Confirmed with Link: X Penguin Ryan Whitney retires

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
Meanwhile the older Chris Kunitz is still playing at a high level..

But yeah, back door pass to Whitney on his off hand on the powerplay. Still haven't been able to reproduce that.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
The beauty of that post is reading down though and seeing the guys wishing him good luck. Pretty cool stuff. Whitney had real potential to be a big point defenseman. Those feet were pretty bad though.

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
He literally just played for MODO the other day. Guess he decided that he just couldn't do it anymore. Best of luck to him.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
If he could have stayed healthy he would still be in the midst of a pretty damn good career I think.

I agree. With what offensive defensemen get paid these days - Ryan Whitney would have been gettin' PAIDDD

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
Him beating the crap out of a random Senator during a blowout in the 2008 playoff is one of my favorite memories of those Cup runs. Seemed like a great guy too.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Such a weird career. He was never a good player in his own end but before the foot problems he was a decent skater for his size and a pretty good offensive d-man.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Whitney's breakout pass was outstanding. He never looked down at the puck and could hit guys with ropes up ice.

He was never a physical guy, but I would venture to guess how unstable he was with his feet and ankles had a lot to do with that.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Too bad he had more brittle feet than even Forsberg. Should have had a much longer career with his talent and attitude. Happy trails, Ryan.

Him beating the crap out of a random Senator during a blowout in the 2008 playoff is one of my favorite memories of those Cup runs. Seemed like a great guy too.

That was Wade Redden, back when Sid's teammates actually defended their captain.

I never disliked Whitney as much as most on here. Guess I focused on what he was, namely a great skater and passer who just never played up to his impressive size, instead of what everyone wanted him to be. Was a popular guy in the locker room, too. Well maybe not with Ryan Malone...

kodoshin

Mar 26, 2007
Some great memories from him. The one puck my father recovered at a game was sent out of play by him.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Andy Chiodo sighting!

Haha. Such a weird prospect.

I dig Bob McKenzie and Bucci giving him props. One thing about Whit - great interview, tons of personality, absolutely hysterical. I wish it worked out here for him. I was a fan of his until he left. Many couldn't accept the fact that he wasn't going to be a physical defenseman.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Oh, for sure. He'll do just fine for himself after hockey. He's got the personality to immediately jump over to some sort of media. He's also a smart dude.

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008
I liked Whitney. Thought he got a bad rap at times, but it's a shame he was never able to get over his foot issues.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
The Redden fight will be one of my more vivid memories of him. Shame his career didn't turn out as it could have due to his feet.

Reminds me of some old crappy shops from the trade to Anaheim
ScoutTroopWhitney.jpg

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I liked Whitney, but it was clear his foot issue was a real problem around the time the Pens moved him, sucks it ended his career.

Edit: He actually would be a fantastic Analyst, the Pens would be smart to offer that to him, the guy isn't just hilarious but also a pretty natural "talker" for a job like that. Some people just do it because most do it after their playing career and man do most suck. Whits would actually be pretty decent.

Last edited:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Could you imagine Whitney between the benches? Gold right there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad