WWYD: On this goalie interference challenge?

w e l o s t b o y s

Drawing Frog 8
Nov 21, 2009
London

scenario is Canes on the powerplay already, delayed penalty being called against New Jersey. Canes score, called no goal on the ice for interference.

Options are take the 5-on-3, challenge and be up one, challenge and now you're on the 4-on-4 5-on-4 with offsetting

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

scenario is Canes on the powerplay already, delayed penalty being called against New Jersey. Canes score, called no goal on the ice for interference.

Options are take the 5-on-3, challenge and be up one, challenge and now you're on the 4-on-4

Options are challenge goalie interference,
If win then goal counts and still a 5 on 4.
If lose challenge then 4 on 4.
Looks like a good call to me, goalie is at top of paint, but still in blue (barely).

What’s a WWYD btw.

Last edited:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Probably shitpost on HFBoards about it

I don't mind the challenge there, seems like some marginal contact. If it wasn't a delayed penalty I might feel different.

Reactions: DaveG

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Teams have video guys who's only job is to review plays and say if it should be challenged.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I don't think I would challenge it. Because it was called no goal on the ice, the replay has to essentially clearly show that there was no goalie interference for me to win the challenge. And I don't think it does.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Challenge and hope the wheel of justice lands on my team's logo

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Losing that challenge resulted in PP to continue, not 4-on-4, because of offsetting penalties.

I was thinking about making this same thread, and I would have probably taken the 5-on-3 PP.

Reactions: DaveG

ijuka

May 14, 2016
In the fall, I remember someone grabbed a goalie from behind the elbow and dragged them out of the net with them, a good 5 feet or so, completely out of the net. That was a good goal. (IIRC Eller did the dragging but I can't remember which goal it was otherwise). Then this gets called for goalie interference.

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
Goalies can do whatever the f*** they want, and at some point the smart ones will figure out that you can just step out of your crease into a skater and then claim you got interfered with afterward.
Eh, the Rangers get effed on goalie interference constantly. Hank and Igor both needed to get hit by actual trucks to get a call.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I wouldn’t challenge and just accept the 5on3. There’s a very slim chance they are overturning the call to me.

Why do we even have a goalie cease? I think if a goalie is out of his cease then incidental contact shouldn’t really matter

He was barely outside the top of the crease challenging a shot, that still goalies real estate.

It’s not like he came way out of the net to dive or poke check, in that case incidental contact would not matter.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
The fun wrinkle stated in the broadcast slightly later - the zone entry was offside. If Carolina won the challenge for GI, the Devils would have successfully challenged for offside play, and the goal would have been disallowed anyway. But Carolina would have been in a better position power play wise.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
First contact with Daws was giant and the knob of his stick while he’s in the crease, wouldn’t have mattered though, play was offside on the entry anyway and it would have come off the board.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad