Recalled/Assigned: Xavier Ouellet recalled from GR

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Yep that's why they wanted to buy out Sammy, and Emmerton played a whopping 18 games that year (not that Nyquist was ever competing for the job of 4th line C but still).

At one point Dan Cleary WAS better than Tatar and Nyquist. He was arguably better than both of them as late as 2012-13.
And it doesn't matter that Babcock wanted XO up. Because after a while, he sent XO down and went with Marchenko instead. Young players that want to be NHLers before they're out of waiver options have to take the chances they get. That's what Larkin did, that's what Sheahan, Jurco and Marchenko did. That's what AA is close to doing. Let's see what XO can do now.

2012 and 2013 Dan Cleary was not better than 2012 and 2013 Nyquist and Tatar. That's madness. neither was Williams, Samuelsson, and whomever was jamming up the roster with empty space those seasons.

The only reason Sheahan and Jurco made the team is because we got caught with so many injuries that they actually had an opportunity to prove themselves, and it became
So quickly apparent that they were so much better than the players whose places they had taken.

Larkin is literally the exception to the rule.

korrowan

Sponsor
Feb 8, 2011
Yep that's why they wanted to buy out Sammy, and Emmerton played a whopping 18 games that year (not that Nyquist was ever competing for the job of 4th line C but still).

At one point Dan Cleary WAS better than Tatar and Nyquist. He was arguably better than both of them as late as 2012-13.
And it doesn't matter that Babcock wanted XO up. Because after a while, he sent XO down and went with Marchenko instead. Young players that want to be NHLers before they're out of waiver options have to take the chances they get. That's what Larkin did, that's what Sheahan, Jurco and Marchenko did. That's what AA is close to doing. Let's see what XO can do now.

If you actually truly believe any of what you are saying then it is impossible to reason with you as you are unreasonable. Ericsson has been straight up awful this year and is on a terrible contract. Those other guys are bad, were bad and most not even in the league after Detroit because they were so bad. Cleary, Samuelsson etc were garbage retreads that were being allowed to hang around because of veteran loyalty which is the same thing that is happening with Ericsson.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Nice game from Ouellet. Don't remember any defensive lapses.

2 scoring attempts, 1 assist. Was not on the ice for any Bruins goal (all other defencemen did at least once), +1.

Great to see him up again.

Last edited:

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
By that logic they must've thought Nyquist was worse than Cleary, Emmerton, and Sammy in 2013.

A) Maybe a stretch where Nyquist has been dumped onto the 4th line is a less than fortuitous moment to make a point like that?

B) I have to assume you're more aware of how forward roles differ from dman roles and you're just trying to skim across some of the more commonly-understood aspects of on-ice usage to make a silly joke.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Better skater. Bigger. Better offensively (much better production in the AHL). XO has 25 NHL games. And he looked pretty rough at the end of his NHL stint last season. Saying he's better than anyone on our team right now is based on nothing but the fact that he is a prospect, just like Kindl, Ericsson and Smith were all hyped as prospects too.

I like XO. But his first order of business is proving he can cut it as a 3rd pairing d-man in the NHL. Maybe after that he can start challenging Ericsson.

He's not better in the ozone. Plus ouellet is point per game give him 10 games ;)

The only thing that he might me better then ouellet at is physical. And that shouldn't keep ouellet in the minors

At least I hope you mean bigger is physical. Cause otherwise you just said your paying Ericsson 4 mil to be 6"4 or whatever he is :laugh: cause he's tall

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
2012 and 2013 Dan Cleary was not better than 2012 and 2013 Nyquist and Tatar. That's madness.
2012-13, Cleary had 15 points in 48 games. Nyquist had 6 in 22 (a 13-point pace in 48 games), Tatar 7 in 18 (18-point pace). Such madness. Cleary could actually still kill penalties that year pretty decently, and he added 10 points in 14 playoff games. Tatar so far has 4 points in 12 playoff games and Nyquist has 7 in 30. If you're counting, that makes for 11 combined points in 42 combined games. Compared to Cleary's 10 in 14 that year. MADNESS!

If you actually truly believe any of what you are saying then it is impossible to reason with you as you are unreasonable.
See above. If it's unreasonable to suggest that most of our young players have become full-time NHLers at the time they were actually ready, then I guess I'm unreasonable. This board loves to think that a kid who comes up and does well could have done that 1 or 2 or 3 years earlier. In most cases (Nyquist, Tatar, XO etc) we have solid proof that's not the case, but it's ignored.

He's not better in the ozone. Plus ouellet is point per game give him 10 games ;)

The only thing that he might me better then ouellet at is physical. And that shouldn't keep ouellet in the minors

At least I hope you mean bigger is physical. Cause otherwise you just said your paying Ericsson 4 mil to be 6"4 or whatever he is :laugh: cause he's tall
I really like XO, and he had a good game. But his problem last year was he got worse the more games he played, not better. When you see that trend in a young player, it usually means they're not ready and it leads to them being sent down. If XO gets to continue playing he'll need to build on this performance and maintain a high level of play.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
2012-13, Cleary had 15 points in 48 games. Nyquist had 6 in 22 (a 13-point pace in 48 games), Tatar 7 in 18 (18-point pace). Such madness. Cleary could actually still kill penalties that year pretty decently, and he added 10 points in 14 playoff games. Tatar so far has 4 points in 12 playoff games and Nyquist has 7 in 30. If you're counting, that makes for 11 combined points in 42 combined games. Compared to Cleary's 10 in 14 that year. MADNESS!

Who were Cleary's typical linemates in 2012-13?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad