Injury Report: Yamamoto and McLeod to IR; Benson and Hamblin recalled

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I Hope for the best, but past performance of our drafting/development tells me to expect little to nothing. They don't have a single player drafted after McDavid that you could say is having even a mediocre season. Every single one of them has been having a disappointing season.

1. Jesse
2. Yamamoto
3. Mcleod
4. Bouchard
5. Broberg
6. Niemelainen

That's 6 players they drafted and developed and the best I can say of any of them this year is.. mmm meh.

I didn't think I'd be feeling this way 2 months ago. I was excited. I didn't think they'd all have good or great seasons. But I didn't think they'd all to a player shit the bed either.
McLeod doesn't belong with that group, at all.

But yeah, the support players outside of McLeod and Foegele haven't provided much support. Hopefully this was a season turning game for Bouchard because he had regressed this season up until that point and the Oilers need him to be MUCH better.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Rough all around. I'm not happy with Yamo's start, but I'm getting worried about him, he's been out nearly a month right?

And hopefully it's not serious with McLeod.

Hearsay is that he never really recovered from the Landeskog cheap shot during the playoffs and then the preaseason reaggravated it or something

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
McLeod doesn't belong with that group, at all.

But yeah, the support players outside of McLeod and Foegele haven't provided much support. Hopefully this was a season turning game for Bouchard because he had regressed this season up until that point and the Oilers need him to be MUCH better.

I am shocked Mcleod is in that group. I had a lot of high hopes for him and still do.

But in the context of what have they done in 20 games this year. Mcleod has been a ghost for over half the games. Had a nice start then poof dissapeared after 5 games in.. had a nice 3rd against the Rangers but one nice period doesn't absolve you of 15 games as caspar the friendly ghost.

I'm not even saying it's a problem with the drafting and development. It's more of a statement with how the team is playing on a whole. The support cast isn't doing a thing to help this team win right now. But hey they did last game and I'm hoping like hell it's a sign of things changing.

There's definitely something wrong with the dynamic of the team in this first 20 games of the season. Mood, Confidence, health... I don't know. All I know is each game there's a few players having off games costing points. No one is considered having a good season to be honest with the exception of a few players.

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
Pretty sure Hamblin was better than Benson during the pre season iirc.

I just think Tyler is a nothing player. Some thought he was decent in the pre season but I thought even that looked meh.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Wouldn't be an Oilers season without a spate of long-term injuries hitting all at once.

All of our depth disintegrates randomly right before an "easy" part of the schedule as well.

Nothing ever just "works" for this organization does it?

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I suppose Holloway will take McLeod’s spot at 3c while he’s out.
I wonder if they move Ryan to 3C. Maybe Brad Malone at 4C. Solidify the bottom six with veteran pivots and build around that.

Holloway more likely to stick at wing right now. Who knows with the injury hit this team has they might even gamble moving him into top six W to leverage his size, speed and puck hunting looking for some momentum from his solid Rangers game and first goal.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
To bad Cloud went down. Oilers best sub 1st round pick in... godawful 10 years.

I guess there will be the AHL line of Benson Hamblin Malone.

Fogele Holloway Puljujärvi feels... ehh.
MacLeod was the glue on that line

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I wonder if they move Ryan to 3C. Maybe Brad Malone at 4C. Solidify the bottom six with veteran pivots and build around that.

Holloway more likely to stick at wing right now. Who knows with the injury hit this team has they might even gamble moving him into top six W to leverage his size, speed and puck hunting looking for some momentum from his solid Rangers game and first goal.
I wonder who of Benson and Hamblin will play. As you said, I forgot Ryan, he will play 3C.
Holloway Ryan Puljujärvi. Thats at least exciting.

Fogele Hamblin Malone

OilynutEsquire

Sep 24, 2021

Id much rather see Holloway at 3c.

Foegel-Holloway-Kostin
Hamblin-Malone-Ryan

Reactions: Oilhawks

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto

It might be a good idea to give Holloway a long look at left wing in the top 6 if that’s where they see him long term.

Either way, hoping he is given a bigger opportunity so he can build off last game. The worst thing would be to continue playing him <10 mins with bottom 6 players.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal

Foegel-Holloway-Kostin
Hamblin-Malone-Ryan
christine-taylor-puking.gif

Best I can wish for is that they don't get carved in for more than 3 goals per game.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

Foegel-Holloway-Kostin
Hamblin-Malone-Ryan
I'm a big booster of Holloway and to see him moved around the line-up as he works to establish himself with a consistent, responsible NHL game. I liked his brief audition at 4C. Throwing him into 3C on a wildly erratic team that's underperforming is too big a step. A wobbly Oilers team needs to stabilize itself throughout the lineup right now - we've seen Woodcroft consistently look for veterans in key situations and circumstances - I think they opt for Ryan's trusted experience in a key role.

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021

Foegel-Holloway-Kostin
Hamblin-Malone-Ryan
Foegele is out as well. At least that's what i got from Jack michaels tweet..

Holloway probably slides to 3rd LW while Shore is the 3rd line center. Pretty brutal lol

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
It might be a good idea to give Holloway a long look at left wing in the top 6 if that’s where they see him long term.

Either way, hoping he is given a bigger opportunity so he can build off last game. The worst thing would be to continue playing him <10 mins with bottom 6 players.
Agree with your pov. You can likely 'hide' Holloway with either veteran top six pairing, McDavid/Draisaitl or Nugent Hopkins/Hyman, and might help to get him going. Stabilizing the bottom six, especially the third line with veterans while onboarding AHL call-ups on 4th line. Forgot about Shore, he most likely draws in at 4C.

Foegele-Ryan-Janmark
Benson-Shore/Malone- Kostin

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
Ya, that is one suspect bottom 6. Either the big boys step up tonight and produce, or this one could get ugly.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Saw an interview with Yamo, made it seem like he was coming back soon and now he’s off on IR.

Saw Mcleod score 3 points, made it seem like his season was about to take off and now he’s off on IR.

Yes, more something in the water type things.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Saw an interview with Yamo, made it seem like he was coming back soon and now he’s off on IR.

Saw Mcleod score 3 points, made it seem like his season was about to take off and now he’s off on IR.

Yes, more something in the water type things.

Yamo was placed on IR retroactively just so they could get Hamblin up in place of Foegele for tonight I believe. He (Kailer) should draw in soon.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Two bottom 6 players and Kane injured and they have to play some AHL call ups. Shouldn’t shock anyone, but here, you never know

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
All of our depth disintegrates randomly right before an "easy" part of the schedule as well.

Nothing ever just "works" for this organization does it?
Adversity builds character. Character (As well as solid organizational depth)wins championships.

They seem to be taking the more difficult path for sure. ;)

They need to string a few solid performances together, with full 60 minute effort and consistency, for their own benefit. Getting wins would be icing on the cake.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad