he returns a Celebrini/ # 1 pick overall. Those don't get traded
That's obvious. But why would Nashville aim low with San Jose on this? They'd set a big ask and hold. Other than that pick or the 1st in 2025 or Will Smith, whom are all off the table IMO... what does San Jose have to offer? Not much that would cause Nashville to make this deal.

San Jose's prospect pools falls a huge amount from Smith to the next guy. Musty? No way Musty would be enough to make Nashville trade a young goalie of his caliber.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
That's obvious. But why would Nashville aim low with San Jose on this? They'd set a big ask and hold. Other than that pick or the 1st in 2025 or Will Smith, whom are all off the table IMO... what does San Jose have to offer? Not much that would cause Nashville to make this deal.
You'd have to ask the OP what he had in mind
SJ didn't make the trade pre-draft when the Preds were including a 1st.
SJ has the Pens 24 or 25 1st as well.

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
Trotz was ready to do it for the Smith pick in the summer. But I doubt he's as ready now... Askarov has taken a very nice step in his development this season, and at the same time as Saros has faltered. They'll still sign Saros. But not to as generous a deal as was previously perhaps on the table. And with Askarov breathing down his neck a little more aggressively. A trade won't happen.
plus our 7th round pick from last year is producing similar numbers to Señor Smith with no supporting cast

• Haha
Reactions: Groo

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
To Buffalo for Mittelstadt….

If today’s speculation is true, and Buffalo doesn’t want to pay Mittelstadt, doesn’t see him as a core piece, and is actively shopping him for a goaltender?? A base for this trade makes sense.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
To Buffalo for Mittelstadt….

If today’s speculation is true, and Buffalo doesn’t want to pay Mittelstadt, doesn’t see him as a core piece, and is actively shopping him for a goaltender?? A base for this trade makes sense.
I would think saros would make more sense, Buffalo already has two really young goalies.

Last edited:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Id rather keep askarov and send you saros personally
Even Askarov doesn't make sense for the Sharks to target right now. Saros should not be a target at all. He would literally hurt us both now and long term. Now because of the assets we'd have to give up for him. Long term because he makes us better now, which is contrary to what the team is doing.

Long story short, no thank you.

Reactions: Gecklund

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
don't understand how people don't believe Askarov would be a great fit for SJ he would be a rookie next year, you would expect him to have growing pains in his first couple of years. I wouldn't expect him to step into the NHL and be a 920+ save percentage guy. and beyond next season SJ should be starting to try and move up the standings so I don't see why Askarov wouldn't be the perfect fit long term for SJ

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
don't understand how people don't believe Askarov would be a great fit for SJ he would be a rookie next year, you would expect him to have growing pains in his first couple of years. I wouldn't expect him to step into the NHL and be a 920+ save percentage guy. and beyond next season SJ should be starting to try and move up the standings so I don't see why Askarov wouldn't be the perfect fit long term for SJ
It's not enough to just be a great fit. The sort of pieces the Sharks would need to trade to get Askarov is something they simply cannot afford.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
The price would be too high, they're better off drafting goalies now in the late rounds and keep drafting high pieces.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
The price would be too high, they're better off drafting goalies now in the late rounds and keep drafting high pieces.
It's not enough to just be a great fit. The sort of pieces the Sharks would need to trade to get Askarov is something they simply cannot afford.

I didn't say nothing about the cost for a reason. he would fit the age and trajectory of SJ perfectly. there's been multiple people in this thread suggesting otherwise.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Which posts are you referring to?

these

Shouldn't you guys focus on tanking? Why trade for a good goalie rn. Embrace the tank for a couple of years. Askarov would be better for a contender or soon to be contender who needs a high upside goalie.
So the Sharks strategy is to emulate the 2013-2019 Devils and have a good goalie (Schneider) put you in no mans land in the standings.
Even Askarov doesn't make sense for the Sharks to target right now. Saros should not be a target at all. He would literally hurt us both now and long term. Now because of the assets we'd have to give up for him. Long term because he makes us better now, which is contrary to what the team is doing.

Long story short, no thank you.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I didn't say nothing about the cost for a reason. he would fit the age and trajectory of SJ perfectly. there's been multiple people in this thread suggesting otherwise.
He would and it's smart to build from the net out, but they're better off finding another goalie because it's going to cost them a high value asset they could use on another player.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Askarov would be fantastic in SJ and I would love to have him. He is, coincidentally, very good friends with Mukhamadullin.

But we can’t afford to move the assets it would take to land Askarov. That’s the point. If Nashville were willing to move him for like Bystedt and Pittsburgh’s 1st, I would be all over that, but they rightfully wouldn’t.

Reactions: Gecklund

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
He would and it's smart to build from the net out, but they're better off finding another goalie because it's going to cost them a high value asset they could use on another player.

but isn't that kind of a contradictory? I mean if building from the net out is smart wouldn't paying the price for a long term solution actually be the smart move?

let me just say I believe goalies are wildly inconsistent and don't believe in paying big prices for them both in terms of trade and contract value. but if you believe in the building from the net out strategy, I don't see why you would use the assets for a different position. fill the goalie position long term and then worry about the rest.

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
What they mean is the Sharks have plenty of time to throw stuff at the wall until something sticks for finding their goalie of the future. No reason to spend premium assets on one at this point.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
but isn't that kind of a contradictory? I mean if building from the net out is smart wouldn't paying the price for a long term solution actually be the smart move?

let me just say I believe goalies are wildly inconsistent and don't believe in paying big prices for them both in terms of trade and contract value. but if you believe in the building from the net out strategy, I don't see why you would use the assets for a different position. fill the goalie position long term and then worry about the rest.
I think that depends on how highly the value their top prospects, they picked Smith 4th, to turn around and trade him after a year for a goalie would be signaling a different direction for the one they just started. They can get a goalie without moving their guys they've already got penciled in as core guys.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don't think those are arguing that he wouldn't be a fit per se. They're arguing that he'd be such a fit as to improve their place in the standings thereby worsening their pick value. It's more strategic in how you approach the rebuild than saying Askarov wouldn't be a good fit.

The Sharks are at a point where they need to draft considerably well in quality and quantity to put a good young quality team together. They have two top six forwards under 25, no top four quality defensemen under 25, and both their goalies are UFA age at this stage.

Then when you look at their prospect pool, they have to be generous five top-six potential forwards, maybe two top four potential defensemen, and really nothing in net under contract. On their reserve list, they have maybe two top six potential forwards and maybe three top four potential defensemen. That's all probably on the generous side with very large potential for numerous failures because only Eklund and Zetterlund have shown to be capable NHL'ers at a high level. Smith, Musty, and Mukhamadullin are the only ones that seem to be good odds to be part of the answer in the future.

The Sharks need a lot more answers for the future internally before they can call pieces that would need to be available to get a guy like Askarov expendable. The results of the team is clearly not good enough to go out and nab a guy like him that will make your team better. But doing so without it being a solid bet to actually make the playoffs and compete is how you end up in situations like Ottawa taking a chance with DeBrincat and then having to move him because the team isn't as good as you think it is.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
What they mean is the Sharks have plenty of time to throw stuff at the wall until something sticks for finding their goalie of the future. No reason to spend premium assets on one at this point.
Exactly, Nashville got Rinne, Saros, Ingram and Vejelmaka without spending higher than a 4th.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
I don't think those are arguing that he wouldn't be a fit per se. They're arguing that he'd be such a fit as to improve their place in the standings thereby worsening their pick value. It's more strategic in how you approach the rebuild than saying Askarov wouldn't be a good fit.

The Sharks are at a point where they need to draft considerably well in quality and quantity to put a good young quality team together. They have two top six forwards under 25, no top four quality defensemen under 25, and both their goalies are UFA age at this stage.

Then when you look at their prospect pool, they have to be generous five top-six potential forwards, maybe two top four potential defensemen, and really nothing in net under contract. On their reserve list, they have maybe two top six potential forwards and maybe three top four potential defensemen. That's all probably on the generous side with very large potential for numerous failures because only Eklund and Zetterlund have shown to be capable NHL'ers at a high level. Smith, Musty, and Mukhamadullin are the only ones that seem to be good odds to be part of the answer in the future.

The Sharks need a lot more answers for the future internally before they can call pieces that would need to be available to get a guy like Askarov expendable. The results of the team is clearly not good enough to go out and nab a guy like him that will make your team better. But doing so without it being a solid bet to actually make the playoffs and compete is how you end up in situations like Ottawa taking a chance with DeBrincat and then having to move him because the team isn't as good as you think it is.

I don't see how Askarov is a guy whose going to improve there standings next season. if he makes the NHL he will be a rookie what would you expect from a rookie goalie? I would expect him to be inconsistent. I would think the argument that playing behind a bad team would be bad for his development holds more merit then him coming into the team and standing on his head and winning SJ games as a rookie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad