X60 Intermediate butt end/stick extension?

UvBnDatsyuked

Apr 30, 2005
Son has a perfectly good and loved x60 Limited Edition intermediate hockey stick but it is a couple inches too short. I have searched the net and hockey stores and I am having no luck in finding a butt end/stick extension for this stick (or any intermediate for that matter)

Any help?

Thanks

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I use an X60 intermediate and I just sanded down a regular senior wood end plug. Just get a rasp file and sand it down, then use some 200-300 grit sandpaper to smooth it. I also like to round the handle a little bit up top. If you've got power tools, it goes even quicker.

It makes it even lighter feeling and seems to add a kick to the shots in my mind. I'm going to make one for my other stick which is already cut down to length.

superhakan

Gaudreauby Baker
Dec 2, 2008
I use an X60 intermediate and I just sanded down a regular senior wood end plug. Just get a rasp file and sand it down, then use some 200-300 grit sandpaper to smooth it. I also like to round the handle a little bit up top. If you've got power tools, it goes even quicker.

It makes it even lighter feeling and seems to add a kick to the shots in my mind. I'm going to make one for my other stick which is already cut down to length.

Are you Marty St. Louis????

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I wish! I'm only 5'8 and I was testing an Oggie grip that you have to cut your stick down 5" to install. I put it on another stick and put a wood plug in the X60 and I liked the shot/feel/balance even better. It feels like a catapult now.

For reference I cut 4" off an intermediate stick normally because I like them under my mouth in bare feet. So I would probably cut off another 3" and install the wood plug. Lots of NHL'ers do that by the way.

superhakan

Gaudreauby Baker
Dec 2, 2008
I wish! I'm only 5'8 and I was testing an Oggie grip that you have to cut your stick down 5" to install. I put it on another stick and put a wood plug in the X60 and I liked the shot/feel/balance even better. It feels like a catapult now.

For reference I cut 4" off an intermediate stick normally because I like them under my mouth in bare feet. So I would probably cut off another 3" and install the wood plug. Lots of NHL'ers do that by the way.

Hmm interesting. The only reason i brought that up is I know Marty did that. I have an Intermediate Reebok Ai5 I should consider trying that with.....

UvBnDatsyuked

Apr 30, 2005
Thanks for the replies. I ended up finding a sporting goods store that had a big assortment of wood butt ends for different sticks (all labeled Sr. or Jr. and all were a little different from one another) Found a Jr. that appeared to fit best. When I got home I sanded a few areas and fits perfect.

It just seems really strange that Jr and Sr butt ends are easy to find but intermediate one's are not around. Oh well

hyster110

Mar 21, 2011
Thanks for the replies. I ended up finding a sporting goods store that had a big assortment of wood butt ends for different sticks (all labeled Sr. or Jr. and all were a little different from one another) Found a Jr. that appeared to fit best. When I got home I sanded a few areas and fits perfect.

It just seems really strange that Jr and Sr butt ends are easy to find but intermediate one's are not around. Oh well

most jr's will fit intermediate sticks anyways

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I spent about 45 minutes shaving a senior down last night. I found that the intermediate wood plugs are too wide in one direction and too short in another. For some reason I like working on the plug, sanding and shaving by hand, makes me feel like it's more personal!

hyster110

Mar 21, 2011
i would rather use a plug then one of those oogie grips, those just look really awkward. if your finding a butt-end is loose put a strip of tape on it before you put it. that makes it really tight

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I go back and forth on the Oggie grips and was given the opportunity to review a couple custom made ones. The custom grips are really a great idea, but I just prefer the straight end plugs. If I had NHL money I'd probably get a bunch just because you never have to worry about your tape job or anything, just cut the stick and put the plug in. And the custom flex is a nice idea too, depending on the flex of the stick you're using. It just so happens I use intermediate sticks which are too whippy, so I have been putting wood plugs in sticks to stiffen them up and improve the balance, and I like that feel anyway, and they're $5 instead of $20+.

hyster110

Mar 21, 2011
I go back and forth on the Oggie grips and was given the opportunity to review a couple custom made ones. The custom grips are really a great idea, but I just prefer the straight end plugs. If I had NHL money I'd probably get a bunch just because you never have to worry about your tape job or anything, just cut the stick and put the plug in. And the custom flex is a nice idea too, depending on the flex of the stick you're using. It just so happens I use intermediate sticks which are too whippy, so I have been putting wood plugs in sticks to stiffen them up and improve the balance, and I like that feel anyway, and they're $5 instead of $20+.

have you been putting them in the original shaft or have you been making the sticks longer, cause putting pugs in lessens the flex on composite sticks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad