Do you play with 2 Goaltenders or 3?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TropicalFruitGirl2

A Peachy Hockey Gal!
Feb 23, 2013
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
I play in two leagues, on is a Keep 5 league the other is a one year league.
Both have goalie appearance requirements of at least 3 games or you forfeit all goalie categories.

3 doesn't sound like much, but sometimes, due to wonky scheduling, it may be harder than anticipated to get in those three starts if you only have two goalies.
Thus I carry three usually.
They are usually in one of the following formats:
--Two #1 starters, plus some other team's backup (best if the backup plays more than just once a month!)
--Two #1 starters, plus one of the backups of the starters I already have (this will guarantee you get all that team's starts..EX: Rask and Halak)
--Three #1 starters....ideal, but hardest to maintain especially if in a Keep 5 league where the GM's are goalie hungry sharks!

In emergency situations, or uncertain situations (is the starting goalie being usurped, are there injury issues, etc), I may stream in, or temporarily carry a 4th goalie (it usually ends up being someone's backup), which of course, cannibalizes a skater roster spot.

But yea, three goalie system for me.
I used to run two and that is fine...…….if everyone stays healthy, the two goalies get their starts regularly, and there are no scheduling abnormalities.
For me, having a third netminder helps offset some of those things....plus it gives me options in case one of my regular starting goalies is in a bad streak of play.

Boris Le Tigre

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jan 9, 2007
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Thanks for answering...
I won the league last year but completely sold the farm to do it. I made the switch to a 3 Goalie system and right now I have Mrazek, Greiss, and Samsonov. I'm last in the league so a good time to experiment.

If I'm a little more competitive in the remaining weeks I think I'll start that way next year too

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I'm carrying 6 goalies per team in 2 of my leagues, and in the other I've got 5

Boris Le Tigre

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jan 9, 2007
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I'm carrying 6 goalies per team in 2 of my leagues, and in the other I've got 5

What's the roster make-up in your league?

In theory I could carry that many. Mine is 6 F; 4D; 2G in the starting line up + 4 bench slots, which can be G's.

You place a high value on the Gs. Do you use any tactics ...say, trying to have opponents in a match-up, can guarantee win points.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
What's the roster make-up in your league?

In theory I could carry that many. Mine is 6 F; 4D; 2G in the starting line up + 4 bench slots, which can be G's.

You place a high value on the Gs. Do you use any tactics ...say, trying to have opponents in a match-up, can guarantee win points.

I play in roto leagues that have a limit on games played

2 C = 164 games
2 LW = 164 games
2 RW = 164 games
4 D = 328 games
2 G = 164 games

There's no value in carrying a 5th D-man, or a 3rd C, LW, or RW since they won't get in your lineup unless there's an injury to a starter

Goalies, however, can be rotated into the lineup on a daily basis without having to worry about reaching the limit on games played

Carrying so many goalies also allows me to be more selective with match-ups

Also, there are fewer goaltenders than skaters, so they're in higher demand. If a team needs goaltending help, you can charge a premium since most other managers carrying 2 - 3 goaltenders will be reluctant to part with one

Reactions: Huety Louis

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad