News Article: Wyshynski: Matt Beleskey, Jimmy Hayes and an epically bad start

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Matt Beleskey, Jimmy Hayes and an epically bad start

The Boston Bruins are off to a 4-4-0 start, which isn’t all that bad considering Tuukka Rask missed a few of them.

That 2.25 goals-per-game average, fourth-lowest in the NHL, could be a bit higher, though. Which brings us to Matt Beleskey and Jimmy Hayes.

There are bad starts to the season, and then there are Matt Beleskey and Jimmy Hayes. They’re both pointless this season. They’re both a minus-7. In Beleskey’s case, there isn’t another forward in the NHL this season (with at least five games played) who is over 15 minutes a game in ice time (15:43) and has yet to register a point.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
I can see Beleskey turning it around some if given the right linemates but I'm not so sure about Hayes.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
That line is at least defensively responsible. I know they aren't very good but Im not going to flip out about it unless they start being scored against regularly. Should be better once Backes, Pasternak, and Vatrano are in the lineup.

Hayes should be waived and we just deal with a little less cap room next year while he plays in Providence.

I'll wait until the 30-40 game mark to worry about Beleskey. At least with him the production doesn't matter if the speed, grit, and hustle returns which it should he'll be OK.

Can add Spooner to the list of disappointments with these 2. After the camp he had its a shame hes playing like he did during out end of season collapses last 2 years.

Jorah Marshmont

Long may he reign
May 10, 2012
That line is at least defensively responsible. I know they aren't very good but Im not going to flip out about it unless they start being scored against regularly. Should be better once Backes, Pasternak, and Vatrano are in the lineup.

Hayes should be waived and we just deal with a little less cap room next year while he plays in Providence.

I'll wait until the 30-40 game mark to worry about Beleskey. At least with him the production doesn't matter if the speed, grit, and hustle returns which it should he'll be OK.

Can add Spooner to the list of disappointments with these 2. After the camp he had its a shame hes playing like he did during out end of season collapses last 2 years.

They have the worst +/- on the team. I know, crappy stat, but they've been on the ice for 7 out of 16 goals scored against at even strength. I wouldn't call that "defensively responsible"

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
They have the worst +/- on the team. I know, crappy stat, but they've been on the ice for 7 out of 16 goals scored against at even strength. I wouldn't call that "defensively responsible"

Maybe. I'm just saying I can live with them another 5-10 games when the options are putting a guy like Spooner on it who doesn't play D or bringing up a kid who isn't ready.

This would actually be a HUGE problem if the 4th line wasn't so good.

since76

Jul 14, 2005
Quebec
It is so funny when people talk about how a player play well, no problem if he don't produce.
I asked to my boss today..."hey boss, if i work hard everyday but produce nothing, it is ok ?"
He told me, " you don't work , you don't produce, you are a lazy worker, i fire you and you deserve it and if you work hard and you don't produce, i fire you but you don't deserve it, it is the pnly difference"

Jorah Marshmont

Long may he reign
May 10, 2012
Maybe. I'm just saying I can live with them another 5-10 games when the options are putting a guy like Spooner on it who doesn't play D or bringing up a kid who isn't ready.

I see your point, I just feel like the positives of playing the young guys outweigh the positives of playing Beleskey and Hayes right now. They're on a completely different level of suck on both sides of the puck.

I agree with your comment about Beleskey though, I think he'll turn it around with better linemates. And I would be very glad if they waived Hayes.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

You and Claude are probably the only ones.

When Pasta returns, Hayes needs to come out.

When Backes returns, this article rags on Belesky but Nash then needs to come out (another member of the scoreless club).

Forget the 4th line, you can't expect them to produce the way they have thus far the entire season.

Good news is when healthy I see no reason for at least 2/3 of this line to be in the line-up at all. When Vatrano returns you could argue the entire 3rd line should be out of the line-up. Although given what he makes I'm willing to be more patient with Belesky.

But 7 out of 16 EV strength goals against when this line is on the ice, it is far from responsible defensively.

Then again, you also said Carlo is already one of the best defensive players in the league.

Probably time to stop commenting on a player or line's defensive acumen.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
You and Claude are probably the only ones.

When Pasta returns, Hayes needs to come out.

When Backes returns, this article rags on Belesky but Nash then needs to come out (another member of the scoreless club).

Forget the 4th line, you can't expect them to produce the way they have thus far the entire season.

Good news is when healthy I see no reason for at least 2/3 of this line to be in the line-up at all. When Vatrano returns you could argue the entire 3rd line should be out of the line-up. Although given what he makes I'm willing to be more patient with Belesky.

But 7 out of 16 EV strength goals against when this line is on the ice, it is far from responsible defensively.

Then again, you also said Carlo is already one of the best defensive players in the league.

Probably time to stop commenting on a player or line's defensive acumen.

No I was saying I wouldn't make the line worse defensively by playing Spooner on it just to get the occasional goal every 3rd or 4th game. Backes and Pasternak aren't returning to play on this line they are returning to play with DK and Bergy. Moore and the 2 Friars are legit in that role.

And yes our 19 year old D man is already better defensively than most D men in the NHL. Doesn't mean I am putting him in the hall of fame. It just means that just like Krug cemented himself immediately as a Bruins regular with offense and some big goals Carlo has done the same with defense and stabilized a huge problem area for us. You probably want to trade Carlo for someone who is better on playstation I want to keep him no matter what because hes already very good at defense.

TheBigBadB

Feb 13, 2003
North Andover
Visit site
You have to understand Julien. Henien and Czarnik are out when Backes and Pasta are back. C Miller is next when when K Miller is back. There is a reason why Julien has not touched both the 3rd and 4th line to date. He likes then because they are the best defensively responsible option. Don and Julien have their jobs on the line and if it's 1-0 boring games it does not matter. Playoffs is all that matters this year even at the cost of development. Carlo is probably the only one safe due to his defensive IQ.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
We can't get Hayes out of the lineup because of a minor salary commitment...makes me laugh when people even think about Beleskey.

While I hope the Bruins get to the point of eating whatever discomfort they have to, to get rid of Hayes...Beleskey is in. Call him a project. Call him whatever you want. But we own it.

With Beleskey, you go back to what most people like about him, he hits, is rugid...forget about the scoring and just play physical - it will work out from there. Line 4. Take the pressure off. Back to basics.

But yeah, shaking up L3 seems like a good idea. It's not functioning.

Spooner needs to play center...you go from there. Find people that work with him.

I appreciate Hayes honest effort this year...but this being his last year is still something I think I will be thrilled with about this season. A top 3. Haha

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Hayes is Hayes. A dud, I mean. But Beleskey is playing without that "fire" he always used to display. That's odd.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
I like thinking about a top six of:

Marchand - Bergeron - Pasta
Vatrano - Krejci - Backes

Although I wouldn't mind trying

Beleskey - Krejci - Backes

and give Spooner a shooter in Vatrano.

Or even...
Bergy line
Beleskey - Krejci - Spooner
Vatrano - Backes - Hayes/Heinen/Czarnik/whoever

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
We can't get Hayes out of the lineup because of a minor salary commitment...makes me laugh when people even think about Beleskey.

While I hope the Bruins get to the point of eating whatever discomfort they have to, to get rid of Hayes...Beleskey is in. Call him a project. Call him whatever you want. But we own it.

With Beleskey, you go back to what most people like about him, he hits, is rugid...forget about the scoring and just play physical - it will work out from there. Line 4. Take the pressure off. Back to basics.

But yeah, shaking up L3 seems like a good idea. It's not functioning.

Spooner needs to play center...you go from there. Find people that work with him.

I appreciate Hayes honest effort this year...but this being his last year is still something I think I will be thrilled with about this season. A top 3. Haha

They need to put two top offensive players per line and build from there.

-------------- Krejci Backes
Marchand Bergeron -------------
-----------------Spooner Pasternak
Nash Moore Shaller

pierre gagnon*

Mar 15, 2013
St. Catharines
I think Beleskey's ceiling is Paille at best, skate, hit and dump it in, do not stick handle and score maybe 10 goals. If he does not skate hard and hit he is useless, no better then Hayes. Those 2 without a doubt have been horrible so far.

mmk

Sep 5, 2014
Isnt everyone not 37 63 88 or newer folks Backes and Carlo off to a bad start?

Tuukka has been great and Z has been damn good. Dommy, Acciari, Schaller very good as well. So basically half the team has performed at or above expectations and half below.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
I think Beleskey's ceiling is Paille at best, skate, hit and dump it in, do not stick handle and score maybe 10 goals. If he does not skate hard and hit he is useless, no better then Hayes. Those 2 without a doubt have been horrible so far.

His season last year beats any season of Paille's career. How is his ceiling a lesser player?

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

being -7 after 8 games by definition = being scored against regularly

8 games is a bit of a blip but hayes is giving us what many like me expected from him... its about time to start forcing him to earn his icetime. as for belesky, he needs to be bringing physicality to contribute. points is a bonus. weve seen him contribute in the past so im tempted to wonder if hes banged up?

its not good though through 8 games for these guys... our 3rd line has been owned

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Sorry to break it to you but Hayes has a year left after this. :facepalm:

No. This is it. This season is going no where. They will use this deadline to cut fat...and Hayes is the fattyest. Haha

I don't know how they'll get him out of town...but I do feel confident he won't be here next year. They can't start another season with Hayes and have playoff expectations.

They need to put two top offensive players per line and build from there.

-------------- Krejci Backes
Marchand Bergeron -------------
-----------------Spooner Pasternak
Nash Moore Shaller

Hmmm. How about just worry about L1 and L2, and give Spooner some wily pluggers. I'd hope Backes could motivate Krejci and Beleskey.

Marchand-Bergeron-Pasta
Beleskey-Krejci-Backes
Heinen-Spooner-Moore
Nash-Acciari-Schaller

Shake things up.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
if everyone is healthy... my first suggestion for lines based on what ive seen this year...

heinen/bergeron/marchand
backes/krejci/vatrano
pastrnak/spooner/belesky
accari/moore/schaller
nash as the super sub

hayes shopped for a bag of pucks... if he cant be moved we expose him to vegas next year... ive given up on him being able to contibute here

czarik pushes for icetime if anyone falters

if either krecji or spooner get dealt for a dman, backes slides to center moving forward.

forward group is well managed... if healthy theres more than enough depth here to score and the group will be responsible. looking forward you see shyshyn and debrusk pushing belesky out... one of the kid centers at providence replacing moore... theres not alot of other changes necessary.

even loosing either krecji or spooner isnt a huge hurt for us... but keeping hayes in the lineup is clearly costing us

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
With Vatrano, Bergy, Backes and Pasta all having missed games and Krejci on the mend, then throw in a few rookies, it has been easy for opponents to shut down the bit of offence this team can muster. If and when they can fire on all cylinders they should be harder to deal with. Hopefully Beleskey and maybe even Hayes can get back to producing.

Last edited:

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
if everyone is healthy... my first suggestion for lines based on what ive seen this year...

heinen/bergeron/marchand
backes/krejci/vatrano
pastrnak/spooner/belesky
accari/moore/schaller
nash as the super sub

hayes shopped for a bag of pucks... if he cant be moved we expose him to vegas next year... ive given up on him being able to contibute here

czarik pushes for icetime if anyone falters

if either krecji or spooner get dealt for a dman, backes slides to center moving forward.

forward group is well managed... if healthy theres more than enough depth here to score and the group will be responsible. looking forward you see shyshyn and debrusk pushing belesky out... one of the kid centers at providence replacing moore... theres not alot of other changes necessary.

even loosing either krecji or spooner isnt a huge hurt for us... but keeping hayes in the lineup is clearly costing us

Really like those lines, that's what I would roll with when everyone is healthy with the exception of Nash. Think I would rather go with Czarnik. Nash has been pretty bad.

The problem is , is everyone going to healthy at once ? Would Claude roll with those lines? Both seem like a stretch based on what we've seen so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad