Yakushev... inducted HHOF(!)... NOT Mikhailov, Vasiliev, Firsov, Kasatonov,...

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Inducted are Tretiak, Tarasov, Fetisov, Larionov, Makarov, Kharlamov, yet ...

From ATD 2018, the all-time greats draft here on HfBoards for a decade and a half:

77. rmartin65 - New York Americans - Boris Mikhailov, RW
81. Johnny Engine - Guards Athletic Association - Valeri Vasiliev, D
86. Habsfan18 - Vancouver Millionares - Anatoli Firsov, LW
106. Darth Yoda - Pominville Estacades - Alexei Kasatonov, D
144. TheDevilMadeMe & Dreakmur - New Jersey Swamp Devils - Alexander Maltsev, C/RW

Plus,... Krutov, Kostantinov, not to mention a few higher drafted Czechoslovakian (Martinec leads the crew) and pre-NHL greats.

Then, after all of those, the all-time draft GM's drafted - as usual - a Russian great (whom the NHL HHOF thiinks better than all the forementioned)...

182. Habsfan18 - Vancouver Millionares - Alexander Yakushev, LW

Big Yak:

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Kharlamov is in. The point is accurate though, there are other Soviet forwards that should be in before Yakushev.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yeah, lots of ? hall choices yesterday. Yakushev did have a good career but I would have put Mikhailov in before him.

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
Jakushev might be more memorable to Canada? Mihailov will never get in, same for couple other soviets. Too red I think. Where's Tihonov otherwise?

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Jakushev might be more memorable to Canada? Mihailov will never get in, same for couple other soviets. Too red I think. Where's Tihonov otherwise?

Tikhonov is not getting into the Hockey Hall of Fame. He's in the IIHF Hall of Fame though

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Yeah, tell me about it. I was so busy yesterday (plus somewhat slow-witted!) that it actually took me some time to realise that he has really been inducted, and was not just a suggested candidate in the discussions.

The HHOF selection committee just has, er, different standards... It is de facto North American Hockey Hall of Fame, and that's that. But at least Makarov got in before him.

Last edited:

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
I can’t knock this selection too much. It’s not like he didn’t deserve it.

Maybe they’ll recognize others during later classes.

Reactions: Sentinel

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
I can’t knock this selection too much. It’s not like he didn’t deserve it.

In a vacuum, it's fine. However, this makes me somewhat worried that we might see, say, Vladimir Dzurilla inducted and not Jiri Holecek (because Dzurilla was "brilliant" at the 1976 CC and Holecek wasn't). But maybe I'm selling the committee a bit short here.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
It does make you wonder what the standard is..because these guys sure as hell are in no position to judge them on play in the Soviet league..so what is the specific reasoning and standard then? Good play in a short tournament?

To be honest with you they would have done themselves a favor by simply going for North American Hall of Fame and not trying their hand at the global game.

sqw3r

Dec 22, 2015
Saint P
I've written a long post on reddit about Yakushev's inclusion and while i agree than Mikhaylov was undisputedly a better player, Yakushev deserves to be in HHoF too. He's on par with Kharlamov and Maltsev as far as goals-to-games ratio goes (0,65), only Starshinov and Mikhaylov had a better ratio for soviet NT. His three soviet league wins are probably worth more than those 8-10 of cska players. But the main reason he's in HHoF over other soviet greats are '72 and '74 summit series, both times he was a leading scorer for USSR and NA voters love those series too much to pass on him.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
I am very happy about his inclusion and don't understand the outrage. What makes you think the Committee DIDN'T in fact look at his Soviet stats? It's not like he didn't deserve it. His clutch performances is a stuff of legend. His three titles as a member of Spartak are of very high value.

Firsov, Mikhailov, and Petrov are not far behind in the pecking order.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I am very happy about his inclusion and don't understand the outrage. What makes you think the Committee DIDN'T in fact look at his Soviet stats? It's not like he didn't deserve it. His clutch performances is a stuff of legend. His three titles as a member of Spartak are of very high value.

I understand your point, it's just that he's to Mikhailov what Mike Modano is to, I don't know, Forsberg?

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I've written a long post on reddit about Yakushev's inclusion and while i agree than Mikhaylov was undisputedly a better player, Yakushev deserves to be in HHoF too. He's on par with Kharlamov and Maltsev as far as goals-to-games ratio goes (0,65), only Starshinov and Mikhaylov had a better ratio for soviet NT. His three soviet league wins are probably worth more than those 8-10 of cska players. But the main reason he's in HHoF over other soviet greats are '72 and '74 summit series, both times he was a leading scorer for USSR and NA voters love those series too much to pass on him.

And his playing style was closer to Canadian hockey than the other great Soviet forwards.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.......

sqw3r

Dec 22, 2015
Saint P
The question is, what exactly puts Yakushev ahead of Mikhailov in the pecking order?

Is it really a question when the answer is obvious? Leading 2 summit series in scoring > achievements in other international tournaments and soviet league for NA voters. It's a shame but that's how it is.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Is it really a question when the answer is obvious? Leading 2 summit series in scoring > achievements in other international tournaments and soviet league for NA voters. It's a shame but that's how it is.

Right, that's exactly the reason he's in before Mikhailov et al. And that is also the only reason people are complaining. Yakushev deserves to be in the HOF, but there are others left who deserve it even more. My question was whether Sentinel himself thinks Yakushev deserves to be ahead of Mikhailov and if yes, then why.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I'm not a fan of the decision. They should choose whether they want to be a North American hall of fame or an international one, but not go for some half-arsed variant in between where European players are inducted randomly.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

sqw3r

Dec 22, 2015
Saint P
Right, that's exactly the reason he's in before Mikhailov et al. And that is also the only reason people are complaining. Yakushev deserves to be in the HOF, but there are others left who deserve it even more. My question was whether Sentinel himself thinks Yakushev deserves to be ahead of Mikhailov and if yes, then why.

Ah, yeah i don't believe there is a legit argument for Yak over Mikhaylov, Mikhaylov imo is the 3rd-4th best forward in the history of USSR/Russia after Makarov and Bobrov and on par with Ovi. Yakushev is probably 7th-10th.

Speaking of it, does Bobrov have a chance to get in after all the other great soviet players from the later times? Or is a quality of competition will be always held against him despite him being arguably the most important soviet hockey figure in the history?

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
I like it. He deserves to be in from a North American perspective...isn't this the mandate of this HHOF?

I also thought Big Yak deserved more recognition, so good for him.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Behind?

I am surprised that YOU put him ahead of the other three in the "pecking order". I think you misspoke. I hope you simply are trying to put a positive spin on one of them being inducted even if it isn't the most deserving one, and crossing fingers on more to come.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
The HHOF doesn't operate on a pecking order. In any given year, those named to the Hall are not necessarily the people who the Selection Committee thinks are the most worthy of all those eligible.

For example, the naming of Yakushev doesn't mean that the majority of the Selection Committee thinks that he is more deserving than Firsov, Mikhailov, Maltsev, Vasiliev, Kasatonov, etc. It simply means that somebody nominated him and he was therefore discussed and voted upon.

In order to be considered and voted upon, a player, builder or referee must be nominated by one or more member of the Committee. This happens in one of two ways. The first is on the initiative of one (or more) of the members of the Committee. The second is from a public submission, which then must be brought forward as a nomination, again by one (or more) of the members of the Committee.

The second method is what happened this year with Willie O'Ree. A group of people from Willie's hometown of Fredericton, NB, made a large submission to the Chair of the HHOF, the Chair then forwarded a copy of the submission to everybody on the Selection Committee and, obviously, one or more of the Committee members then nominated O'Ree for induction. Then he would have come up for a vote. Anybody in the public can make a submission in this way. So, if anybody thinks that Firsov, for example, has possibly never been considered for the Hall (which might be the case), you are free to organize and send a submission. The Chair of the Hall will forward your submission to all members of the Selection Committee.

Apparently Paul Henderson has been nominated several times and has never received the required number of votes.

Last edited:

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Behind?

I am surprised that YOU put him ahead of the other three in the "pecking order". I think you misspoke. I hope you simply are trying to put a positive spin on one of them being inducted even if it isn't the most deserving one, and crossing fingers on more to come.
No, you misunderstood. I meant that now that Yakushev is in, the others will shortly follow.

But FWIW I like Yakushev more than all the others that I mentioned. There is more to life than offensive stats. Yakushev came through when needed most.

Reactions: Thenameless

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad