Xfinity dropping MSG

OriginalLimbo

May 27, 2019
From the below article, these numbers don’t make a lot of sense to me:
“Comcast says that the numbers they collect on MSG’s viewership -- Comcast claims that just 4 percent of the 566,000 customers who receive the network watch 15 or more hours of it per year -- does not warrant the current fees customers pay nor the price increase MSG is demanding.”

https://www.nj.com/devils/2021/09/c...-bulls-islanders-fans-in-nj-empty-handed.html

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
This sucks. Guess I'll just have to watch the games online.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
From the below article, these numbers don’t make a lot of sense to me:
“Comcast says that the numbers they collect on MSG’s viewership -- Comcast claims that just 4 percent of the 566,000 customers who receive the network watch 15 or more hours of it per year -- does not warrant the current fees customers pay nor the price increase MSG is demanding.”

https://www.nj.com/devils/2021/09/c...-bulls-islanders-fans-in-nj-empty-handed.html
I have a hard time believing only 22k people watched at least 15 hours of MSG a year. That's watching just 5 games of not only the Rangers to choose from but Rangers, Islanders, Devils, Knicks, Red Bulls, Giants pregame and postgame shows. Between all of those teams, you're basically covering everything for local sports teams, you're telling me only 4% of their audience watches local sports?

Wouldn't be surprised if there is some finagling going on with those numbers to make them appear worse than they actually are.

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
I just pay for the NHL app now and switch my VPN to out of country for blackout games. $120ish per year to watch every NHL game.

Last edited:

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
I have a hard time believing only 22k people watched at least 15 hours of MSG a year. That's watching just 5 games of not only the Rangers to choose from but Rangers, Islanders, Devils, Knicks, Red Bulls, Giants pregame and postgame shows. Between all of those teams, you're basically covering everything for local sports teams, you're telling me only 4% of their audience watches local sports?

Wouldn't be surprised if there is some finagling going on with those numbers to make them appear worse than they actually are.

Positively.

For instance, I doubt those numbers reflect the amount of people streaming content from MSGGo with their Comcast/Xfinity logins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad