Xavier Ouellet

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
Hey Wings fans,

I didn't find a thread on Oullet so I thought I'd start one to ask how he is progressing. I remember him looking smooth during the WJC for Canada but haven't heard much about his progress since.

Do you see him becoming a top-4 regular in the NHL with the Wings or anywhere else? How does his upside look?

Thanks for the input!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I think he's a great #3 D with Vlasic like potential. If he gets it with Detroit or another team, that's to be seen.

MTU hockey

Mar 4, 2013
Colorado
I see him as a Hjarmalsson type #3 dman. They even have a decent amount in common, both aren't the most fleet of foot and not very useful in the offensive zone (although Ouellet probably has slightly better offensive potential) but both are excellent in the defensive zone with good positioning and good outlet passes along with some physicality. His potential is probably around what DeKeyser is now, being the safe defensive half of the 2nd defense pairing and logging heavy PK minutes. Point totals in the NHL are probably going to be similar to Hjarmalsson's with roughly 15-20 points a year with no PP time. He probably could have been in the NHL last year and probably would have on most other NHL teams, but for some reason the Wings like blocking him with players with no future here (Kindl, Quincey). young dmen are going to have growing pains at the NHL level, id rather they get them over with before our top players decline more or blocking them with mediocre players

Last edited:

ZDatsZuke

This year, maybe
Mar 23, 2010
I think he will slot in as a solid #2 eventually, skates and handles the puck rather well, comfortable in the defensive zone unlike other panicky players that usually hang out in that area.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Wow, great. Thanks so far for all the input. High expectations indeed.

You think he'll stick this year?

Nope, too much bodies in front. have to wait Quincey to let walk as UFA and Kindl traded (probably next summer). Then he could have a regular spot.

he's young, he has time to develop and wait.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Now that he has had a bit more seasoning, what do u guys see as his upside? Or what does he likely become?

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Now that he has had a bit more seasoning, what do u guys see as his upside? Or what does he likely become?

I think he's pretty much done growing and I see him as a 2nd-3rd line tweeter with limited offensive contributions but pretty decent passing. Mediocre size and skating but pretty good vision and defensively responsible. Essentially he's nothing special but I'm happy to keep him around as the anchor of our third pairing. I'd trade him for anything more than a third round pick.

Aug 6, 2012
Incredibly smart player but his skating will hold him back. Always been one of my fav prospects. I see a #4 ceiling tops, on a good team, because of his skating.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
His skating is his weakness, but his IQ makes up for it. He is surprisingly feisty. I didn't realize that about him, but when he's ticked off, he plays with a mean streak.

He's stable, reliable and a valuable asset to have on your bottom 4. I really like his game.

If he had Jensen's skating ability and Sproul's shot and offensive instincts, he'd be an elite top pairing guy.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
If he keeps working on his skating he can still progress for many years. I think he can reach a level where he's a legit #3D.

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
His physical tools are a significant issue (poor skating, average size, weak shot) but he plays a smart all-around game. He's definitely not the one-dimensional defensive player that he gets portrayed as. He actually likes to carry the puck and lead the rush despite his skating woes. He is great at getting his shot through traffic on net (although it's not particularly dangerous when it gets there, relying more on creating rebounds for scoring opportunities). Since Ouellet entered league, only Mike Green averages more 5v5 P/60 than him among Red Wings' defensemen (minimum of 1000 minutes, Jensen also averages more if you lower the minutes requirement).

It's really unlikely that his skating gets better (he's probably too old at this point to see any major improvements). He doesn't solve the Wings' primary problems (lack of high-impact talent), but he's a useful player nonetheless.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
If he keeps working on his skating he can still progress for many years. I think he can reach a level where he's a legit #3D.

He's 23. His game can progress, but it's not like he's suddenly going to become a quick skater. You either have wheels or don't. Guys can noticeably improve strength and balance, but speed isn't really taught.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

He's ideal as a bottom 3 dman. Some think he can hold down the #3 spot but I truly like Jensen much more in pretty much all aspects. If you have a chance to claim Jensen by all means do so, on a good team he could become a strong point producer.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I thought he was really solid when he got a chance this last season. He would be a #4 or #5 on a team that could give him a partner with even a little puckmoving ability. He probably doesn't have a lot more upside if he can't find that extra gear in his skating, but I think he's a valuable depth guy. Unfortunately, he's on a team flush with depth guys.

It's a shame, really, because I think he has more offensive upside than he ever gets to show. His skating never really lets him pinch or hold plays at the blue line. He knows if he plays aggressively, he'll never get back in time.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
He's 23. His game can progress, but it's not like he's suddenly going to become a quick skater. You either have wheels or don't. Guys can noticeably improve strength and balance, but speed isn't really taught.
Skating is actually something that can be improved for a long time. He'll never be fast but I thought he already looked way quicker and more mobile this season than he did 1-2 years ago.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Skating is actually something that can be improved for a long time. He'll never be fast but I thought he already looked way quicker and more mobile this season than he did 1-2 years ago.

With hard work he'll be moving like Jensen.

XO is slow. He's always going to be slow as a NHL player no matter how much work he puts in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad