Value of: Yaroslav Askarov to SJ

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don't see how Askarov is a guy whose going to improve there standings next season. if he makes the NHL he will be a rookie what would you expect from a rookie goalie? I would expect him to be inconsistent. I would think the argument that playing behind a bad team would be bad for his development holds more merit then him coming into the team and standing on his head and winning SJ games as a rookie.
Well that depends on if one feels like Askarov would live up to his elite billing or not. If he's inconsistent and playing behind a team that loses a lot, it sort of degrades the appeal to trade for such a goalie, doesn't it? If he does live up to his elite billing which goalies of that caliber can do almost regardless of the team in front of them, he can pretty easily swing a handful of games or more in the team's favor and add more points to their standings. Doing so in a lot of drafts drops you from a potential pick of an elite prospect to a pick of prospects from the tier below.

Either scenario doesn't seem to be a good move for a rebuilding club that still needs a lot more young skaters to be future core pieces before worrying that much about goaltending.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Before you try to cite me as an example for your point... Maybe it's best to clarify my position. If we're talking Askarov, I'm not saying he doesn't fit our team. I'm saying now is not the time to target him. If we're talking Saros, never is the right time to target him. He simply will not fit our timeline. My long post was about Saros, not Askarov. Let's be clear and not disingenuous.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Nashville should not trade askarov at all unless it’s a clear overpayment like smith or musty and Mukhamadullin which would be dumb by San Jose. San Jose is building their team correctly. Has a really good chance to get Celebrini and have him and smith down the middle for years would be a solid 1-2. Have there been any talk of possibly trading hertl?

Last edited:

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
SJ trading Smith (+) for Askarov would confirm Seravalli's GM ranking, at least for Grier's position.

Makes no sense from the Sharks' perspective.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Askarov would be fantastic in SJ and I would love to have him. He is, coincidentally, very good friends with Mukhamadullin.

But we can’t afford to move the assets it would take to land Askarov. That’s the point. If Nashville were willing to move him for like Bystedt and Pittsburgh’s 1st, I would be all over that, but they rightfully wouldn’t.
I think we can circle back to this at the draft, depending on where the PIT's pick is.

If it is, say top-10, then I would be very interested in that pick + Bystedt/Musty for Askarov.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Well that depends on if one feels like Askarov would live up to his elite billing or not. If he's inconsistent and playing behind a team that loses a lot, it sort of degrades the appeal to trade for such a goalie, doesn't it? If he does live up to his elite billing which goalies of that caliber can do almost regardless of the team in front of them, he can pretty easily swing a handful of games or more in the team's favor and add more points to their standings. Doing so in a lot of drafts drops you from a potential pick of an elite prospect to a pick of prospects from the tier below.

Either scenario doesn't seem to be a good move for a rebuilding club that still needs a lot more young skaters to be future core pieces before worrying that much about goaltending.

as a rookie? it's like you believe there will be no development on his part. that he's entering the league like a good #1 goalie. why would you expect that? I expect inconsistency in the first couple of years as he gets used to playing in the NHL. from there he should develop into an Elite goalie if he hits his potential not sure how or why you think in year one with 3 NHL games to his name right now he would step in and be great or he wont be the goalie everyone thought he'd be.

the point of acquiring Askarov would be that he would grow as the team gets better in front of him so that by the time there ready to compete in 3-4 years he will be through most of his development stage.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
as a rookie? it's like you believe there will be no development on his part. that he's entering the league like a good #1 goalie. why would you expect that? I expect inconsistency in the first couple of years as he gets used to playing in the NHL. from there he should develop into an Elite goalie if he hits his potential not sure how or why you think in year one with 3 NHL games to his name right now he would step in and be great or he wont be the goalie everyone thought he'd be.

the point of acquiring Askarov would be that he would grow as the team gets better in front of him so that by the time there ready to compete in 3-4 years he will be through most of his development stage.
Of course there will be development but plenty of rookie goalies compete for the Calder trophy. They can get results their first year too. Stuart Skinner was a finalist for Edmonton last year. Askarov is plenty capable of doing something similar.

I understand the concept of growth over time but this sort of player is one I would target after my rebuild has identified a core of skaters in front of the goalie that can actually be competitive regardless of goaltending then get a guy that fits.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Since Askarov was offered at the draft last summer, Saros has taken a sizeable step back and Askarov has progressed substantially. It would take a ridiculous overpay to get Askarov now.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
even the best goalies aren't worth spending significant assets on. Zero chance you're getting Smith or even Musty for Askarov.

We essentially spent 2 firsts for Martin Jones. Yeah he took us to the Cup Final and was a big part of that run, but he turned into dogshit after that and never was worth spending 2 1sts on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad